Thread: Starter-trapper...mentor?

Default Starter-trapper...mentor?

I just moved to AK in June for the hunting. I've always wanted to trap, and here's the place to do it. Me and a buddy (akrstabout) are really interested in trapping. If there's anyone who would like an extra set of hands to help with traps, please let me know. I'm definitely not looking to steal someones spot, I just want to learn some of the tricks to the trade and get my feet wet.

If there's a good trapper willing to mentor me a bit, please shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help/learn on a trap line! I bought some books, but it's always better to get out and do it then to read about it. Hope to hear some good responses, Thanks!!

Check with the Alaska Trappers Assn. and South Central Trappers for meeting times and trapping classes. Spend enough time at a meeting getting to know some folks and I am sure that in due time someone will take you under their wing.

AFTA (Alaska Frontier Trappers Association) has a meeting once a month. It's also located at the Palmer Library so it's not hard to get to for you being in Anchorage. As akmac mentioned attend a few meetings, get to know the members you might just end up with a few new trapping friends.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I'll try them out! Thanks guys