Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

Next winter I would like to try my hand at a little trapping. Just wondering what I need to buy to get started. Would like to try a little of everything snares,coils, etc.etc. I go to some of those trapping class I here you all talking about to get some knowledge. Just mainly want to get outdoors with a purpose in mind. Doesn't matter if I catch anything, I'll surely learn over time. Just want to put 2-3 of each type of trap to try my hand at it and see if I get lucky. Was thinking it my be cheaper to buy gear down here in the lower 48 before I move up next May.

I'm new too, but I would suggest a .22 pistol, some snares, some #9wire and snips. O, and snow shoes.
    From there, it's up to you, but that will get you in the woods on some fur.

It all depends on what you want to trap and where you want to trap them. In general for trapping your going to want a hatchet, back pack or snow machine, snow shoes, and wire and lure for that animal. And then more animal specific your going to need the traps for that animal, or snares. And if your going to trap larger animals you may want a .22 or .17 or something of that nature. When are you coming up? Why dont you PM me and we can set it up so you can come over and I will show you what I do and some basics. I am no authority on trapping but I know some. Bushrat is a good one to talk to on here.

Thanks you'll guess I did leave the question a little vaige. So many options. I will shoot you a PM hunt.