Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take down recurve.

Default Take down recurve.

Iam looking for a take down recurve to attemp a SE Goat hunt.
    Does anyone have an opinion about either the PSE Coyote or the Hoyt Gamemaster.

Default take downs

I have heard that both of those recurves are very noisy bows. I have read some good reviews also on the gamemaster, but there seemed to be about the same number of good and bad reviews. I haven't heard much of anything good about the coyote.

Default How much do you want to spend?

Recurves vary alot depending on how much you want to spend.

Custom bows with fancy laminations cost 800-1000 bucks where lower priced bows like Martin's cost in the 400-500 dollar range. Martins are a good buy. I do not have a takedown model but my Martin Mamba is hard to beat for the price.

take care.

Rick

Default take down

A buddy of mine had a black widow take down recurve. 67# @ 28 I think. I can see if he still has it if you're interested. I think he was asking around $700. Comes with case and probably some arrows I built for him. (unless he's lost them all)
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default try a trad bow forum

you will probably get more info if you pose your questions on tradgang.com or bowsite's leatherwall.
    that is a pretty decent deal on the widow, btw.
    martins are good, but you can get a darn nice bow for $4-500 bucks if you poke around a little.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Couple Friends Of Mine Have The Hoyts They Really Like Them The One Guy Has Killed 7-8 Animals In The Last Month With His In Hi.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

look at checkmate hunter I's or II's, best bang for the buck and put to shame any martin take down out there.

www.recurves.com

I used to have a Black Widow Recurve and a Martin Hatfield T/D Recurve, I liked the Martin better. They are both made extremely well tho.

Check out Wapiti TD's by J.K Chastain in Lakewood Colorado. Custom made bows at a good price. I've been shooting mine for over 10 years now. Quiet and true

Default No shame

Been shooting my Martin Hatfield for many a year now and it's funny Tradbow, I feel no shame at all, in fact my Martin bow has done about everything I've asked of it and is a joy to shoot. If you find a bow that is a fit for yourself and you can depend on it statements like the one in an earlier thread on this subject is very unwarranted, unless you are a sales person for checkmate...

Can't help with you original question because I haven't owned either bow.
    I too think the Hatfields are great bows, especially for the price. I've owned a BW MA III takedown hat I sold last year for $500. Nice bows, but if I was buying new I'd probably buy the Hatfield instead.
    If Widows interest you go to
    http://www.blackwidowbows.com/widowwall/threadsx.cfm
    And find the thread titled "For sale February" (the thread title changes monthly. They don't have a seperate classifides.) & look at lot's of used Widows at about what you'll pay for a new Hatfield.
    For just about any used trad bow you might want check out
    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...&f=5&submit=Go
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Takedown Recurve

Bob Lee makes a very reliable takedown that is smooth and user friendly. They are a joy to shoot. Add a bolt on Great Norther quiver, wrap wool yarn around the loops and first six inches of string and add string silencers. With a proper spined arrow around 8-10 grains per pound of draw, it should work exceptionally well.

GVA

Hatfield,

Actually I am a salesman of none! My first bow was a martin hunter. My good buddie still shoots the older hatfield.

I'm talking cost of a bow, for what you are getting. There are tons out there, literally tons! Pointing a new guy into a bow, heck just buying a bow is an ordeal in itself. Unlike a wheel bow, most places dont have much for stickbows to shoot.

Hatfields stack terribly. I've heard they possibly fixed that with the newer model hatfield. If so I'm sure it's a great shooting recurve. Most new folks to the stickbow side dont even know what stack is until they shoot that's smooth. Just like most switching to longbows don't know what handshock is until they've experienced both a smooth longbow and a bow that'll jar the ever liven life out of ya.

However the price of a hatfield and the price of a hunter I, or II, is significantly different. I just feel the hunter II is a much better 3 piece td recurve and you can't beat the price. I've owned and shot more bows then I care to admit and have more coming. If I was a recurve shooter, this would be one of my go to bows. I'm not however for the past 11 years I've been a strictly longbow shooter.

Call it being honest, a checkmate hunter I, or II, will put to shame (both price AND performance wise), any martin bow on the market!!!

Bob Lee makes a great recurve, this was my first custom 3 piece recurve before I made the switch to longsticks. As does most of the companys out there, they all make good stuff, to someone. Lets face it, even blackwidow does make a nice bow. But definatly not the best bang for the buck imho!

My point is, not to convey that any of the other bowyers are bad, make bad products (even if I dont like some personally), or being a sales pitch for anyone including checkmate. I will however give ya my honest opinion, take it or leave. Just hoped it helped some, and possibly saved ya some money and headaches in the process.

Default try before you buy

Sometimes if feasible it is wise to try before you buy.
    If you have access to any traditional clubs in your area make use of it. Now i know that sometimes this just aint possible, due to rural settings. I dont know where you live, but if you have a traditional shop in your area most owners really strive to put different sticks in your hand. I belong in a traditional club in Michigan, and i am always shooting other peoples sticks.some i like some i dont.Personal fit of course is the key. I have owned BW's,Martins, and a Bob Lee. I also shoot with wheels.All of which i like. I have been shooting with sticks in one form or another since 1978. Do you need to spend a thousand bucks on a BW? Nope.As a matter of fact i dont see that much of a difference between my high priced bow and my 400 dollar martin.If you want to be able to say you own a BW.Then hey, buy one, If you want to kill game accurately and consitantly then you cant go wrong with a martin.Personaly my martin bi centennial gets thrown into the truck the most. It will probably get on the plane with me this fall to the brooks range for caribou. I just love shooting this bow and i am real confident using it. I dont have a checkmate so i cant say anything about it, except judging from the pics i would say it looks just like my martin.. I always get nervous buying a custom bow. Call me silly, i just do. Bottom line, if you can try out different bows make your purchace according to the one that you shoot the best.
    Happy shooting.and perfect practice makes perfect.
    Bushwaker

Try before you buy is the wisest advice of all.
    I've had friends with very popular $1000 custom recurves that I couldn't shoot worth a hoot. I shoot my plain old vanilla HH Big Five or Pronghorn longbows better. I shoot my Widow recurve the best I've shot any recurve, bur still never had the consistence I get with the right longbow.
    I've played with friends Hatfields & never noticed any stack, but I have a 27.5" draw.
    As for handshock, I know what that is!! I owned a Martin M-14 longbow for a (SHORT) while!!!!!!!!
    Bottom line, what works for most folks may not work for YOU!
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks for all the advice. I live in Juneau, there is an archery shop (garage) here but he doesn't seem to check his answering machine.
    I started out shooting recurve as kid chasing Javelina, Mulies and Elk in AZ. I eventually settled with a Hoyt Proforce Extreme (compound) that I haven't shot since moving to Juneau 10yrs ago.
    Iam really just looking for a Cheap take down that can handle lots of rain and abuse, fiberglass and aluminum preferred.
    I'am sure that the bows mentioned are very nice, but I don't shoot enough to justify that kind of investment. I really think the Coyote is the one for me. If anyone knows of a Coyote or something similar that is in need of a new home send me an email.
    Thanks, Travis

What weight are you looking for?
    I know of a 45# with FF string for $175.00
    http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimate...c;f=5;t=015604

Couple more possibilities.
    http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimate...c;f=5;t=015955
    Vance in AK.

Jeesh Fireman, I wish you would have said something.

I have a buddy who used to build bows on the side, still does privately, lives in Juneau. Look up Steve Hohensee. Or Steve H on tradgang.com

Get on any of the ALaska thread there and you'll see a few guys (luke woodruff though I think I butched his last name and one other guy I can never remember his name) who lives in juneau. Be the guys to hook up with, they are serious about sticks and stickbow hunting!!!

I will say, those low end bows, some of them will stack like the dickens! Some will jar the ever liven life outta ya. Both those bows are durable thats for sure and cheap!!! If I were to get one, I'd get the pse after looking at them. It looks a little lighter and simpler design. The set back riser might be a tad more finickey to shoot though.

Another one.
    Little more money, but nice bow.
    http://www.outdoorcore.com/forums/in...showtopic=3066
    Vance in AK.

I have shot Fred Bear take-downs for years and am very happy with them. They are starting remanufacture them. The great thing about these bows is that they require no tools at all and are a very tough bow. I am also working on hunting goats in Southeast AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast