Thread: Small Dogs

Default Small Dogs

Just wondering if anyone can share how the small short haired dogs fair in alaska? Something like a min pin or french bulldog.

You see a lot of short haired small dogs up here. They do very well as long as you can get them to wear a winter sweater/coat and the dogie booties are a must. Even than at 45 below they will not be staying outside very long. You will not want to stay out that long either.

I have a ChiHuaHua.... in Anchorage. He doesn't get to go outside without supervision, but has had no problems quickly doing his business and returning to the back door.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

They survive just fine under supervision. I wouldn't buy one with plans to bring it up but if I had one that was already part of the family then I would not get rid of it. My biggest gripe is that they really can't go out into the outdoors with the family which just adds one more obstacle to overcome before heading out into the woods. It is kind of hard to take something that size to a river that is lined with hungry eagles! It is also not feasible to drag a min-pin back with you moose hunting. If momma don't go and you want something to stay home with her and keep her company then it isn't a big deal. For me, when our Pomeranian passed I got a bigger dog, the Pom was great for southern condo living but not for AK. Now when it's time to head out I just holler to the new pup and he loads up and is ready!

I have a lab too. He can handle "most" of the cold". The ChiHuaHua stays home with Momma. In the summer, it is difficult to think about the eagles. He is 16 pounds and quite agile..... but the eagles are street smart!

Here they are after stealing my boat and grounding it.

Furry bastages!!! I love them so..... I tolerate a bit of nonsense.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Is that a rifle holder attached to the center windshield support? If so where do I get one?

Bet I could build you one
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Is that a rifle holder attached to the center windshield support? If so where do I get one?
    LuJon - It is just an ATV rifle holder. I think I got it at Sportsmans. They make them for 2 guns also. There are 2 mounts.... exactly the same. They work great. I also hang items on them like my 50# scale and camera. I need to modify them to hold a coffee cup! I was worried that it would beat a gun up.... no problem as you can lift them a bit off the floor.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Here they are after stealing my boat and grounding it.

Furry bastages!!! I love them so..... I tolerate a bit of nonsense.
    Dirt, that is the Greatest Photo and Caption both above and below, I could frame that....

TBoehm, I have heard those less hairy dogs are great out at sea, make for great bait in a Crab Pot

ok, sorry, I couldn't resist, thought you might laugh,
    but if you really love that thing. Trade it in for a Fur Dog, so you can bring it with you outside the house
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've had two small dogs during my 18 years in Alaska. No problem with small dogs in the outdoors as long as you train them to stay close. Our first dog, a yorkie that we kept shaved close, was a hiking machine that just kept going and going until the tent went up - then he would find a sleeping bag and zonk out. The only close encounter I had was in my front yard in Anchorage, I turned around to put the mail on the front step and just as I got back out to him in the yard, the shadow of the diving eagle swept over. The eagle pulled up and landed in a tree at the end of the road, sqawked, then flew off. If I was a couple seconds later, he would have been toast.

Both of my little dogs have had a little "big dog syndrome" and have had tangles with Moose in the yard. They have been small and quick enough so far to avoid getting stomped or kicked (unlike my neighbor's lab), and seem to have a knack for getting the charging moose tangled in the swing set when they dive under.

Our current dog is slightly larger so not as much eagle bait, but he is not the outdoor dog that yorkie was.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Heres a pic of my wiener hanging out...he does okay... rides with mom every where he goes... hates to stay home... winters he goes out and in fast.. but does his job ..

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My wifes dog goes everywhere with us. He has a life jacket for dingy rides and sweaters for cold days. He has his place on my wifes Ranger also. They also make great heaters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input. I really enjoy dogs and was thinking about some sort of lap breed to play with the cat and the lab. Been doing some research and just not sure what I want. Now one of the leading canidates is an American eskimo in the Mini size.

it;s been said, but will reiterate to keep in mind that small dogs are very popular here in AK, in that the larger owls, hawks, coyotes, fox, lynx just love them.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can share how the small short haired dogs fair in alaska? Something like a min pin or french bulldog.
    We have a 9lb jack russel female that has super short hair. She hates the coats we put her in and if you laugh at her after putting her coat on she runs under the bed and won't come out. We love the little dickens but she is really impractical, she hates the cold and really hates the rain. We really worry about owls and eagles too. She has brought so much joy to our family we put up w/ the hassle hair on everything

We have 2 little jack danials dogs along with 2 german shepard we do have our hands full at times. Great door bells if I must say though. Our little female needs dressed in red to go outside just so we don't loose her little white mug cuz when she gets cold she does handstands and would freeze to death where she's standing
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I know what you mean about hating the coat. My 60lb short haired Blue Healer would let me put her coat and winter boots on her. but she would NOT MOVE just stand there on the rug by the door and not move. She would run a half mile to go around a mud puddle. She refused to get her feet wet. God bless her. She was by my side night and day for 16 years. She died last spring @ 16.
    She was just a big over grown baby. It fit her name (Baby)