Thread: San Juan Bay cabin - Montague Island

Default San Juan Bay cabin - Montague Island

Has anyone has stayed at the San Juan Bay Forest Service cabin on Montague Island? I'm curious if the nearby creek(s) entering the bay can be crossed with waders or will a raft be needed? Will be my first hunt for blacktails.

Might be doable with waders. The closest creek to the cabin is not very wide or fast, but pretty deep. The cabin stove isnt the greatest unless they have changed it out in the last several years. Shoot me a PM if you want/need any info.

We stayed in there in 2007 and it was great! The cabin had recently been re-done and it was very nice. We didn't have problems with the stove (although make sure to bring plenty of fuel...we used about 8 gallons in 8 days and were conserving it a few days in). When we were there the main creek right down next to the beech was pretty low and it was easily crossable with hip waders and even X-tra tuffs. I am sure if a real bad rain comes in it would be challenging to cross. PM me if you want more details.

Was there a couple of weeks ago. While we did not stay at the cabin we did wonder over there to see if they had any deer hanging. The creek is about 20 yards wide and about thigh deep. No real current was observed.

yep in a bad rain, that creek can be impossible to cross and it can happen quick. I was stuck on one side of that creek for 3 days. AKHUNTER, how was the deer population doing?

What deer.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    What deer.
    So no deer huh? We didnt see hardly any either in 2007