Thread: Kodiak Blacktail Success

Default Kodiak Blacktail Success

Just thought I would share my experience with Jeff at Kodiak Combos and pass on some reviews of the gear I used.

First off, Kodiak Combos was awesome. Jeff and Lianna are great people and made my hunting trip a trip of a lifetime. I figured I would lose a few pounds running around Kodiak shooting deer but I'm pretty sure that I actually gained a few pounds. We had pasta, steak, fried chicken, pork chops, and a fresh caught king for dinner on our 5 nights. The sides were amazing and the fresh home made deserts every night were out of this world.

My first day I learned a valuable lesson about hunting on Kodiak. Don't shoot a deer on top of the mountain at 4pm. The short story is we wanted to make sure our group got at least one deer on the first day. I shot a doe and paid a price getting it out. I have never been so physically exhausted in my life. It was a lesson learned the hard way and one I will never forget. The other guys shot a forkhorn and a doe on the first day.

On the second day, one of my partners decided he'd had enough. He was too cold, tired, and sore to keep going. He was trying to get the radio from me to call for an early pickup when a 3x3 walked 20yrds away downwind of his lit cigarette. Needless to say, he warmed up right quick and put that buck down. He was so excited, he emptied his .300 Weatherby into it and kept yelling for us to shoot that poor dead deer again. We spent the afternoon quartering and packing that guy the half mile to the beach; over FLAT ground.

On the third day, Mr. Too Cold had enough. He stayed in the lodge the rest of the hunt. After sitting the beach for the first two hours, we decided to head up hill a ways. 50 yards up the hill we jumped a "doe" and I told my partner, who was the only one not to shoot a deer yet, to have at it. He moved over a little rise and I hung tight with our gear. Moments later it sounded like an invasion of Old Harbor. At the first shot I noticed a nice buck up on a cliff watching us. Every shot, the deer would run closer. I figured that my buddy was shooting at this buck and missing. I waited for what seemed like forever about 50 shots and when the buck finally had enough he turned to walk away. I put a 168gr Berger Hunting VLD on top of 46grns of Varget right through the goods and the 4x4 took off right at me. I was feeling like a jerk because I thought I shot my buddies deer but it turned out he was shooting at the "doe" that turned out to be a little spike buck. We spent the rest of the day getting them out.

Last day was my partners lucky day. He spotted a monster about a mile away just off the beach. I'd like to say there was some strategy to our stalk but the reality is we just walked up to it and he shot it. I am fairly certain that his buck will make SCI book. If I were to guestimate, it would be around 90 inches. The other guys ended up shooting two 4x4's about a mile down the beach from us. All in all it was an awesome experience. We shot 4 4x4's, a 3x3, fork, spike, and two does.

The only equipment that really stands out is as follows:

My Eberlestock Dragonfly pack worked great for packing out gear and deer. It was a bit heavy empty but the fit works for me and makes it worth it. My Savage M16 stainless in .308 win was overkill on blacktail but it shot great and was a pleasure to handle. I was not happy with my Helly Hanson Impertech II rain gear. The waistband ripped right out while putting them on. My Danner Pronghorn boots are the best thing on earth, just wish I had brought a cleaning kit. The saltwater was not good on the leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Great hunt report!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    Proud to be an American!

Nice report Vike,

Great to hear of all the nice Bucks, that Combos guy is the real deal, eh?
    Sounds like some interesting Hunt Partners, too,...... always makes it fun? Entertaining?

Sure had good weather, this fall. Enjoy all that Venison this winter,
    Thanks,
    any more pics?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just a curiosity question.. Do they count the eye guards as a point on Kodiak? For example: a 4x4 would be a Sitka with a G1, G2, G3 + main beam?

I count like I did in the midwest. If it is pointy, count it. So brow tines, main beam, ect.

Great hunt report, sir - thanks for sharing! On a side note, Childress was fired while you were gone. I guess they got your message.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Nice report Vike,

Great to hear of all the nice Bucks, that Combos guy is the real deal, eh?
    Sounds like some interesting Hunt Partners, too,...... always makes it fun? Entertaining?
    Yes a couple of them had very limited big game hunting experience. Field dressing and quartering was particularly entertaining.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Thank you guys for a great trip! you guys brought back alot of memories of being in the corp, thanks for the business and memories!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Thanks for the update heading to nearby Kiliuda Bay myself on the 4th, hope we have the same action.

Please explain how a .308 is overkill on a Blacktail deer. Would you feel better with it's little cousin, the .243?

What happened that makes you feel overgunned?

The Danner Pronghorn boots are ok boots. Your right the leather is sensitive to the moisture? Its all about getting em dried at the end of your hunt. Try using gaitors with leather boots, it's a nice trick I started this year. It really helps. I personally found the Pronghorn models to be be very sneaker like. Very comfy but not particularly adept at load hauling or rough conditions.

Good looking Sitka buck. It's good to bring home some BBQ.

1,000 posts....yippie.

sound like a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Please explain how a .308 is overkill on a Blacktail deer. Would you feel better with it's little cousin, the .243?

What happened that makes you feel overgunned?

The Danner Pronghorn boots are ok boots. Your right the leather is sensitive to the moisture? Its all about getting em dried at the end of your hunt. Try using gaitors with leather boots, it's a nice trick I started this year. It really helps. I personally found the Pronghorn models to be be very sneaker like. Very comfy but not particularly adept at load hauling or rough conditions.

Good looking Sitka buck. It's good to bring home some BBQ.

1,000 posts....yippie.
    My .308 left baseball sized exit wounds through the ribs in both deer. I was using 168gr Berger hunting VLD handloads. I would still bring my .308 again but I would go with a bullet that has better controlled expansion like a TSX or Partition. I actually did bring a .243 and carried that the last two days. Additionally, a TSX out of a .243 does almost no pelt damage to a fox.... and there are more than a few foxes running around.

Interesting to hear how the Berger bullets performed. I've viewed them as an accurate range bullet, but never seriously considered them for hunting. Too many other proven bullets to choose from that have the construction I look to use. (You mentioned a couple of them in your last post.) I remember reading another thread.....I think in the Shooting forum......where someone was asking about Berger bullets for hunting. You might want to stroll over there and give your 2 cents since I don't think I've ever read anyone's reports about hunting with Bergers posted b4.

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the Emerald Isle. Everything I've ever heard about Kodiak Combos for both hunting and fishing has been positive. You were in good hands, and your results showed. Sure hope the hunter that got too cold doesn't look back at the missed hunting and outdoor fun with regret.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On a side note, Childress was fired while you were gone.
    Who was Childress? Why was he canned? What message?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

So how much was your hunt? Whats the story with Brad Childress? I take it he is an unsavory al queda type?

Most excellent story! We also just spent a week chasing deer in Kodiak...haven't had a break yet to write it up but needless, everyone had chances to fill tags. Kodiak hands down based on this trip is an awesome deer hunt...except for our bear charging encounter but that's another story.

Tell your buddies to 'man up' for the hunt ;-) I had 400 thinsulate boots and was a wee bit cold myself but, didn't let it stop me. Think 1000 grain is the boot for this hunt. Our deer were up/down depending on the WX/temp...snow was not to be seen anywhere down low...and yours?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Nice story, thanks for sharing. Also happy about Childress being gone, still not over the Saints lose and I hold him responsible! Just wanted to add to your gear review. Also have the dragonfly and love the pack, so virsitile. Get the rainfly and zip in duffle if you don't have them. Used the rainfly for 7 days of hunting in the rain on POW and was the only person with dry gear and a dry pack. Also use to have the prohorns and agree they are a great boat for pheasant hunting, but do not recommend them for the mountains no grip or support in the real steep stuff. As Bighorse said, I also started using gators found them very funtional for staying dry and comfortable in the rainforest.