Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool duck boat over on CL

Default cool duck boat over on CL

AA Blackjack for sale over on CL

Here are the specs on that boat.

Some of you folks encountered this guy this season while he was lost in the various swamps out there.

This is a pretty good boat for most uses up here except for running shallow. It is a wide stable boat, but it is heavy at 260lbs.

Wow! That's a great price compared to new, and no shipping costs!

Wish I had the extra cash.

Erich

Believe I saw this boat on RS this year....A steal at this price....come on baby..let me get another boat.... I promise this will be the last
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That is certainly a STEAL on that price for the boat. I went to North Carolina from here in NH in 1988 to get my Wigeon boat (Name later changed to Black Jack) from the authur Armstrong company and the price then was $1500 with trailer new. Now i see that the poke boat company has bought the Armstrong company and it bis like $4800 for the boat now.

Tell you what you put some marsh grass on that and you can kill a truck load of ducks. I used mine a lot on the coast here in NH for seaduch hunting and you'll get your limit of 7 seaducks a day with no problem. It will handle 4' waves if your all alone as the front will rise that much before you plane out. I have been in 5' seas and it was a little harry in the swells but you need to ride it out.

On Mine i now have a new 8Hp 4 stroke Mercury on it and it will do 19.6 MPH according to my Garmin Etrex so you can cruise along looking for flocks to sneak up on. Just get up wind of them a 100 yards or so and drift in. Things get pretty exciting when there are 250-300 scooters in front of you and your 35 yards away. Need to let them seperate quite a bit berore you lay out more then you are allowed with a 10 Ga.

Hopefully in 4 years i'll be permeantly in alaska and the wigeon is coming with me that is for sure.

With 2 guys in the boat i can float in like 5" of water. Definitely well built and very stable as i dive off the boat during the summer and i can stand right on the side and barely rock it down 4" or so. Stand up shooting is no problem as it has a plywood floor.

After now looking at the posting to the links that AK Ray posted. I mistakenly posted that my "wigeon" was the Black Jack which is not the case. My Authur Armstrong boat is 12' 4" and the bigger boat that will handle the 25Hp engine was called the BroadBill at that time. If i remember correctly in 1988 the price on the "Broadbill/ NOW blackjack" was like $2,800-3,000 then.

She's a bute Clark!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Would be great for jim creek and those areas, to heavy for duck lake. I'm looking for something with high sides for blind, more like what duckman has if anybody knows of one. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Would be great for jim creek and those areas, to heavy for duck lake. I'm looking for something with high sides for blind, more like what duckman has if anybody knows of one. Bud
    Bud, do you mean his jon boat or his Aquapod layout kind of boat?

He changed his Aquapod over to a lay down boat a couple of years ago and no longer has the doger/blind on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Bud, do you mean his jon boat or his Aquapod layout kind of boat?

He changed his Aquapod over to a lay down boat a couple of years ago and no longer has the doger/blind on it.
    Not exactly. I can use it as both. The doors can be locked open straight up, or closed that will open with a tap of the knees (bungee cords). I have found that it's best to be as versatile as possible. That boat on CL would be fun to play with. As for duck lake, one word, winch. I have seen a lot heavier boats then that come up the bank. I however can only hunt out of one boat at a time, and am happy with what the pod does for me. Also the pod with a 6 hp mud buddy is a one man show, and with deeks and gear leaves not much room, if any for a dog.

I like the high sides and ability to use boat easily as a blind in Akduckman's boat. Actually need something a tad bit larger so that there is room for 2 plus 2 dogs. Theres a couple i talked with 2 years ago that have a home made duck boat they built at home one winter, I don't recall their names and saw the boat hunting a few times this season but never had a chance to talk with them this year. They have a great boat, mud buddy powered, and easy to hide and hunt from. I was not happy with my 12' jon boat this year, it was difficult to hunt from, if anybody wants a 12 jon for $200, let me know. Also want to upgrade my old 5 hp go devil, will sell it for $700 but not until I find a replacement. I tell you, that 13' boat is looking better, just heavy to be lugging in and out of DL all the time. Bud

Bud, if you were running into that home made boat out there, it might have been Dallen on here. He built a Sam Devlin Bluebill, which is the smaller version of my Devlin Black Brant III. His boat is also lighter than mine. There is no way I could winch my boat over the bank and into Duck Lake without damaging something.

How wide is your 12ft jon across the floor and the beam at the gunnels?

You probaly talked to Eric and his wife, they are good friends with Dallen and built the same boat. They are nice boats. My boat is a little bigger and wider than theirs, it is also a heavier. But it is very stable and my little ice breaker when needed!

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I like the high sides and ability to use boat easily as a blind in Akduckman's boat. Actually need something a tad bit larger so that there is room for 2 plus 2 dogs. Theres a couple i talked with 2 years ago that have a home made duck boat they built at home one winter, I don't recall their names and saw the boat hunting a few times this season but never had a chance to talk with them this year. They have a great boat, mud buddy powered, and easy to hide and hunt from. I was not happy with my 12' jon boat this year, it was difficult to hunt from, if anybody wants a 12 jon for $200, let me know. Also want to upgrade my old 5 hp go devil, will sell it for $700 but not until I find a replacement. I tell you, that 13' boat is looking better, just heavy to be lugging in and out of DL all the time. Bud

Ak Ray and yukon,

Post some pics of your boats guys! I'd love to see your set ups.

Erich

The Black Brant III the very first time in the water at Mud Lake in 2003.

Will we ever see water levels this high in Mud Lake again? This is back in 2005 and the boat is on a ATV trail near the mouth of Jim Creek and the Knik. This area has been dry ground the last few years.

I no longer own the truck, but the boat is still parked next to the house. This was the year before someone chainsawed a path through the trees so that they could drive their little SUVs down to the ramp without leaving a muffler behind.

Otterbfishing picking up decoys the last year I was able to get my outboard into Leaf Lake.

I have photos of Yukon's and Dallen's boats that I have captured off the interwebs over the years, but I will let them post their own photos.

Great photos! I'd love to build that boat. The photo with it sitting on the flood ATV trail is especially impressive.

Erich

AK RAY love your boat. I bought plans for the same boat about 3 years ago and am still waiting for the garage space, by garage space I mean any garage at all, to build it in. There used to be a great sight with a whole bunch of guys that had built various Devlins and the Black Brant is by far my fav. Hope one day to be out in my own but loved the pics of yours.

you can see some of my boat on this picture, the blind frame is from a failed attempt at a snow blind for late season hunts, that is why it is white, this picture was taken 6 or so years ago. the date on the photo is wrong

Shot at 2006-03-01

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    There used to be a great sight with a whole bunch of guys that had built various Devlins and the Black Brant is by far my fav.
    That site is still around, but due to the new forum format has sucked in a lot of general duck hunters who are not building their own boats. Also there was some kind of dust up on a decoy carving site this last year and a bunch of extremely gifted artists migrated over and shared their skills.

The saddest change is that Lee Harker passed away a few years ago. We all miss him greatly.

Duckboats.net is still going strong. If I post a link it breaks since I am logged in, so just google it and a link should appear.

Duckboats.net is still going strong. If I post a link it breaks since I am logged in, so just google it and a link should appear.[/QUOTE]

Yep that was the one. I got my plans shortly before the format change and it looks like they still haven't gotten the old readers rig section up an going again. It was neat to see skull boats and the diffrent ways guys hunt around the country. Sure made it hard for a guy to complain that he didn't have the things needed to hunt when you saw some of the boat conversions that some of the more "RED/GREEN" handy men made. I hope to build my boat one day, only thing I noticed on yours was that the motor seemed to be sticking out pretty far, the reason I like the BB was it seemed to have the motor tucked up pretty good in the rear of the boat hiding the profile. In regards to the boat on CL there was also a guy on the other forum that had one or two of those decked out pretty good, but I kinda like the idea of building a boat sort of like the decoy carvers I guess but I am not that old yet to start a widdeling (sp?) career.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    I hope to build my boat one day, only thing I noticed on yours was that the motor seemed to be sticking out pretty far, the reason I like the BB was it seemed to have the motor tucked up pretty good in the rear of the boat hiding the profile.
    Mine sticks out because I have the motor sitting on a jack plate.

It came in handy when running later in the year and I could raise the motor up and get into some shallow water areas that only mud motor boats were going into. It did change the high speed performance of that hull though. No more 25 to 27 mph runs across the lake with the boat dancing on top like one of those professional bass fishing boats. Now I just putt putt along at 20 to 23 mph and deal with a lot of cavitation in the corners when in the creek/slough.

Actually with the whole Jim Creek swamp area running dry I can't even use the outboard now except for a few weeks in mid summer. By the middle of October I can't even run the boat with a long tail since it draws 10 inches of water loaded. Time to build a small flat bottomed boat.

BTW - the readers rigs is only the old archive files from the old site. Eric has plans to develop a current readers rigs, but just can't get the time to write the code. So go to the second line for readers rigs and check out the history. The old Duck Boat specs pages are still around as well, but are not updated with anything current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast