Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: Build me a boat

  1. #1

    Default Build me a boat

    I need a river boat that will be able to get me to my cabin with a payload of at least 2000#, it has to be able to go in 6" of water, travel 30 mph up the yentna loaded, be able to remove bad water weeds without hours of work, get good fuel burn (4 stroke ?). The boat i use now is a 17 60 lowe with a 90/65. 150 mile round trip i haul 1200# at 18mph up river and use about 50 gallons of gas and a gallon of oil round trip. Spring and fall have to deal with skinny water with logs so a prop is not a option. With all the knowledge here i would like advice.

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    2000lbs of what?

  3. #3

    Default

    Well fuel oil,food, beer.... Will be living there and going in and out at least 2 times a month. The cub is great but break up and freeze up you are limited.

  4. #4

    Default

    It would be:
    An Airboat
    Fully Enclosed 18' Laminate Fiberglass/Plastic/Foam Hull w/a full UHMW Bottom
    Lycoming 0540 with a Constant Speed/Variable Pitch Prop
    Fuel Rate would be 10 gallons per hour, loaded
    Cruise Speed would be 35 MPH
    Draft would be 4"
    Easily constructed with simple 1940's vintage technology and todays materials. If you start now, you can get it wet in May.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    Airboat would be a option, will it haul the weight? I like the idea when the river starts flowing ice the airboat will still be able to go.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Yeah they will haul the weight. Check out those big counter rotating props driven by a 8.1L Chevy. But it comes at a price. Not much cheaper than a decent Cub.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Airboat would be a option, will it haul the weight? I like the idea when the river starts flowing ice the airboat will still be able to go.
    Yes, 2k lbs is about max though.
    To a reasonable degee. Ice is problematic, when the rivers get choked. But slush and pan ice is workable.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    Yeah they will haul the weight. Check out those big counter rotating props driven by a 8.1L Chevy. But it comes at a price. Not much cheaper than a decent Cub.
    NEVER NEVER NEVER use anything Automotive on an airboat.
    NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a boat.
    Build everything from the ground up, yourself and put the $ in your back pocket.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    NEVER NEVER NEVER use anything Automotive on an airboat.
    NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a boat.
    Build everything from the ground up, yourself and put the $ in your back pocket.
    sure, 8.1 marine chevy. A used boat is always a great savings. I think something that's open in the bow will definitely make life easier on you loading/unloading, especially carrying large items like drums, or heavy totes, atvs. Even a bigger version of what you already have like a 20-24 foot flattish bottom style would be the most practical. You can haul a lot of weight with a 200 sport jet that weighs less than many 90/65 jet outboards. My opinion, you don't need a heavily built boat for that run.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    I need a river boat that will be able to get me to my cabin with a payload of at least 2000#, it has to be able to go in 6" of water, travel 30 mph up the yentna loaded, be able to remove bad water weeds without hours of work, get good fuel burn (4 stroke ?). The boat i use now is a 17 60 lowe with a 90/65. 150 mile round trip i haul 1200# at 18mph up river and use about 50 gallons of gas and a gallon of oil round trip. Spring and fall have to deal with skinny water with logs so a prop is not a option. With all the knowledge here i would like advice.
    Tried sending a pm but your box is full.

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    You could go with a diesel phantom if you have an extra $72K sitting around. But a inboard or outboard Wooldridge AK would serve you fine. The jet sled type with the rear cockpit would probably suit your uses best since you can nose up to the bank to load/unload easier in most places. I have seen pictures of a wooldridge with a landing craft style drop nose that would make loading extremely easy with a hand truck in many applications. It would also make loading a wheeler almost too easy! One of the sea ark boats would be an option too possibly for less money.

  12. #12

    Default

    I think that a inboard jet would be a good option as long as there was a good way to deal with the weeds. What i have heard stomp grates dont always work on weeds. A outboard like i have is easy to clean weeds but worry about the foot and logs in skinny water. Airboat sounds like a good option little on the loud side but could be used earlier and later than a jet. im not in a hurry as i am getting by with the cub and lowe. Exploring the options.

  13. #13
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    The Wooldridge jet sled with the outboard has a tunnel to help protect your foot. Phantom is supposed to have some sort of weed resistant doo hickey on their inboard intake that I have only heard rumors about and never actually seen. Come to think about it I don't think I have ever talked to anyone that has used one either.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You could go with a diesel phantom if you have an extra $72K sitting around. But a inboard or outboard Wooldridge AK would serve you fine. The jet sled type with the rear cockpit would probably suit your uses best since you can nose up to the bank to load/unload easier in most places. I have seen pictures of a wooldridge with a landing craft style drop nose that would make loading extremely easy with a hand truck in many applications. It would also make loading a wheeler almost too easy! One of the sea ark boats would be an option too possibly for less money.
    Come now Lujon, your bias is showing again.

    I've told you before that was MSRP, not the sale price in AK. Let me tell you why. Dealers buy engines from wholesalers/distributors mark them up and pass that on the the boat dealer who then marks them up. By the time you pay buy your boat your paying probably 50% more for the what the distributor sold the engine for. Everybody has to make a profit. As the distributor for the FNM diesels and now the dealer for Phantom and North River boats using our diesel we can sell the boat with much less mark up and still have enough to make some profit. In the end the consumer saves. If you go direct to the manufacture and pay his MSRP you can do that. Doesn't matter to us as the distributor they still get the engine at distributor cost and we still make a profit. For once in Alaska, you don't have to travel to the lower 48 to get a better price. The phantom 60/40 as pictured with full hardcore bottom, 40,000 btu heater, jump seats, sand trap, canvas top, weed grate, and standard stomp grate, kicker motor bracket, rear railing w/ rod holders, removable seats and windshields for carrying extra long cargo, nearly 6'x6' flat open front deck for easily carrying a 4 wheeler, wipers, dual batteries, tilt steering wheel, wash down system, FNM HPE 190hp diesel, American Turbine 203 8" axial flow pump IMHO the toughest pump out there" with "accessible" clean out, full interior Scorpion bedliner non-skid interior on a aluminum plating floor. Not vinyl coated marine plywood. Sale price is $63K the same boat with the SAME options with a SPJ delivered here to AK would be ~$55K MSRP. I guess you could deduct $1000 since a heater option with a SPJ really isn't worth the money since they don't put out any heat. Other options also include a 250hp diesel and Hamilton 212 upgrades.

    The phantom can be ordered with any combination engine or jet packages on a tunnel or without and phantom is the only company offering a weed grate. Yes it works and I have one available for the diesel. I'm sure other's will follow along as they have with using the SPJ. Hopefully they've patented the grate so other can't steal the design. .125, .160, or .190 thicknesss bottoms are available with 72" or 76" width. I'm sure we could even go 1/4" if a guy really wanted.

    Best of luck on your search pa18tony. Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You could go with a diesel phantom if you have an extra $72K (MSRP) sitting around. But a inboard or outboard Wooldridge AK would serve you fine. The jet sled type with the rear cockpit would probably suit your uses best since you can nose up to the bank to load/unload easier in most places. I have seen pictures of a wooldridge with a landing craft style drop nose that would make loading extremely easy with a hand truck in many applications. It would also make loading a wheeler almost too easy! One of the sea ark boats would be an option too possibly for less money.
    ^^^^^^^^Bias eliminated^^^^^^

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The Wooldridge jet sled with the outboard has a tunnel to help protect your foot. Phantom is supposed to have some sort of weed resistant doo hickey on their inboard intake that I have only heard rumors about and never actually seen. Come to think about it I don't think I have ever talked to anyone that has used one either.
    The doo hickey really worky! Unfortunately the design of Wooly wouldn't accommodate the doo hickey and won't worky.

  17. #17

    Default

    Airboats like weeds. Reduces the draft to zero.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    [QUOTE=Halibutgrove;841129] I guess you could deduct $1000 since a heater option with a SPJ really isn't worth the money since they don't put out any heat. Other options also include a 250hp diesel and Hamilton 212 upgrades. QUOTE]

    My buddy has a Phantom Sport Jon with a heater, and it works awesome. He has that boat for a few years now, and it works just as good as any other heater that I've seen in a river boat. It pumps out plenty of heat. Where did you get your information that the heaters don't work?

  19. #19
    Member OzAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Ditto on the heat output in my Sportjon. I can keep the family warm on the coldest, nastiest days on the river to the point that we are removing coats inside the canvas. The diesel, if I had to take a guess, makes heat at any RPM once it's warmed up, where the Sportjet has to be pulling some power, heat starting in at about 3000 revs or so. As for the load hauling needs, there are a fair number of choices to be had especially in the SJ class. Again, it's a power-to-weight and hull design issue. One option I would look at is the Alweld boats. AK River Rat has a 24' Alweld he runs both prop and jet on a 150 Yamaha and it is a load hauling beast.

  20. #20

    Default

    [QUOTE=Hoyt;841284]
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I guess you could deduct $1000 since a heater option with a SPJ really isn't worth the money since they don't put out any heat. Other options also include a 250hp diesel and Hamilton 212 upgrades. QUOTE]

    My buddy has a Phantom Sport Jon with a heater, and it works awesome. He has that boat for a few years now, and it works just as good as any other heater that I've seen in a river boat. It pumps out plenty of heat. Where did you get your information that the heaters don't work?
    Just what I've been told. I'll stand corrected if they do work well. I heard they had a tendency to plug up as well since they run raw water through the system. If a guy add a good sand trap I suppose you could prevent this. Made since to me that they wouldn't put out much heat since they're using raw water cooling. I wouldn't think the water would get that hot to produce much heat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •