Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping snow mobile?

Default Trapping snow mobile?

What machine do you guys recommend for running traps? I don't have a particular brand in mind or size, just trying to figure out what works best and what doesn't work so well. Thanks

Mel

The old tundra II seems to have a major following as does the bravo for the smaller air cooled sleds. The AC bear cat and the new ski-doo tundras also have a good following but for more money. I would easily use my mid 90's AC cougar 550 2 up. Air or Fan cooled machines tend to get the nod if there is a chance you will be running a lot of ice or even crossing dry ground. A light sled is pretty important too as you will likely be alone and if you get stuck it will be just you there to get it out!

Are you looking to buy new or used?

Hi LuJon, sent you a pm. I would like to get a new machine but could settle for a used one that is reliable. Thanks

Mel

IF was to buy a new machine I would get a new Tundra. I have a 93 now that I love for trapping. I'm not going to be boondocking with it, but it is great for trapping and ice fishing. If you want new I don't think that you can go wrong with a tundra.

LuJon summed it up pretty well. A couple other models that might warrant checking into would be a Skidoo Skandic or Arctic Cat Bearcat. I know there are alot of parts of the state that the Skidoo Elan has a cult-like following too. They can be found for decent prices now and then, but they seem to sell incredibly fast if the price is right.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

New or used you want a tundra.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I think Tundras are great.....out on the tundra. If you have to go up hills they are about as gutless as they come. At least the old 250 was. We have had one since 91, and I have probably logged more miles on a tundra than any other snowmachine. The thing runs all the time (though most are pretty finicky in warm temps), sips gas, floats through snow, manuevers around trees with ease. But towing and going up hill is its weekness. And if you have bad knees it will beat them to death. Tundras steer by leening more than anything. and the best way is with one knee on the seat.

I got a used summit 500 for my trapping sled now. Good power, good on gas, still fairly light and manuevarble. It feels like a tundra on steroids.

If i was to get a new sled, that tundra with the 600 would be my choice. more power, better gas mileage than the 550 fan. After we find out if that new 600 ACE motor is worth a dang, I would get that.

Yamaha Bravo.

The perfect trappers' machine. It might be a one-lung 250, but it's idiot proof, drop-dead reliable, nearly unstickable, light weight where if you do get it stuck you can pretty much pick it up and unstick it with little effort and powerful enough to tow a sled.

Mechanically simple with no bells and whistles. Easy to troubleshoot and repair when needed. Pull start, fuel primer, easy on gas, has a very narrow stance that allows you to weave through trees and brush where other machines can't. Put a set of ski-skins on and there's not many places you can't go.

Yeah the ride may suck on a long stretch, but its other strengths outweigh the ride.
    Now what ?

Are you going to use this machine on Kodiak? Do other people there have snow machines?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have to agree with the Bravo, can't kill them things. I hate them as I am 6'4" but if you was to give me one machine out there that would take me home, that would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I have to agree with the Bravo, can't kill them things. I hate them as I am 6'4" but if you was to give me one machine out there that would take me home, that would be it.
    If you just want a trapping machine for winding through the woods and which requires almost no maintenance, you need look no farther than the Bravo. Simple, bullet proof, and extremely well made. Seals don't go out and carbs are easier to work on than Tundras. Now if you want to fly down the trails, hill climb, or carve in the powder, better look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I think Tundras are great.....out on the tundra. If you have to go up hills they are about as gutless as they come. At least the old 250 was. We have had one since 91, and I have probably logged more miles on a tundra than any other snowmachine. The thing runs all the time (though most are pretty finicky in warm temps), sips gas, floats through snow, manuevers around trees with ease. But towing and going up hill is its weekness. And if you have bad knees it will beat them to death. Tundras steer by leening more than anything. and the best way is with one knee on the seat.

I got a used summit 500 for my trapping sled now. Good power, good on gas, still fairly light and manuevarble. It feels like a tundra on steroids.

If i was to get a new sled, that tundra with the 600 would be my choice. more power, better gas mileage than the 550 fan. After we find out if that new 600 ACE motor is worth a dang, I would get that.
    When the Tundras bog during warmer temps, swap to a BR10ES plug.... that is what John at 90s and older told me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

That guy rocks! His driveway is pretty awful with a crew cab long bed and trailer but his skill on sleds is undeniable! Price can't be beat either!!

MT, I don't plan on using a sled too much on Kodiak as it is marginal from year to year to have enough snow to run in. My hope is to spend a month or so on the mainland next winter and try my hand at lynx, wolverine and marten. I want to try for some of the criters we don't have down here. I was looking on the web and the new Tundra exteme looks kind of inviting. Maybe by next fall there will be some reviews on it. Thanks for the information.

Mel

FWIW, if anyone is thinking about picking up a new Bravo, do it this year. I hear they are going to stop making them after this year...supposedly due to the emissions they put out....

who'da thunk? LOL, I feel like I've smoked a pack of marlb reds after a day on mine or when following someone else, LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    FWIW, if anyone is thinking about picking up a new Bravo, do it this year. I hear they are going to stop making them after this year...supposedly due to the emissions they put out....

who'da thunk? LOL, I feel like I've smoked a pack of marlb reds after a day on mine or when following someone else, LOL!!
    End of an era....
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Supporting Member

For anyone looking for a trapping sled, I have a buddy that has a line on an 09 skidoo tundra LT 800 four stroke long track. 700 miles and really clean asking 7000.00
    If there is any interest, drop me a PM and I'll give you his number in Wasilla.

I like the new 550 tundra. My nephews have been running the 600 skidoos and I have a buddy who has the 4 stroke the problem with those machines is if you don't get the protectors for the bars up front they tend to find beaver chews and stumps and get bent and broke. My buddy with the 4 stroke has had to rebuild his front end twice at least that I can think of. My nephew has done his once already this year and twice last year. The 550 tundra with the pogo suspension on the skies makes that problem dissapear. it is narrow for running in the trees and has plenty of power in the hills on steep cut banks or mountains if you have them
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I actually thought the Bravo was fun to play on, because when i did get it stuck I just got off and moved it over. Its also fairly easy to "throw" around and if you go down hill it will almost make your eyes bugg out! Seriously, really good machine for what it is.

Thanks for all of the responses. It sounds like either a tundra or bravo is the way to go and I would assume the tundra 2 strokes would be better than the 4 strokes due to weight concerns.

Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast