Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good trail camera and tree stand?

Default A good trail camera and tree stand?

Anyone have any suggestion on a good trail camera for a decent price?Likewise for a tree stand

Both of these are a lengthy topic and as always, everyone has their favorites. I've been researching new camera's now for two months and there are many factors to consider. For example:

1) unit size
    2) protective case
    3) memory (most cameras limit you to a 2GB card)
    4) battery life
    5) IR sensor for night shots
    6) resolution adjustment
    7) length it takes to set-up
    8) card viewing in the field e.g. unit contains a LCD display, has an attachable card reader, or will it require a compatible camera

The next item to consider is do you want a DIY kit or a ready to use unit?

If your a DIY type of guy, there are a number of kits you can purchase to put your own together - a nice winter project if your into that sort of thing. Here are a few websites with the basics:

1) Hags House - Home Made Trail Camera Project
    2) Whitetail Supply & Feed - The Leader in Home Brew Trail Camera's Parts and Accessories
    3) The Snapshot Sniper

If your not into the DIY thing, I would suggest searching online (there is a ton of information out there).

Camera's average $150-$200 each. This is one area I wouldn't go cheap on, the resource is to valuable IMO. Protective enclosures are an additional expense - which I recommend and are usually $25-$50 each. Check to see if one is available for your camera before you buy though; they are not available for all camera types.

Last year, I thought I'd save money and didn't get any protective enclosures... now I have a box of broken camera's that curious bears (or bears that detected bait scent on the camera due to not using rubber gloves when baiting) decided to eat and/or use as a toy.
    Funny..I never required any protective enclosures for moose and deer hunting

If cost is a concern and you are looking for cheap cameras there are some out there but beware. While cameras like the Wildview Extreme 3 cameras at Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse are affordable (under $100 each), they are fragile, have weak cases, and only detect game within 15' or so of the camera. They are also harder to set-up and take more time.

If most camera's are to expensive (money is always an issue especially in today's economy) I would suggest looking in the bargain bin at various online outdoor retailers. This can be a great resource. Recently, I've found some camera's as much as $60 off - but they go quick!

Here are a few links specifically related to game camera reviews:

1) Chasing Game has a good amount of cameras under review. Check out both the 2009 & 2010 reviews.
    2) Trailcampro also has some good information and is worth checking out.
    3) Hunting and Fishing Game Review has a number of Trail Cameras as well.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Uway NightTrakker NT50 8MP IR Trail Camera. It's $150 more than most other camera's but it's settings are fully adjustable, it has a 50' motion sensor (color pictures during the day), a night-time 60' IR sensor (B/W photos at night), it's small, records both sound and video, will take up to a 16GB memory card, and the batteries last up to six months on standby. ScoutGuard also makes good cameras and they are small (harder to find/detect).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Last year what the first time I've ever used a trailcam, I used a Wildview, those cheap ones. Was like $75 or so at sportsmans, it worked decently, although the capturing of images is kind of slow. Going to upgrade to a better cam next year, haven't figured found one yet though. Be sure to use rubber gloves when messing with your cam, and maybe some sort of enclosure for it. I strapped mine to the tree with ratchet straps. For a treestand, I use big game treestands, they work great, affordable and comfortable. Ordered mine from cabelas(free shipping on it also), but also check out sportsmans, they have decent deals on stands as well. I like hang on stands, but ladder stands are nice as well, just more bulky to pack in. Never used a climber so no opinion on that.

Sportsman's Warehouse Black Friday/Super Sale (sale 11/26-12/02)
    Moultrie Game Spy D-50 Digital Trail Cam
    sale price $79.99
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...4031/cat100191
    Decent cam for a decent price.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Haven't spent anytime hunting in a tree stand in Alaska, but while bowing hunting in Texas and Kentucky in years past, I used a Loggy Bayou tree stand (climber style) and loved it. I still have it Rat Holed away along with a ladder stand I started with. Don't forget to use fall protection harness. The vest ones are the most comfortable. Believe me, they are much better than the cheap ones that just strap around your waist. I slipped and fell out one day with the waist strap. It held up, but hurt like hell and was hard to breath, it was almost impossible to get back in the stand. The vest style is definately the way to go. But if your gonna spend a day in a stand, the cats meow is the Tree Lounge. You can sleep in one and not fall out. If you want comfort along with portability, check this out.

http://treelounge.com/

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Sportsman's Warehouse Black Friday/Super Sale (sale 11/26-12/02)
    Moultrie Game Spy D-50 Digital Trail Cam
    sale price $79.99
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...4031/cat100191
    Decent cam for a decent price.
    What a deal and its actually $69.99, I'll be there waiting at 5am tomorrow

the moultree has been good for me, im looking at the cuddeback next, im looking for something with a faster trigger speed - I have some shots of nothing and i wonder if an animal is just out of frame. for tree stands I have found that I need the models with the footrest and armrests, there is less fatigue because you change positions slightly and shift your weight around, important when sitting for 3 or 4 hours(ie the gorilla king kong lounger)

got the cuddie and the moultrie that SW has on sale tomorrow. Like the moultrie way better and I can get 3 of them for one cuddie. I put the two right next to one another last bear season. The cuddie took 174 pics to the moultries 452. Same time settings. I thought the pics were better with the moultrie too. Moultrie does have a little bit more of a set up time (like 2 minutes) when u first put the batteries in but thats about it.

thats good to hear, I guess i'll grab one tomorrow, not a bad deal at $70.

I have read good things about the moultree. I have found most reports list the primos truthcam 35 to be a little better but I don't have hands on with either. Amazon has the truth cam for the low 80's and I plan on picking up a couple prior to next hunting season.

For those interested, Moultree has a camera security box for $59.99. Click here for details.

Regarding treestands, Rivers Edge has good products and are sold locally at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Their stands are both affordable, light-weight (with-in reason) and well built. I've used both the BigFoot and BigFoot XL Lounger hang-on treestand and their 20' LumberJack stand. The ladder stands have a shooting rail that gives you extra protection allowing you to more around more, if needed, and a solid shooting surface.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I forgot to add - Moultrie has good products. I used the Moultrie Game Spy I40 Digital Trail Camera last year ($200 at Sportsman's Warehouse). The best feature was the laser aiming system.. it's fast and fool-proof (if there is such a thing). Set-up was quick at the bait site. The units weak points were the durability of it's case and the attachment strap, being limited to a 4GB max memory card, being limited to three mulit-shots, and the memory card is a pain in the backside to get in and out unless you have small fingers because of where it's located.

One thing I've always had in the back of my mine with a ladder stand is this senario. Your in a ladder stand 15-20 feet high off the ground. The ladder stand is rated for 350 pounds and it is leaning on the tree and supported with maybe one support beam which is secured to a tree with a strap and so is the top. The bear that you really don't want to take, decided to check out your stand and put his paws on it and tries to climb a bit or shake the stand. It would be like shaking a coconut from a tree. For that reason alone, the ladder stand I own was only ever used in areas with no climbing predators. For that reason alone I've always prefered a climber or hanging stand. Yeah, they came climb a tree and pretty darn quick, but I think you stand a better chance than a ladder stand. JM2C

Climbers are nice, but they limit your stand options more often than not. You can use hang-on's just about anywhere but tree-steps are a pain if you don't have the right tree. Ladder stands are great - especially if hunting on a budget.

Check out YouTube.. there are bears climbing all kinds of tree's that hunters are hunting from. I think this is because the hunter lead them there more than anything else.

When you bait, don't go near your tree or walk near your blind. Don't eat on stand and use different gloves and boots to keep bait scent where you want it. Don't burn honey, etc. from your stand. Use something to camoflauge you while in stand and break-up your outline. That said, even if you take all the precautions necessary, a bear may find your stand and investigate. Bears are known to be curious at times.

If that happens, remember, you control the situtation.

Talk to the bear and tell it to stop like the guy in this video:

If that doesn't work, stand up and waive your hands, yell if need be, use pepper-spray, fire a warning shot or as a last resort take the bear. IMO if the bear gets to close the hunter let it happen and is at fault. Watch the video below and see if you agree.

No doubt the guy got some great film, but IMO he could have been hurt. He also taught a young bear a bad lesson future hunters will have to deal with.

Yeah that last bear would have definitely broke my ".44 mag barrier"...a tad too close and brave.

Going to have to go by sportsman

was just at sportmans today in anchorage they have lot of trail cams in stock.. I picked up one for this spring going to less pic's and more video this year.

Moultrie has a special on refurbished game cams. GOOGLE moultrie buy one get one free game camera
    They warranty them as if they are new. Thought I would throw this out there for ya fellas.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Haven't spent anytime hunting in a tree stand in Alaska, but while bowing hunting in Texas and Kentucky in years past, I used a Loggy Bayou tree stand (climber style) and loved it. I still have it Rat Holed away along with a ladder stand I started with. Don't forget to use fall protection harness. The vest ones are the most comfortable. Believe me, they are much better than the cheap ones that just strap around your waist. I slipped and fell out one day with the waist strap. It held up, but hurt like hell and was hard to breath, it was almost impossible to get back in the stand. The vest style is definately the way to go. But if your gonna spend a day in a stand, the cats meow is the Tree Lounge. You can sleep in one and not fall out. If you want comfort along with portability, check this out.

http://treelounge.com/
    +! on the Treelounger. It is the only stand that I can stay in all day. 12 hours many days and yes I do take naps. Never a worry about falling out and I ususally go 25' up. Haven't used trail cams yet but want to. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Moultrie has a special on refurbished game cams. GOOGLE moultrie buy one get one free game camera
    They warranty them as if they are new. Thought I would throw this out there for ya fellas.
    For those interested, here is the Moultrie product comparison sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast