Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Road System Bears

Thumbs up Kodiak Road System Bears

Hello all,
    I've been in Kodiak for a year and a half now, with one (fall) bear hunt under my belt. Not much luck last season, but I did see alot of sign, and one bear in a no hunting area on the C.G. base. I know none or very few of you will give up a good hunting spot, but any info will help out.
    I've been told that for the spring hunt (mostly the last 2weeks) the best thing to do is find a high spot and glass the surrounding area (mostly above the snow line). Is that accurate?
    So far I've stayed on or very close to the base, is this a good thing or should I head to Chiniak or someplace else?
    When should I start looking for the bears? I've done a little hiking over the last week or so...still alot of snow out there! Snow shoes are a must!

Well thank you in advance, as I said any information you have will be appreciated! I look forward to conversing with you all.

Thanks

most bears i've seen has been in the pasagshak area, very very few in ohter places, the road system is regulated to be sparse with bears. sharatin mountian has some in the spring, try heading up red cloud creek to the Y in the back with elbow creek and stay there for a few days, north side of devils prongs has some denning back in there. get outa the timber and look up in april start watchign for tracks, may they'll be coming down and harder to find. seen a few outa lake miam a few years back, three in a week. all small. one nice one on the west side of pasagshak on the ridges that run north south along the bay.
    good luck, but don't hold your breath, few and far between on bears there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Smile

I guess it might be all relative to where you spend most of your time then. I saw at least 4 different bear at and around where I was hunting last fall(about 2weeks before the season)...but only one after the season started. Though I did make a trip to Sheratin bay looking for deer around late Aug. early Sept. and ran into 5 different bears that day all within a half mile square (but the salmon where running then too). Thanks for you input, I think I'll try the elbow creek area! How's that hike? Is there a trail? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Gshepherd; 02-16-2007 at 19:53.

too bad you can't hunt the landfill
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Anyone else got any tips, hints, or advise? All will be appreciated!

Default couple more ideas

Here's a couple more places you might check out. First if you have access to a boat, go out to Antone Larsen Bay and head across the bay from the boat ramp and towards the mouth of the bay and find a spot to go up. From the north east side of the bay over to Ouzinkie Narrows is a part of the road system that doesn't get too much pressure as there are no good 4 wheeler trails that I know of. I used to hunt deer there a bit when I lived there and always saw tons of bear sign and bumped bears once in a while. Another way to access that area is to go out to the end of Monashka Bay road and climb Monashka Mountain and follow the ridge back in a few miles and glass the side hills and valleys.

Another place there are a few bears is up Salonie Creek where the gun range is. Heitman Mt. right above Salonie Cr. also has a few bears.

Elbow Cr. where BRWNBR mentioned is a likely spot as is the whole penninsula between Antone Larson Bay and Sharatine Bay.

Mind you, all this is from a guy who spent his hunting career on Kodiak avoiding bears, not trying to find them. But I covered a lot of country there.

Default Thanks

Thanks Twodux! Very helpful! You ever get out and see much sign in the Chiniak area? I keep hearing from a friend that their is "tons" of sign out there...but he goes out to ride his ATV there all the time. I'm thinking that like you said, if there's ATV's the bears are skitish or none existant. Thanks again.

Default Draw?

I thought all of Kodiak was a drawing area, is there an open season too?
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

road system is registration hunt, but they never close it.
    Master guide 212

A guy I work with was with a friend on Kodiak when they shot one of (if not the) biggest bears ever taken off the road system. It had a head that was just under 30" and it was a late season hunt. The pics of this bear were simply amazing, lots of snow on the ground.

they bump big bears off the road system just like everywhere else, just not quiet as often. i've seen a few tracks of ten footers and seen two well over nine. one outa season and one way to far out.
    Master guide 212

One thing to factor in this spring: There's been a fair bit of snow and some degree of winter kill in the deer as a result. Spec out the wintering areas used by deer, then give those an extra look for spring bear. You'll see lots of deer hair in their droppings come spring.

Default more road system

There are usually some bears along the Buskin River and back behind the golf course, but that area is all govt. property and hunting isn't allowed. Once in a while some yayhoo fishing will get nervous and pop a shot at a bear along the river. When I was there somebody popped a bear with a pistol so then there was a wounded bear running around the area. Don't remember what happenned to the bear. But if you can figure out where the property lines are behind the golf course towards the Devil's Prongs or Pyramid Mt. and spent some time along the edges you might get a nice one. I seem to remember somebody getting a real big one in that area back in the 80's or 90's. I never did much hunting out at Chiniak but what I remember is it's pretty brushy and quite a bit of timber. Then the natives logged a bunch of their property out there. It's probably grown into quite a brush hole now. Be aware of whose property you're hunting on and make sure you have permission to hunt there.

BrownBear is right that if you can find an area of heavy deer die off, you can bet it will attract bears in the spring.

If you get a bear, let us know!

all the north road system is ouzinkie native corp and currently no one has permission to hunt on it...i asked last week. no guides or anything, they weren't real happy about everyone whos been hunting it without permission. not that they enforce it at all...
    you'll need a late spring deer die off for the bears to really be interested, fox and eagles will take care of deer that have currently died and won't leave anything for bears, it needs to be a pretty fresh kill for them to be on it during hunting season.
    Master guide 212

Default Base

I don't have to worry much about the Base property, I've got that one covered. I just have to stay out of the Antenna fields like everyone else. So you guys have really opened up alot of different area's for me. I'm not sure where to go now. Though, Will there be bear in there low on the Buskin...I need to focus most of my attention up high right? I'm also trying to decied which rifle to take along...the .300winmag or the 45-70gvt...maybe both? I'm thinking the .300 because in spring time I may get that longer shot. What do you thinK? As always I'll have the .45colt (+P) along on the hip for added rounds. Thanks again guys.

Jay

Default whoa

I just did a little checking about land use and realize I gave you some bad info as far as areas free to bear hunt on. I should have listened to my own advise and checked more carefully. Most of the land between Antone Larson Bay and Ouzinkie narrows is native land although there is a chunk of state land in there and the area around Monashka bay is municiple land and maybe some state land.

I did find a good set of maps showing land ownership on the road system tho, so you can look it up yourself. Here's the link.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/plann...k/indexmap.htm

There are a series of mini links to separate small sections. It has Kodiak, Afognak, Shuyak, and pretty much the whole Achipeligo. Sorry if I led you astray, but back when I lived there, the natives were a little more permissive about hunting.

Default Land usage

My memory may be failing me, but a friend and I look this up last year. According to Alaska statute as long as the land isn't posted "no hunting", "private" or fenced in it's fair game. I will double check on that and get back to you, but I'm about 80% sure that's the way it reads.

Thanks for the link though Twodux! You've been very helpful!

I don't think you're right on that one, Gshepherd. There is a warning written in the regs that states that it's the hunter's responsibility to know the status of the land they're hunting on. (I don't have the exact wording in front of me.) Private property laws don't go out the window in the absence of a sign.

-Brian

Smile Great link TwoDux

Thanks for the link! Since I moved to the North side of town, I've thought about exploring the Monashka area and beyond for hunting. My Dad used to hunt out there back in the 60's, but I knew there was a lot of native land out there that I have to consider. Now I can see where.

Default Wording

Ok so maybe I didn't word that correctly. When in a situation where a property line is in question out in the field and nothing is posted, you can't be held at fault. I'll look up the statute at work tonight and post the exact wording for you...(though I could still be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    I don't think you're right on that one, Gshepherd. There is a warning written in the regs that states that it's the hunter's responsibility to know the status of the land they're hunting on. (I don't have the exact wording in front of me.) Private property laws don't go out the window in the absence of a sign.

-Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast