Thread: later seaduck/ diver season?

Default later seaduck/ diver season?

what do you guys think about asking for a later seaduck/diver season like kodiak and area 10 do? they have later general duck seasons, as does southeast. but who cares about shooting seaducks in sept? if you can find them, most are not mature.
    the birds are coming in later every year and we should be able to change with them, especially since other parts of the state already do. i would like to see at least the seaduck season changed to oct-jan. kodiak is only 80 miles from me, we should be on the same schedule. just my opinion.
    buck

A friend and I have been talking about trying to put something togeather for a few years to make a later seaduck season. I would love to see it.

I know this will probably never happen, but I wish we could have a week long spring season to get some fully plumed birds. I see tons of full color pintails and widgeon in the eklutna flats, but it's always during the spring.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I would love to see a later sea duck season. Even if we have to have that reduced harlie, longtail and eider limit they enacted this year.

I would love it, for the homer area and PWS and Ressurection it would be perfect!

Count me in. I love hunting sea ducks and later would be GREAT. Keep me in the loop.
    Duck Don

Having just read the proposed rules for the 2010 season in the Federal Register, I learned that the feds set the general open season, but it is up to Alaska to set the actual seasons by area/unit.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward proposal to put to the BOG to have a sea duck split to take full advantage of the federal end date of the last wednesday in January. The feds will still restrict the total season to 107 days.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I know this will probably never happen, but I wish we could have a week long spring season to get some fully plumed birds. I see tons of full color pintails and widgeon in the eklutna flats, but it's always during the spring.
    Just move to Bethel, Nome, Kotz, Dillingham, or any place listed as "rural" in the federal regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Having just read the proposed rules for the 2010 season in the Federal Register, I learned that the feds set the general open season, but it is up to Alaska to set the actual seasons by area/unit.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward proposal to put to the BOG to have a sea duck split to take full advantage of the federal end date of the last wednesday in January. The feds will still restrict the total season to 107 days.
    We talked about this last year about this same time. I was forwarded and email from Tom Rothe on how the regulations work, I will see if I still have it.

One question I have is do you extend the season by species or by area? I think it would be easier to do an area verses by species.

If the state holds an annual waterfowl meeting on the season dates like they due here in NH. You could attend it and voice your conserns about a later season there in AK as long as the state sets the dates within the federal "Frameworks" dates. Maybe you would need to contact your F&G comissioner to due voice your consern if an annual meeting is not held in Alaska.

The state has a Time frame that they can work within to set the dates for hunting for waterfowl that the feds set differently every year due to waterfowl populations.

Good Luck,
    Kevin