Thread: WOO-HOO!! Just Bought A Jewell Trigger For $50.00!!

Default WOO-HOO!! Just Bought A Jewell Trigger For $50.00!!

Yup, I still can't believe no-one bid on it. A virtually new, entirely functional Jewell for the Model 70 Winnie for only $55.00 delivered. Sometimes eGay can be a friend. Normally these run about $239.00.

Now I need to sneak in the Hart barrel and I'll be ready for when the 'smith calls. I am turning my wife's very rare .223 WSSM Ultimate Shadow into a benchrest quality shooter. I have the brass already prepped, have tried a few bullets but nothing works well, so the new barrel will have a tighter than SAAMI spec chamber, tight neck (I'll have to turn the necks to fit), and essentially no freebore; bullets will just touch the rifling. I think 23 inches starting at 1.200" and taper to 0.900" at the muzzle. The action will be completely rebuilt: single point action & bolt, double sleeve the bolt body, bush the firing pin hole & turn pin, open action thread to 1.062 x 16 tpi, and lastly face the bolt, bolt lugs and receiver lugs. Phew!
    Yeah I know it would be better to just buy a BAT or Barnard or similar best quality repeater and start from there, but I emailed all the best and they don't make one that will fit the short, fat case.

I have a 30mm Burris 1-4x Euro on the rifle now that is amazingly bright and super clear. I might keep it, I don't know. I had originally purchased this for her to hunt seal with. The only thing about the Euro scope I don't like is the reticle enlarges as you turn up the power, so at 4x the crosshairs are quite thick. I might send it back to Burris to have them install ultra-thin crosshairs. I really do like the brightness of the scope. This cartridge is so fast and flat, sighted 1" high at 100 yards it is 1" low at 240 yards. Is that crazy or what!?

This waiting 10 months for a build is getting on my nerves big-time though. If I only had $40k for a good Monarch lathe, I would build it myself.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Yup, I still can't believe no-one bid on it. A virtually new, entirely functional Jewell for the Model 70 Winnie for only $55.00 delivered. Sometimes eGay can be a friend. Normally these run about $239.00.

Now I need to sneak in the Hart barrel and I'll be ready for when the 'smith calls. I am turning my wife's very rare .223 WSSM Ultimate Shadow into a benchrest quality shooter. I have the brass already prepped, have tried a few bullets but nothing works well, so the new barrel will have a tighter than SAAMI spec chamber, tight neck (I'll have to turn the necks to fit), and essentially no freebore; bullets will just touch the rifling. I think 23 inches starting at 1.200" and taper to 0.900" at the muzzle. The action will be completely rebuilt: single point action & bolt, double sleeve the bolt body, bush the firing pin hole & turn pin, open action thread to 1.062 x 16 tpi, and lastly face the bolt, bolt lugs and receiver lugs. Phew!
    Yeah I know it would be better to just buy a BAT or Barnard or similar best quality repeater and start from there, but I emailed all the best and they don't make one that will fit the short, fat case.

I have a 30mm Burris 1-4x Euro on the rifle now that is amazingly bright and super clear. I might keep it, I don't know. I had originally purchased this for her to hunt seal with. The only thing about the Euro scope I don't like is the reticle enlarges as you turn up the power, so at 4x the crosshairs are quite thick. I might send it back to Burris to have them install ultra-thin crosshairs. I really do like the brightness of the scope. This cartridge is so fast and flat, sighted 1" high at 100 yards it is 1" low at 240 yards. Is that crazy or what!?

This waiting 10 months for a build is getting on my nerves big-time though. If I only had $40k for a good Monarch lathe, I would build it myself.
    I've thought about that fat little 223 several times. You would have thought that it would have garnered a much larger cult following. However it seems that the last of the control round push feed Winchesters hanging around on gunbroker and the like are of the two calibers that intrigue me the most...the 223 and 243 WSSMs.

A Jewel trigger for 50 bucks is a heck of a find. They are the cream of the crop and gets you off to a great start on your build. keep us informed as it progresses.

Right now I am leaning toward doing a 22-250 Ackley with a 40 degree shoulder but I haven"t ruled out the 223WSSM either....think I'll wander over to an auction site or two and have a gander!

I believe what has killed off the WSSM line was Rick Jamison's "patent" on the short and fat case, and the manufacturers and private 'smiths refusing to have to pay for the privilege of chambering "his" cartridges. Even though the short and fat case had existed before he came along. At least this is what I've read.

Right now it is an exercise of will not to call the 'smith and ask him where I am on his book. Aaarrggghh!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hey, great buy on the trigger man, that is great. Yes Rick Jamison's patent has probably led to some of the reason the WSSM line is not used more. Once again, great find on the trigger.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS