Thread: Refinishing Fiberglass Recurve

Default Refinishing Fiberglass Recurve

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to touch bases with all the bowyers out there... I was given an old Browning Wasp 55#, and It shoots extremely well and shows no sign of age with performance. Anyhow, I really wanted to restore this old champion, and I was wondering how i should go about doing so. In my mind, i was going along the lines of lightly sanding the surface, cleaning the surface, then using a dull polyurethane paint from wal-mart/freddy's to do the trick. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Gary

OK but if its not showing "any sign of age" why refinish it? Here is the thing you will effect its preformance, might be slight even undetectable but change it will. Second if you ever want to sell that bow you can expect half what a bow in origonal finish will fetch, maybe less. Just clean it up really well and enjoy it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary808 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to touch bases with all the bowyers out there... I was given an old Browning Wasp 55#, and It shoots extremely well and shows no sign of age with performance. Anyhow, I really wanted to restore this old champion, and I was wondering how i should go about doing so. In my mind, i was going along the lines of lightly sanding the surface, cleaning the surface, then using a dull polyurethane paint from wal-mart/freddy's to do the trick. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Gary
    I've wiped several fiberglass faced and backed bows with mineral spirits, and then used a good furniture paste wax. Still great after 59-years. And no, that's not a typo . . . . .

I meant to say that it shoots like a new bow, but it looks really old, scratched up, and faded.

Gary your bow is not very valuable and of little colecters value, what I said still applies but you could do either your origonal idea or as Grizz1 suggested. I'd rather see you go Grizz1's route still preserves the origonal finish. I will caution you that old bows are addicting and you may come to seriously regret altering your banged up old bow. I call those scratches and fadding beauty marks.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

ah, i see you are right rick, I will go with grizzly's route