Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal harvest of caribou

Default Illegal harvest of caribou

Ok here is the question what do you all think will happen to an individual for shooting a caribou without the proper permit and transporting it back to there residents. The animal was taking during the tier 2 hunt. The individual (s) have been sited and have a court date in glennallen. I know the person he told me the story On how he shot it but had no tag for that hunt. I just shrugged it off and forgot about it until I heard they were cited now a bunch of us are real curious what will happen will they throw the book at him or go easy. I think he will get 2500 dollar fine and a loss of hunting privlages myself others say he is done and might as well forget about hunting and fishing for a long time.

All depends.
    Lots of Mitigating Factors to be considered.
    Race?
    Primary Place of Residency?
    First time or Customary and Traditional Practice?
    He could be crucified or idolized and heralded by his elders.
    More info is needed to forecast his destiny.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

They could lose their license and 500 bucks,
    They could lose their rifles and their trucks.
    They will have to give up the meat and the hide,
    They may even take that wheeler they ride.
    They could take their trailer or their sled
    They'll certainly take that rack from it's head.
    Until the legal lottery they play
    They will not know the cost they'll pay

Oh he is white, in the service, lives in the valley. Oh and it isn't me.

They did take the meat and from what I was told took his truck and rifle. I don't talk to him any more he did alot of accusing on who turned him in and I was thrown in there I have other things to do and being a turn coat for fish and game is not one of them.

They should throw the book at him. If he intentionally shot an animal he knew he did not have a tag for, there is no excuse for that. It is not like he shot an animal that was just under legal requirements or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh he is white, in the service, lives in the valley. Oh and it isn't me.
    He is Stewed. If I were him, I would go AWOL, denounce my Citizenship and move the bush.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I would expect that he would end up with a harder hit than what you see with people who have been turning themselves in. Based on the information you gave, I get the impression that it was not an accidental mistake, but rather one he knew was wrong and is now mad that someone called him on it. Hard to say what the ultimate result will be, especially with the variety of results we have seen with similar issues in the past. It would really depend on how things play out in court.

He might not think it is a noticeable thing, but he has to realize that some other people/families didn't get a chance to hunt for permits they did have because the hunt was shut down early due to the harvest goals being met early (including your friend's caribou likely). He put his fun/freezer ahead of those who went through the legal process of properly obtaining a permit and followed the rules and will now end up paying the price. Hopefully he, and others, will learn from it.

Not sure what will happen, but have no problem with if he gets the book thrown at him. He deserves the harshest penalty possible since he obviously "chose" to do this act knowing that he was in the wrong.

Finally another poacher get NAILED. Forget the book throw the whole library at him. Jerks like this make hunting for us that much harder with new rules and regulations. Now I just hope more get nailed.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

This is an easy one...under the circumstances outlined.....toast him still the smell is sickening...dennis

The term for what the individual did is called "poaching" and he will likely get the book thrown at him without some mitigating factor the judge considers.

An honest mistake in the field followed by turning oneself in is usually a small penalty.

Purposeful poaching followed by intended concealment of the fact is usually not.

But sometimes the court throws a ringer in the mix.

Interesting post

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Ok here is the question what do you all think will happen to an individual for shooting a caribou without the proper permit and transporting it back to there residents. The animal was taking during the tier 2 hunt. The individual (s) have been sited and have a court date in glennallen. I know the person he told me the story On how he shot it but had no tag for that hunt. I just shrugged it off and forgot about it until I heard they were cited now a bunch of us are real curious what will happen will they throw the book at him or go easy. I think he will get 2500 dollar fine and a loss of hunting privlages myself others say he is done and might as well forget about hunting and fishing for a long time.
    tell the whole story john... one guy shot it... another guy tagged it... 3 guys split it and got caught...

not to hard to go back through last months trooper reports
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree what's bad he has accused me turning him in wth. Anyhow if his day in court goes bad I have a feeling he will be looking me up. To blame for his troubles I wish the fella who did turn his sorry @$$ in would tell him. But if he comes to my place looking for trouble he better watch out. Something state needs to take into considerationon the annonymous turn in a poacher program, guys like me get accused by the individuals for turning them in. Again thus guy is a turd anyhow and I hope he reads this thread!!!

Yes Vince he shot it another guy tagged it. How he told me the story when I ran into him in the gym on ft rich they humped it in on foot 3 miles saw caribou his buddy shot at one and missed he then told him to shoot they were not going home empty handed so he shot it. His buddy tagged it and they went home as the trooper report states it was split three ways. But a bunch of us in the Army are curious on what will happen to him and his buddies. My last words to him were to keep his mouth shut and not tell anyone else but he did not listen and ran around telling anyone who would listen.

"stupid is as stupid does"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

John, I'm not sure just where you intended this thread to go. But it's turning a bit ugly imo.

Wildlife Troopers do read this forum, btw.

Yes Vince he shot it another guy tagged it. How he told me the story when I ran into him in the gym on ft rich they humped it in on foot 3 miles saw caribou his buddy shot at one and missed he then told him to shoot they were not going home empty handed so he shot it. His buddy tagged it and they went home as the trooper report states it was split three ways. But a bunch of us in the Army are curious on what will happen to him and his buddies. My last words to him were to keep his mouth shut and not tell anyone else but he did not listen and ran around telling anyone who would listen.
    Sticking my neck out here but as far as I'm concerned you're just as guilty by

1. Not turning him into the proper authorities.
    2. Telling him to keep his mouth shut.

You're worried about him coming to your place and looking for trouble but yet you HOPE he reads this post on an open, public forum? Doesn't sound like someone that would like to avoid conflict....

Somehow I think there is probably more to this story. Besides, why are YOU so worried?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Very good points HUNTRESS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast