Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipnetting in Jeopardy

Default Dipnetting in Jeopardy

Chanel 2 news says ADF&G is thinking of chaning the dip net limits. Possible changes are daily bag limit and possesion limit. Daily could be the same as rod limits.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default That would really change things

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Chanel 2 news says ADF&G is thinking of chaning the dip net limits. Possible changes are daily bag limit and possesion limit. Daily could be the same as rod limits.
    Residents would have to camp out for days to get what they need, or they would have to catch a lot more, like going to the Russian. (even more crowded).
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I just wonder how much if they do cut it back it would be. To drive down to the Kenai to net 3 reds (example) would not be worth the time and gas.

I also wonder would they cut back on the emergency orders openings to commerical guys
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

and paying that fee to get to the south beach for 3 or 6 fish would be outrageous too

Man, the people that make the dip nets will take a big hit
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

This was a proposal submitted by a commercial fisherman who lives in Ninilchik. While it proposes to apply statewide, we all know what two rivers he was targeting. Check out the ADF&G website under Boards Support to find this proposal and others scheduled to be taken up at the March BOF meeting.

Default Steve Vanek

The commercial fisherman that is responsible for this proposal is Steve Vanek according to the ADF&G website. There are two of them, numbers 245 and 246. The first says that dipnetters are not substistence fishermen, but recreational and the limit should be the same as bag limits. The second says that dipnetters would have to wait until there is a surplus of fish. It is obviously written with bias, and for the part that lists who is to benifit, he might as well say himself. After dipnetting on the Kasilof last year (first time) I could see that the commercial fishermen just thought the people dipnetting were just in the way and were their competition. Most showed very little respect for the dipnetters. I can see they just want to push the little guy out of there, pure greed.
    In the part that listed who will suffer, he only wrote "dipnetters that want to be subsistence fishermen". He did not list anyone else, like people and businesses who make and repair dipnets, families that have come to depend on the fish for food, the economy of places like Kenai and soldotna.
    It seems very biased, and revealed greed.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default do not give this any consideration.

This proposal will go nowhere and I am sure does not represent the commercial salmon fishing position in UCI. No statewide regulation is going to dictate to each area a common bag and possession limit. The Board of Fish is not going to do this - I will take any bets with people who think they will.

Default Can you say "PROPOSAL FAILED"?

I'm with Nerka on this and I'll even give odds!!

I agree with Nerka, but it is proposals like this by commercial fishermen that fuel the fire, same way on the sport side, even though they only represent themselves, it paints all associated with that industry, whether it be sport, guide, commercial.

He or should I say his wife also put in a lot of proposals to the Subsitence board.

Default Aren't these proposals..

screened or otherwise scrutinized before they are put into the proposal book? It seems a lot of the proposals before the Board of Game are also inferior and will just be a waste of time and laughed at.

The general opinon seems to be that this one will be laughed off the table and it isn't necessary to write/comment on the proposal?

Tim

I think commenting is still a good idea. If you don't speak up the regulatory boards will not know how the users feel. Even if the proposal is off the mark its best to be heard.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b.../fcommtips.php

Default Dipnetting In Jeopardy

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f.../swfinfish.pdf

Proposals 245 & 246 are designed to take away your Alaskan privledge of filling your freezer and putting commercial fishing needs above subsistance. To boot, the proposer, Steve Vanek, states that personal use dipnetting is a recreational activity because you need a sport fishing license to do this. He doesn't mention that a permit is required and he is making every effort to take away dipnetting from us!

Contact ADF&G and put a stop to this! I'm typically not a proponent of politics nor do I ever voice my opinions loudly with the intent to have people listen and follow, but this is a major part of our lives as Alaskans. I feed my family as most do with this fishery. To have this taken away is going to be financially devasting to us all.

Default Steve Vanek

http://www.ciaanet.org/content_sub1...._ID=3&SUB_ID=6

Here's the yay-hoo that's proposed the restricted or elimination for dipnetting; is it any wonder that this group he's affiliated with is also the same group that was trying to take SUBSISTENCE priority over Kenai river fish up to the Russian River?

Don't let him get away with this.

| Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association | info@ciaanet.org | Tel 907-283-5761 | Fax 907-283-9433 |
    | 40610 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Kenai, Alaska 99611

Default Please Enlighten Me

I don't have a commercial interest in the fishery or even dipnet, but he does make a good point in Proposal 246! If dipnetting came about to harvest surplus after the BEG has been met, why is it allowed beforehand? As for Proposal 245 - I strongly disagree! These proposals are like a community forum - just random ideas put to paper; doesn't mean anything will come of it. Nothing wrong with keeping people honesty though! Check out Proposal 234 - Legalize snagging of sockeye in freshwater!

Default Robb

I agree that doing away with the personal use dipnet fishery would be terrible. That said, I wouln't have a problem with the allowable catch being reduced. As a family of 5 I'm allowed 65 fish, and I have caught that many a few times. As much as I love salmon, and as many different ways as I've prepared it, honestly that is just too much fish for one family, as that averages out to about 5#'s of salmon a week, all year long.

There are lots of folks that smoke it and send it outside as gifts. While that is all good and wonderful, it is not the intent of the personal use fisheries.

I could see dropping it to 15 for head of household and 5 for each additional household member, and I don't think that will impact forlks personal use of the resource at all.

Just to let you guys know the entire upper cook inlet comercial fishery has pretty much shut down to get more fish for sport fishermen. They basically get no openings for susitna, or kink arm fish anymore. As for the keani its a dumb idea because no matter how hard the comercial guys fish they won't ever catch more than 60% of the total run. All dipnets do is make the reds harder to catch upriver. Of course nobody sees it this way but reds are smart and really good at avoiding nets I'd say commercial fisheries could be open 7 days a week and the OEG would be met every year, and thats how it was for a long time, than another gear group came along and pressured BOF to stop the comercial guys, and from there it turned into a blame game. Clearly this proposal is a terrible idea and whoever proposed it needs to think a bit because it weakens the commercial position.

Although if the dude is from ninilchik and wants his gillnet on the upper river his position is stregthened by eliminating the subsistence fishery that ninilchik already has.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Get a clue AKPM.

Maybe We Should Cut The Number Of Commercial Fishing Boats And The Number Of Fish That They Can Take. Most Of Them Are Moon Lighters Any Way And Don't Even Live In Alaska.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast