Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator success stories

crazedBOWhunter

Default Predator success stories

I'm always interested in hearing about successful hunts...let's hear em...

check my two most recent threads.(i am officialy addicted) and (my first predator)
    hope you like them.

Default first lynx

Well this morning was my first time out with my new spitfire and decoy, First stand 45 minuites nothing. Second stand 42 minuites into it and I see movement a lynx was right under the spruce tree my caller was hanging in. I made a mistake and put the decoy across the trail from the caller. I had no shot bc the tree was blocking him I slightly moved to try to see around the tree and he bolted. Frustrated but elated that I finally called something in I gathered my gear and headed a half mile down the trail and set up again this time the decoy was right under the caller. 49 minuites into it a rabbit came tearing down the trail and ran right past my decoy and kept going faster than ive ever seen a rabbit run. I new something had to be on his trail. 5 minuites later here comes a big Tom creeping from 50 yrds out through the alders right to my decoy. I dropped the volume down to 1 and when he got to 30 yrds I hammered him with my 870 shotgun with 3.5 in dead coyote loads he dropped and didnt move. My first Lynx I super excited. I dont know if it was just luck or I found a really productive spot but 2 lynx in 3 stands is pretty good to me.

crazedBOWhunter

That's freakin AWESOME!! I tell ya what, I'm happy for ya but a little frustrated/jealous...I've been out countless times w/ absolutely nothing coming in... again, awesome!!

Way to be patient, Geoff. I don't know that I would sit on a single stand 50 minutes. Obviously it paid off for you, so maybe I need to re-think my strategy next time I'm out. Congratulations!

Last year I made a loop and made 5 sets along it, I called in 5 or 6 Lynx, my buddy and I each took 2 that afternoon.. Seen 3 Lynx my whole life, yet called in that many in 1 day..So far calling this year hasn't been as productive. I think with some snow and colder temps,, and the moon going away, early morning will yeild excellent calling in a week or so.

I have an 870. Did you do anything to camo it? That sounds like a memory maker, congratulations!! What shape was the hide in after the shotgun? How close did you shoot? I am interested in predator hunting and still getting off the bench. You should be very proud of your success.

I've been out a bit this season and have two nice Fox to show for it as well as 5 coyotes. This weather lately is putting a hamper on things and the thick overcast shut down trying to use the moon this past week. I have a few new areas to call this year that I want to get to, but need cold weather to safely cross some bodies of water. I hope you all have a great calling season and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian,
    It's not unusual to sit that long for cats. A typical cat stand should be at least 30 min. A lot of the time they will come in sooner but you just can see them because they move slowly and just appear. Dogs on the other hand usually come in much quicker and are much easier to spot their movement.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Brian,
    It's not unusual to sit that long for cats. A typical cat stand should be at least 30 min.
    Yeah, I know that in my head, but I think I'd have a hard time sitting there for more than 30 minutes. If I absolutely knew I was in a good spot with lots of lynx sign I might do it, but after about 30 minutes I'm thinking of moving on. Of course, I haven't taken a cat yet, so that might explain a lot.

I've called in quite a few cats, even called in a double one time. All of the cats I've called, I spotted within 15 minutes. I play the numbers game though (more stands vs. less longer stands). I'm pretty much running and gunning once I get started. I run and gun until I can't keep my eyes opened any more, or I'm just burned out. Since I've gone to quick stands, very systematically, my hunting has improved. I'm sure that there are stands where if I would stick around for 20-30 minutes, I might see something, but I'm already thinking about the next stand at the 15 minute mark, grabbing the caller and running back to the snowgo or truck to move on. The upside of quicker stands is at cold temperatures, I'm always staying warm, since I never really have a long sit to get cold. If I hear or spot something coming in after 15 minutes I'll stick around, but usually once something is spotted, the cross-hair is on fur and I'm pulling the trigger. Run to collect the fur, quick snapshot photo (sometimes), and then on to the next spot. Skin them all when I get home.

Thanks guys I am still stoked. Rising Creek: my 870 is wrapped in the stick on camo sticker stuff works really well, its my beat em up gun 870s take a lot of punishment and keep on going.. I also used a strangler choke in it. The hide is in excellent shape but not full winter colors yet still alot of brown on him the dead coyotes didnt tear it up at all I shot it at about 35- 40 yrds. An hr does seem like a long time on stand but I did a lot of reading, and spoke to a few successful callers before I tried it myself and everything told me cats in my area take longer, and to stay on it at least an hr before moving. Both cats showed up between 40 and 50 minuites into it.

Default cat pic

heres my cat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 154997_1347014175725_1842423256_652369_1075390_n.jpg  

Can't wait to put one in the back of my truck. Good job. Well earned.

idk wat is good for predetor hunting 243 or 308 870 help

Way to go and congrats !!!!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default 870

Im using my 870 for lynx because my smallest rifle is a 270 wich would be ok for wolves iffy for yotes but smaller critters would get tore up with the 243 and 308. Im no expert by any means but my 870 with 3.5 inch loads with bbs or dead coyote loads is perfect for lynx out to probably 60 yrds. According to the literature I have read dead coyote loads are deadly on coyotes out to 80 yrds with the right choke tube. But like I said im no expert someone with more knowledge on here may have a different opinion.

Default Last years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fox pic resized.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	42269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	42268

Here is a pic of 2 Lynx I took last year with my Bennelli SBEII, I think I was using 8 shot. And a red fox I called in and shot off the Denali Hwy with a .223 Savage bolt action rifle. Used Barnes Varmit Grenades..

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    idk wat is good for predetor hunting 243 or 308 870 help
    Some think the .243 is perfect.

HOYT, THAT fOX PICTURE IS AWESOME. tHE SCENERY SPELLS aLASKA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast