Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anchor River King Escapement Lowered by ADFG

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    KENAI
    Posts
    67

    Default Anchor River King Escapement Lowered by ADFG

    Out of the www.juneauempire.com King min escapement lowered from 5000 to 3800,

    what are your thoughts...personally I think it has a lot to do with the social/econimic pressures not to shut down the fishery/add restrictions early like the last couple of years for tourists/locals and is not in the best interest of the fish.

  2. #2
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Can't meet escapement? Lower goals.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Can't meet escapement? Lower goals.
    I am pleased to see it happening on the KP. Maybe, just maybe those folks will enjoy sharing the misery with their Northern Cousins. Better get used to it Seal Humper. Your very own have know turned agin' ya.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Can't meet escapement? Lower goals.
    Seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days.

    SHEESH!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Can't meet escapement? Lower goals.
    Exactly. The same logic was used on the early run of the Kenai. Not good, brother, not good.....

  6. #6

    Default

    Maybe people should try and understand how the goal was set. Below is the link to reports submitted at the LCI meeting that discussed escapement goals. It sounds like three more years of weir data provided a better understanding of maximum sustained yield which was 3,800 instead of 5,000. If fish were money, wouldn't you rather invest $3,800 at 20% interest instead of 5,000 at 10% interest? I'm not saying those are the numbers, just using it as an example.

    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f...nfo/deprep.php

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    Maybe people should try and understand how the goal was set. Below is the link to reports submitted at the LCI meeting that discussed escapement goals. It sounds like three more years of weir data provided a better understanding of maximum sustained yield which was 3,800 instead of 5,000. If fish were money, wouldn't you rather invest $3,800 at 20% interest instead of 5,000 at 10% interest? I'm not saying those are the numbers, just using it as an example.

    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f...nfo/deprep.php
    I am a big fan of Long Term/Low Risk Investment Strategies. I don't Day Trade. Perhaps....the Market will sustain the making of Overnight Millionaires for decades to come....I'm betting NOT.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    I agree with commfish on the reasons why the goal was changed. However, I find it interesting that while the goals were lowered the only inriver restriction that was changed on the Anchor was that you can now harvest 2 instead of 5 kings yearly from the Anchor. Lower the goals but leave the same restrictions in place... I wonder why the extra time given by the BOF at the 2007 meetings was not addressed. Removing that first weekend (given at the 2007 meetings) would of added some merit to the fact that the goals were lowered but at the same time it would of allowed for some additional downstream passage of steelhead. Steelhead season was restricted by an earlier closure date of November 1 for those that are not aware of this change.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •