Thread: Fresh Whiskey and a band-aid.

Default Fresh Whiskey and a band-aid.

It is that time of year, install a fresh bottle of whiskey, and one band-aid in your survival kit. Interesting that of all the subjects on this forum, the subject that no one cares about is survival skills and quality survival kits. Sad, very, very SAD.

I carry the same survival kit while riding as what I do for all my hunting, boating, and other outdoor adventures in this great state. All the same basic things stay in my backpack year 'round: space blanket, matches, parachute cord, mule tape, bic lighter, folding saw, TP, paper towels, headlamp, gps, spare batteries, small hunting knife, granola bars, bottle of water, extra gloves, extra beanie, can of sterno, road flare, extra large tarp type space blanket, and a small first aid kit. I think that's about it....
    Last edited by MToutdoorsman; 11-24-2010 at 19:43. Reason: forgot about the water....
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I carry a survival kit on every single outing. I might modify the contents (such as add mosquito head nets for summer) but I always have my kit. I haven't really found a commercial kit that I think is complete- I bought a S.O.L. and then added to it and put it in a slightly larger bag that fits in the cargo pocket of my pants. I also carry a McMurdo FastFind with me. After last year's tragedy on Mt. Hood, I decided that I never wanted to be in a position where I wished I hadn't been too cheap to spend a couple hundred bucks on a personal locator beacon and died because of it.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Very good idea to bring up this discussion. When I spoke to the troopers search and rescue team about Dave missing, they had to figure out which of the missing snow machiners I was calling about. They said there were quite a few people missing and that it's just that time of the year that people get themselves into trouble.

Great survival kit list! I am taking that to the store this weekend and making up some survival packs. I know what my family are getting for Christmas this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    Great survival kit list! I am taking that to the store this weekend and making up some survival packs. I know what my family are getting for Christmas this year...

Spend some time at Wilderness Survival Forum, before making a list.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t%3B%26quot%3B
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...isplay.php?f=4

I will do that. Looks like great infomation...I will be making a few kits, so I want to make sure I get it as right as possible.

Does anyone do any snowmachine or cold weather survival refresher courses or anything in the area like Willow or Wasilla?

This is one site that I think is a great resource for building a survival kit. He's got a list plus pictures of his items.
    http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival%20Kit.htm
    Basically the only thing I disagree with him on is he replaces matches with a mini-bic. I agree with carrying a lighter, but I also carry matches and a firesteel and flares and...you get my drift. I try to have at least 4 ways to start a fire at any given time.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.