Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 3/4" halibut while deer hunting

Default 89 3/4" halibut while deer hunting

Wow, what a trip for those guys!

Holy Cow. The pic looks like they could have used a deer for bait.

great read!! thanks!...hunting black bear and deer AND halibut is on our main menu in the near future!!!....larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

A big girl like that should have been let go, but to each his own.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    She had to be getting close to the end of her breeding years/life. Glad she got put to good use, and I hope the Capt gets a few more bookings as a result of being in the right place at the right time. Trophy of a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    She had to be getting close to the end of her breeding years/life. Glad she got put to good use, and I hope the Capt gets a few more bookings as a result of being in the right place at the right time. Trophy of a lifetime.
    Maybe and maybe not. She was probably at least a 35 year old fish. Maybe closer to 45, who knows. But what's done is done, and it's still a great catch.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Good guess is 30 years old. Was once told that they grow about 3 inches per year.

Great catch. I'm surprised at inaccuracies in the story, though. I remember hearing of a 400+ pounder caught off Deep Creek in the late 80's or early 90's by an older couple from a little skiff, and there's also this from Kodiak or Afognak, from just a couple years ago: http://www.kodiakcustom.com/

Attachment 42226

I don't think so mister! I wouldn't even consider it. If God wanted it released it would have got off or not bit in the 1st place. The Audacity of humans to think we're the end all for every species its mind blowing.....

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't think so mister! I wouldn't even consider it. If God wanted it released it would have got off or not bit in the 1st place. The Audacity of humans to think we're the end all for every species its mind blowing.....
    I doubt that fish tastes very good in the first place- most of it will probably end up getting freezer burn and be pitched (happens alot).
    Don't get your panties in a bunch. Seems you're confused enough as is by the 3X4 holes in the ice fishing forum.

My son was in that group. They had a great time. He's already planning next years trip out there........lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    My son was in that group. They had a great time. He's already planning next years trip out there........lol
    I'm betting that Halibut taste just fine, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    I'm betting that Halibut taste just fine, let us know.
    Will do Captain
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I doubt that fish tastes very good in the first place- most of it will probably end up getting freezer burn and be pitched (happens alot).
    Don't get your panties in a bunch. Seems you're confused enough as is by the 3X4 holes in the ice fishing forum.
    Yeah ok gotcha. My bad.

HEY WAIT! do I need to go to the ice fishing section and apologize too?

pike palace and fullbush, thank you! As I read this I was thinking to myself......oh great, here goes another thread in a side war. But you guys didn't do that, and I appreciate it. Doesn't matter who I agree with on this. +1 for both of you for your trigger control.

Any more I read too much aggressive typing which results in people getting their panties in a bind. Typing like you'd talk to someone face-to-face is becoming less frequent.

Tony Davis pulled a 420 pounder several years back. He's the manufacturer of Kodiak Custom Fishing Lures. If you visit his website and scroll around you can read the whole story of yet another legend from the deep...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Venison and halibut on the same trip. Only in Alaska.

If it were me, I'd throw the big one back. With an 80lber, a 35lber, and several blacktails, I would give thanks and call it a very successful day. But that's just me......

Why are the bigguns no good to eat? chalky?

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Venison and halibut on the same trip. Only in Alaska.

If it were me, I'd throw the big one back. With an 80lber, a 35lber, and several blacktails, I would give thanks and call it a very successful day. But that's just me......
    Here, here. I agree whole-heartedly. +1 for the sage comment that we all can learn from.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast