Thread: Who has had luck calling in bears?

Default Who has had luck calling in bears?

A video I saw a few days ago got me thinking. I was wondering who all has had bears come in to there calling? If so what call did they respond to? I am looking at other options besides baiting for them.

I called in a nice mature black bear in The North Cascades of Western Washington 3 years back. 1 pm in the afternoon, hot and muggy, it took him 20 minutes to come into my dying rabbit mouth call ($15 msrp). I spent more time that year trying to find safe places to call solo (bears and cougars down there), with a cliff or very dense brush to my back, than I did actually calling. I predator call up here too, but I wait until the bears have gone to bed, I don't need a brownie coming in when I don't have a tag.

I had bad luck more than once because was moose calling.

A buddy of mine saw a bear a mile away or so and used a little mouse squeaker to call him in and get a shot.

Calling for bears can be very effective if done right. I use a rabbit distress call when I am out in 16b hunting browns. Its wise to have 2 people for safety reasons but I have done it by myself a few times. Find a high point (360 degree views) over looking a river/treed flats and start calling for 5 minutes then wait for 15.(Have noticed that if a black comes in that if you stop calling it will loose interest fast, so you may have to continue calling) Once you have one coming in, it will not take long to lock onto your location and then it's dinner time for the bear and you better be ready. I've used tree stands as well and feel much more comfortable up a tree then sittin on the ground but either way it can be productive and dangerous all at the same time..

Generally, calling works better when you see a bear as opposed to just blindly calling. It's also safer. I've called in bears the last few years and it works well and is always exciting. Search the forums; there have been a number of discussions on it. Here is one thread to start you out.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.