Thread: It's So Icy!!! But good for hunting??

Default It's So Icy!!! But good for hunting??

So we all know the roads are icy as can be, kids are staying home, not going to school, even UAA is closed.. Anyhow, it really makes me wonder if all this ice has an effect on hunting... Does the warmer temps during the day push rabbits/hares/grouse out to be more active during the day, or does it push them into conserving energy?... Also, when the ice is all done and over with, will small game have a temporary "Go hunt now" plethora of fun and success? (Much like hunting after a snow fall) Just curious, and would like to pick the more experienced hunter's knowledge.

Gary

Most game will be pretty much hunkered down in my opinion. Duck hunting would be great in the poor weather. Doesn't mean you can't flush the hare and grouse out from their cover. If you own a dog that can sniff em out, wet weather can be great. My beagle tends to use her nose more in wet weather than the dry weather. I think the moisture holds the scent better. So, it really all depends on your perspective. Of course, it might not be all that fun in slop and slush. I don't anticipate going out there myself. Good luck if you do.

rabbit like to sit out in the sun and sun themselves. not the best weather for that.

yeah... no dogs, but i agree totally with them hunkering down, that was my initial thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    rabbit like to sit out in the sun and sun themselves. not the best weather for that.
    words of wisdom, my friend

I can tell you that today I went out in the ice and slop, and only got squirrels! Of course I don't think they are smart enough to know the difference in the weather! If there was anything else out there, it wasn't making itself known, that is for sure! To top it off, the USARAK automated system for Ft Rich lets you check in, despite the base closing the areas down. So there I am, locked down inside with no warning!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

lmao, man oh man, i hate mishaps on ft. rich. I've had many, many stories about my trips there (See My Adventures on Ft. Rich).
    how'd you get out of there when they locked it down?!

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/huntin...096502a/#close
    Little article about grouse hunting in the rain. I'm sure the bunnies are hunkered down, but if you take your time and work over a good area, they'll be there. Hares do not den. They may be under a heavy pile of brush, or a big drooping limb, but they'll be above ground. Even with this nasty weather, you should be able to get into them just fine.

I planned on going out again just as soon as it lets up. I have not done well on days when it was drizzly or had been raining in the last 24 hours, but a day or two after seemed to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary808 View Post
    lmao, man oh man, i hate mishaps on ft. rich. I've had many, many stories about my trips there (See My Adventures on Ft. Rich).
    how'd you get out of there when they locked it down?!
    I drove in the normal Otter Lake entrance following a couple of graders. They waved me past, and off I went. When i went to leave, the gate was locked! This is the second time they did this to me. You would think that with being registered into the area, they would try to contact you, but nope, they leave you to your own devices. I was parked on the side of the main road, not like I was hard to find! Not even a note on the truck so I didn't waste my time trying to exit the normal route.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Smile

You can't hunt gamebirds in the rain and wet conditions. Not possible. No way. No how. I'd stay at home and knit something warm for the winter.

Last fall when my pup found this ruffed grouse for me it was raining lightly and the woods was soaked. This particular bird would have been missed 'cause I'd sent my two dogs off elsewhere, but he couldn't keep his wings shut and drummed a warning to stay out of his area. I whistled up my dogs and sent them into this patch of woods and within a short time they had the bird pointed.

When it comes to grouse and rain or lots of fresh snow falling down, hunters should look to the spruce. The birds need to eat so they can be found out and about in these conditions, but for the most part will be hunkered down up in a thick spruce tree right next to the trunk, or under the overhanging branches down near the ground. A food source will be near by. Grouse don't enjoy being wet all day. Same thing goes for sharptails even though they prefer open grass. Over the decades I've had some great days hunting ruffed grouse in the rain. Nowadays I'm less prone to go out hunting in the rain 'cause I'm getting soft, not because the hunting is terrible. I'm not so sure about the great scenting conditions in the rain. The jury is still out on this one, and the dogs aren't talking.

Jim

Default hunting in the rain

Here's a few pics of my pup's first day hunting. It was pouring, we got soaked! I'm a little hard headed so I hunt whenever I'm off work not when the weather is perfect. Sure I could go shopping on black Friday but I'm sure I'll be out there somewhere with Nitro in this crazy weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    You can't hunt gamebirds in the rain and wet conditions. Not possible. No way. No how. I'd stay at home and knit something warm for the winter.

Last fall when my pup found this ruffed grouse for me it was raining lightly and the woods was soaked. This particular bird would have been missed 'cause I'd sent my two dogs off elsewhere, but he couldn't keep his wings shut and drummed a warning to stay out of his area. I whistled up my dogs and sent them into this patch of woods and within a short time they had the bird pointed.

When it comes to grouse and rain or lots of fresh snow falling down, hunters should look to the spruce. The birds need to eat so they can be found out and about in these conditions, but for the most part will be hunkered down up in a thick spruce tree right next to the trunk, or under the overhanging branches down near the ground. A food source will be near by. Grouse don't enjoy being wet all day. Same thing goes for sharptails even though they prefer open grass. Over the decades I've had some great days hunting ruffed grouse in the rain. Nowadays I'm less prone to go out hunting in the rain 'cause I'm getting soft, not because the hunting is terrible. I'm not so sure about the great scenting conditions in the rain. The jury is still out on this one, and the dogs aren't talking.

Jim
    Well the jury may still be out with your bird dogs, but I guarantee the wet weather is better for scent hounds like beagles. You should try it sometime. The difference is like night and day.