Thread: Pac boots

Default Pac boots

Well after 15 years or so my pac boot soles are splitting out. I am not a bunny boot guy and am looking for a new pac boot. It looks like a sorel intrepid or a baffin apex. Any body have or use these. I snowshoe, walk, snowmachine to traplines. I put this here intentionally to get trappers opinions/ experience. Looking for a little less bulk than the old pacs that would be a little better to walk in. My feet get wet then cold in bunnies and I have even froze a toe in a pair as a kid. Any other brands out there to look at?? I will gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for a new good pair of warm boots. It is always possible a guy might have to spend the night out, so I would only consider boots rated for extreme cold.

I don't like bunny boots either, too heavy. I prefer something lighter since my feet don't ever seem to get too cold.
    I use regular Sorel caribou boots, and gators to keep the snow out. That's a light weight combo that keeps me dry/warm. Great for breaking trail.
    I have a buddy who swears by these knee high type of boots. He say's they keep snow out better, no need for gators. They're a little pricey, but worth every penny.
    http://www.rei.com/product/774592

Good luck in the search.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I don't like bunny boots either, too heavy. I prefer something lighter since my feet don't ever seem to get too cold.
    I use regular Sorel caribou boots, and gators to keep the snow out. That's a light weight combo that keeps me dry/warm. Great for breaking trail.
    I have a buddy who swears by these knee high type of boots. He say's they keep snow out better, no need for gators. They're a little pricey, but worth every penny.
    http://www.rei.com/product/774592

Good luck in the search.
    Sorry to interrupt, but what kind of gators do you use with your Sorel's?

Cabelas Predator Extreme boots. They are what I use, and I love them.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Sorry to interrupt, but what kind of gators do you use with your Sorel's?
    Buba, I use something like these. You can find similar ones cheap, for around $20. Good buy for the backcountry alaskan.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/product...ters-Mens.html

Thanks
    Alaskan yours was the kind of experience with a boot I was looking for. It's obvious in your albums they have been used in all the conditions I will be using them in. Plus they were on sale for $120.00 so I ordered a second pair of liners.
    Bob

Those baffins are pretty good. I have the same pair except they are the ones without Doug Stoup on them. Still rated for -150. I can't use them anymore though since they put me on blood pressure meds. So be careful if you have anything like that going on. They say -150 but with my feet I have no choice but bunny boots after -20. If anyone needs a set CHEAP PM me. They are 10.5 with very minimal wear.

For gaters, I LOVE my kenetrek hunting gaiters. Pretty quiet, water proof and have velcro closing. They were less than 30 shipped from amazon.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

I second Alaskan on the Cabelas Predators. Been using those boots for years. HAVE never been cold. Even when wet, they will stay warm in decent temperatures. Not that I try getting wet. I have had them out in the coldest of weather and have never been cold.

Schnee's or White's both make an awesome boot, lite and very warm in cold weather.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I tried on some of the Cabela's Predator Extremes in the lower 48 and they surely would be my choice in a Pac boot if I were in the market for some. I'm with AKPyron on the Kenetrek hunting gaiters. I've tried some other high dollar gaiters (Mtn. HW & OR) and the Kenetrek's blow them all away.

Default Excellent footwear

Thanks again to Alaskan and Northway on the advice for pac boots the predator extremes are working out great. i have only had them out four times and only 8 below for cold, but have been in 6" of overflow water/slush and feet stayed warm and dry. They are very comfortable to walk in, as i have put about 12 miles on them already. Pretty darn good boots for the price.

Inbought a pair of bunny boots as everyone said I should have them or at least try. They are okay, but in NO WAY do the compare to my Pred extremes.

Glad you like them. I've had mine for 3 years and beat them up. Real good boots!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default White's

Looking for a little less bulk than the old pacs that would be a little better to walk in.
    Check out White's Elk hunters. They are Pac boots but are great to hike in. I picked them up after a friend recommended them... I really like mine.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php...ategory_id=481

I got mine at Sweeney's in Soldatna. Check at Boot Country and Army Navy Store in Anchorage.

Trapper Bob, glad you like them! I've had mine for 6-7 years now if I recollect correctly. They are still great! I bought a new pair of liners for them even though it wasn't needed. I wouldn't go with any other boot.