Thread: Remington 597 Yellow Jacket

Default Remington 597 Yellow Jacket

I picked one of these up for a great price and then did some reading on them. There seem to be a couple diferent opinion that are night and day appart.

The ones that like them really like them and swear by them then the next guy hates his.

Do any of you own one and if so what are your thoughts?

Got a link......? I am guessing it is a rim fire, self-loader.

Well EKC, I am one of those guys who doesn't like his. I bought mine awhile back chambered in 17HMR, when that cartridge was the newest and greatest. It was/is an accurate rifle. However, it lives in my gun safe for several reasons. Despite the buzz, I don't like the 17HMR for small edible game, prefering my 22LR (the 17HMR is just too destructive for ptarmies and spruce hens). Also, to me the 597 feels about as cheap as cheap gets....I don't like the action design with the stacked springs, also as a lefty the cross safety location gets in my way when working the trigger, and I don't like the magazine design. It's just a matter of preference...my Ruger 10/22 and MkIII get the rimfire nod from me each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well EKC, I am one of those guys who doesn't like his. I bought mine awhile back chambered in 17HMR, when that cartridge was the newest and greatest. It was/is an accurate rifle. However, it lives in my gun safe for several reasons. Despite the buzz, I don't like the 17HMR for small edible game, prefering my 22LR (the 17HMR is just too destructive for ptarmies and spruce hens). Also, to me the 597 feels about as cheap as cheap gets....I don't like the action design with the stacked springs, also as a lefty the cross safety location gets in my way when working the trigger, and I don't like the magazine design. It's just a matter of preference...my Ruger 10/22 and MkIII get the rimfire nod from me each and every time.
    Thats depressing! I am going to do some USBR shoots next summer and wanted to play around some this winter. I also have a pristine 10/22 deluxe made back in the 70's. I kind of wanted to leave it original but it would be cool with a Green Mountain barrel. I would have to inlet the barrel channel and glass it but thats very doable.

I guess that if I don't like the 597 when it gets here then I'll just give it to one the kids that has been showing up at the shoots. There is one kid that tries to compete with an Ithaca single shot lever gun because thats all he has. This 597 Yellow Jacket would have to help him.

We'll see!

Your vintage 10/22 sounds sweet!! I'd leave that rifle just as it is.

Yup, you can buy a new one for just over $200, leave that vintage gun alone! Or i'll buy a new one and we can trade! Sorry i'm a sucker for old guns...

I have a 597 and i love it! Very accuratte and very dependable.

I have a gaggle of 597's and I love them as well. I sell suppressors and I use the 597's as demo guns. I used 10/22's and still do but the trash that the suppressors leave in the action seem to lock up the 10/22's twice as fast as the 597's as long as you use the newest generation of mags. I have a stainless 597 in a laminated stock that will shoot Aguila sub sonics as well as my CZ 452's...about 5/8" groups at 50 yds.

I have a 597 in .17 HMR and it is the only gun I have ever gotten 3 crows out of a field without them flying away. Great gun...yes it tears up small game, but is so accurate that I can do head shots of squirrels and rabbits with no meat damage at all.

I think you will like the 597.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a gaggle of 597's and I love them as well. I sell suppressors and I use the 597's as demo guns. I used 10/22's and still do but the trash that the suppressors leave in the action seem to lock up the 10/22's twice as fast as the 597's as long as you use the newest generation of mags. I have a stainless 597 in a laminated stock that will shoot Aguila sub sonics as well as my CZ 452's...about 5/8" groups at 50 yds.

I have a 597 in .17 HMR and it is the only gun I have ever gotten 3 crows out of a field without them flying away. Great gun...yes it tears up small game, but is so accurate that I can do head shots of squirrels and rabbits with no meat damage at all.

I think you will like the 597.
    You just made my day....I'm gonna give it a serious chance now. I have some of those Aguila or is it Aquila? Have to look!

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I also have a pristine 10/22 deluxe made back in the 70's. I kind of wanted to leave it original but it would be cool with a Green Mountain barrel. I would have to inlet the barrel channel and glass it but thats very doable.
    I've got one too- mine is the "finger groove" version, and still performs flawlessly.

Before hacking on the barrel channel, I'd look into a cheap replacement stock. I got a Hogue and it was drop-in with the new barrel. But the more I got to playing, the more I realized I needed to do more.

I reassembled the original and picked up a good deal on another. That and the heavy barrel went into the Hogue stock, then I installed a strigger kit. Then I installed a trigger stop (drilled the back of the trigger guard and use a small bolt and lock nuts). Now we're getting down to tack driving country.

Ultimately my nephew fell in love with it and to his parents' dismay I gave it to him. But he sustained his interest in shooting and 5 years later is still shooting bullets rather than drugs and alcohol. These days his folks are asking me what kind of guns to get him for birthdays and Christmas!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hi Doc:

Were you aware of this?

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...ll-notice.aspx
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Lawyers were paid large sums of money to recommend this action. There was an out of battery incident that caused this. Keep the gun clean and there is no problem....your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Hey Smitty,

No, I was not aware...thanks for the link, sir. Guess it was lucky for me that I didn't like my 597, which made it a safe queen for the past five or so years.

Doc

Boy! This thing has kinda gone full circle.

What prompted all of this to start with was a little stint shooting some USBR competition this summer. I only did it twice but both times I had the high score by a pretty good margin. It was the 25 shot deal at 25 different little targets at 50 meters with the ten ring being a mere 1/10th of an inch. My first time was the first weekend of USBR shoots nationwide. I got an email after that shoot saying that I had shot the second highest score in the nation for week one. The next time was a couple months later and I bested my first score by 15 points with a 239 with 6x's. I have no idea how that ranked but know that some of the big dogs at other locations with sponsors names on their trucks and clothes were shooting in the 240's at the end of the year.

The gun I used for those two shoots was a straight out of the box Ruger 10/22 SS Target/hammer fordged spiral barrel with the laminated stock. It was a gun that was loaned to me by Midwest Firearms just for those two shoots and then I took it back. All I did to that gun was put a stone to both sides of the mechanics in the trigger/sear engagement and since it wasn't my gun I was real conservative with the stoning. I would have bought that gun rather than taking it back but I had a $1000 dollar wedding cake and other junk with higher priority standing in the way at the time. It sold a week later.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by Midwest Firearms to get some stuff and there was another one of those Target 10/22s on the shelf. turns out it was not another one but rather the same one. I'm going to pick it up this morning.

So where does this leave me....with a 597 sitting in the corner, a dandy little unaltered 70's vintage 10/22 deluxe sitting in another corner, the gun that will accomplish everything I need waiting for me at the gun shop and a brand new Zimmerman 10/22 target barrel on it's way from Arizona that was to go on the 10/22 deluxe before you guys confirmed what I already knew should happen with that old gun and that is leave as is. Now I have to go buy clunker 10/22 to put that fancy barrel on and I'm sure it's gonna have to have a stock too. The old snowball effect again boys and mothers shaken her pretty little head again too.

Don'tcha love it!

Great story EKC and nice shooting by a nonprofessional, unsponsored regular guy with a factory rifle, and yup I do love it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Now I have to go buy clunker 10/22 to put that fancy barrel on and I'm sure it's gonna have to have a stock too. The old snowball effect again boys and mothers shaken her pretty little head again too.
    We each have to do our part for the economy!

I don't know if there's an off-the-shelf equivalent, but that trigger stop I described was huge for me in "tuning" the 10/22. You might really like it for BR shooting. A local "gun crank" did it with a hand drill, but his hands are steadier than mine I'm sure. There's not a lot of metal in the back of the guard, but working by hand he managed to tap a few threads into the hole too aid in adjustment. Total cost was about 20 cents in hardware and two cups of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We each have to do our part for the economy!

I don't know if there's an off-the-shelf equivalent, but that trigger stop I described was huge for me in "tuning" the 10/22. You might really like it for BR shooting. A local "gun crank" did it with a hand drill, but his hands are steadier than mine I'm sure. There's not a lot of metal in the back of the guard, but working by hand he managed to tap a few threads into the hole too aid in adjustment. Total cost was about 20 cents in hardware and two cups of coffee.
    I know for $65 dollars(Ha, I ain't got $65 dollars left right now..not for this anyway) a feller can send the trigger group to Clark Custom and they will send it back all done up at a pound and a half. I don't know if that includes any provisions for overtravel or not. I'm looking into it....for when next months play money arrives