Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Mile Caribou Delayed

Default 40 Mile Caribou Delayed

I didn't see this posted...

According to the 40 Mile hotline the hunt is being delayed in zone 1 due to caribou near the road and 3 (south of MP 60 on the Taylor) due to Nelchina caribou in the area. There is no date for when they will open it.

Part of the White Mountain hunt has also been delayed due to 40 Mile bou in the area.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oops rod that was last falls hunt....

Edit... lol yours is gone guess you seen it too..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So the hunt is delayed vince post has me all confused. If this is the case this sucks we all put in for leave and others passes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    So the hunt is delayed vince post has me all confused. If this is the case this sucks we all put in for leave and others passes.
    rod posted a link to last falls E/O and then removed it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

they could still change things and open it up on the 1st, or any day after, it just depends on the bou, they could clear out in a day if they want to. Don't worry it will still open. But with this hunt you got to be flexible and role with the punches, Some years you win some you lose. Last report had very very few bou near the taylor except nelchina bou south of mile 60. But hey it's not always easy, thats why it's hunting. Trust me as frustrating as a delay can be, stepping up to the fire line with 1000 other "hunters" and dodging bullets while you try to shoot at a freaked out bou 600 plus yards out is not much fun. And it always results in going over the harvest quota which screws up everybody else plans to hunt for a year afterwards.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Well this really bites! I guess we will have to see what Monday brings. Anyone know the condition of the Taylor Highway? I believe it is closed for the winter, but is it closed at the junction with the AK Highway or farther up?

at the junction with the alaska highway, some people drive it depending on snow depth, depends on you and your confidence in your four wheel drive and life ins. I drive it, but my ex wife wants me dead anyway, so its a win for somebody no matter what the outcome :-)
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

You know they will open it on a weekday too to limit the number of hunters. That's probably a good thing though.

Anybody have a road condition/ weather report for the taylor highway right now, I heard there was about a foot of new snow down that way, Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    You know they will open it on a weekday too to limit the number of hunters. That's probably a good thing though.
    It was scheduled to open on a weekday anyways. A weekend opener will be a madhouse.

Here is the article from DNM if you missed it http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...aylor-Highway?

So the way I read the EO is that north of mile 60 on the taylor is active on the 1st?

that's correct the hunt will still open on the 1st north of the 60 mile marker on the Taylor highway. Now we just need some bou to actually be near the taylor and we'll have a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    that's correct the hunt will still open on the 1st north of the 60 mile marker on the Taylor highway. Now we just need some bou to actually be near the taylor and we'll have a hunt.

On your way down stop by the Steese and start herding some over to the Taylor. They don't have to make it all the way 20 or 30 miles off the road will work.

Not to help out 10000 hunters, but the 5 caribou I have shot during winter have all been north of milepost 60 on the taylor. I dont put a whole lot of faith in what I am told by fng or anyone else. Caribou can be here today and gone tomorrow. The report on the caribou hotline is from the 24th. I say If you planned on hunting the taylor anyways then go. I will be there on the 1st to help friends of mine get their first caribou. I plan to get some big old ptarmigan.

Default Taylor Highway and winter Fortymile Caribou hunt

I'd agree with the above 60-mile post. Not because you won't see caribou south of 60 - because you will, or have a good chance to - but because they usually close it south of 60 since Nelchina herd caribou move into the area. Driving north to above 60 and seeing a bunch of nice caribou running around on Mt. Fairplay (what is that, 33-35 mile?) is very cool, exciting, tempting and a major tease. lol. I'd be curious to hear what the Taylor Highway conditions are now, after this recent spat of freezing rain and ice and snow. Big trucks trying to pass each other at narrow parts of the road that is unmaintained (not plowed) and basically two major ruts in the snow can be a bit tricky. I've helped a few times shovel and push/tow someone out that got too far off to the side and into some nasty stuff. I've also seen some crazy setups ride that road in the winter - giant tires and chains just rolling it like nothing was out of the ordinary! It is beautiful country up there and if you get to Jack Wade and the junction/Boundary areas there is some great huntable and accessable areas and if caribou are around and moving you should find them. Good luck and be safe to all who go. Bring plenty of gas for the rig too!

I was thinking I would just park my truck and ride my snowmachine to north of 60 mile. I have never been out to the taylor highway in the winter, but I use to ride 40 to 50 miles to get to the caribou when I lived in Barrow. Should be enough snow on the road? Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

letshunt, I think you will do well. I usually see them at the y at about mile 100

This is going to be my first caribou hunt. I was thinking about going up the Steese and possably taking my snowmachine out to get one. any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by colem8806 View Post
    This is going to be my first caribou hunt. I was thinking about going up the Steese and possably taking my snowmachine out to get one. any suggestions?
    join the club, wait for the judges (F&G) to start the race & enjoy the time out there battling against hundreds of other steese hunters. just got back from a drive up there for video saw close to 300 right next to the road. I don't for-see it being opened for awhile, I'm looking at the taylor for next weekend. first 4 caribou I took came off the taylor(winter)hunt, as long as it's not -50 it is not bad & fast eddys is a great place to stop or stay at.

So anyone going for opening day? I was planning on being there, but my trucks differential went down, so I am stuck on vacation time sitting around till it's fixed. But I am planning on going when it's fixed. though the last reports out of tok say very very few caribou near the taylor, and 35 below for the temps.... Good times

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast