Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: news about dave luce on the yentna river

Default news about dave luce on the yentna river

just got this email from my friend :

Dave Luce and Russ Bevins left on snowmachines either yesterday or the day before for a fuel run..... there is reason to think they may have been en-route to Big Lake since they knew someone else had trouble on the Big Su...... anyway they haven't been seen since..... Troopers are looking as well as a group of snowmachiners from Big Lake.... Kenny was launching at 3 pm even tho the weather was horrible with freezing rain..... he figures at the rate it was accumulating he could fly for 15 or 20 min....... that shoots that theory about no "Old and Bold pilots"....... keep them all in your prayers

Keep us posted on what is happening.

I got the 1st messsage around 6 pm tonight and have been on the phone since. As of midnight no updates. I did find out that they departed Tuesday morning most likely for Big Lake. There is at least one pair leaving Big Lake for Luce's and another leaving Deshka Landing, heading for the same destination Wednesday morning about 7:30 am. These groups are personal friends and very, very experienced river riders. Any and all that are going to assist please be extremely careful. The weather of the last 36 hours has not been very favorable, to searching, river riding or snowmachining period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I got the 1st messsage around 6 pm tonight and have been on the phone since. As of midnight no updates. I did find out that they departed Tuesday morning most likely for Big Lake. There is at least one pair leaving Big Lake for Luce's and another leaving Deshka Landing, heading for the same destination Wednesday morning about 7:30 am. These groups are personal friends and very, very experienced river riders. Any and all that are going to assist please be extremely careful. The weather of the last 36 hours has not been very favorable, to searching, river riding or snowmachining period.
    Sorry that was suppose to be Monday Morning not Tuesday. Was trying to do to many things at the same time.

Just talk to Deshka Landing and the State Toopers left that area at 9:55 this morning in a chopper. Headed down river.
    Everbody do a pray for Dave & Russ!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

They found dave!!!!!!
    Hes alive
    the other guy is also alive< but heperthermic

excellent....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by yetnaman37 View Post
    They found dave!!!!!!
    Hes alive
    the other guy is also alive< but heperthermic
    Great news... now to get them checked out and home for the Holiday!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Default Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much for the phone calls and help and for updating this for me. I am typing through tears at the moment and just thank God they are alright!! My mom is extremely happy of course, and Dave better hope he had the strike anywhere matches mom always makes him carry in a water proof bag or my mom will have a few things to say to him ;-) We are just very thankful and it really reminds us of what to be thankful for this time of year. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks again!

Vicky

I think I going to buy dave a spot unit for christmas. I carry one with me all the time. Then people know where I'm at, and if I'm ok, or need help. Please if you travel the river, get one. They are a great tool to have. I for one am damm happy dave's ok

leif
    Last edited by yetnaman37; 11-24-2010 at 12:01. Reason: add text

I told mom about that unit and I'll bet she will ask Dave to carry one from now on :-)

I am glad to hear they were found alive. Continued prayers for your mom.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Troopers called my mom and said the helicopter had found them. Mom said they must have dropped a radio from the helicopter to Dave because the helicopter pilot spoke to Dave and found out Russ was hypothermic. So far, mom doesn't think they have Dave and Russ in the helicopter yet. She is not sure they are in an area they can land in or if they will have to get a snow machine to them or what the situation is. Will update as I find out more...

Just spoke to the Alaska State Troopers Search and Rescue and they said they have them both now and left Dave at the lodge and transported Russ to Providence Hospital in Anchorage. The trooper I spoke to said he thinks they had to bring the helicopter with the hoist on it to get Dave and Russ up into the helicopter. He said they found them up in the trees which I am guessing is the woods up off o fthe river. More information as I get it...

Default Update on Dave and Russ...

Hello all. Just got the rest of the story from my mom, who spoke to Dave. Dave said that Russ had asked him if he wanted to go into town and get fuel because Russ was very low and he wanted to check out the trail. Dave said no because the river and weather were too bad and that Russ could just take some of Dave's fuel. Russ still planned on going without Dave so Dave decided he had better go so Russ was not on his own. I will try to remember the details as well as I can but I may get a few place names incorrect. Mom said they went down to Scary Tree and went along there I think. Russ wanted to check out a trail that the Iron Dog Racers had been going on recently so they went wherever that was. Not sure if it was after that or on the way there, but Russ's machine broke through the ice so Dave circled around in front of him and pulled him out. Since Russ was wet and cold then, Dave said they needed to head back to the lodge and Russ agreed. On the way back to the lodge, Dave's machine fell through the ice and Russ circled around to try and pull him out, and then Russ's machine fell through the ice. At that point, they were about 9 miles from the lodge I think and Dave wanted to walk back but Russ just wasn't able to get very far before he colapsed. Dave went into the woods and found a summer cabin that he was able to get into and he got Russ into it. The cabin was not insulated and Dave was not able to find any matches so they had a cold night the first night. On the second day, I believe, Dave found two flint fire starters in the cabin. The first one didn't work, but Dave was able to use the second one to start a fire. Dave said Russ wasn't doing very well and he was trying to decide if he should walk back to the lodge for help or stay with Russ. Luckily, Dave started to hear the snow machines and he said he even heard a helicopter last night so he knew people might be out searching. They were quite a way off the river though, from what I understand, and were not able to get a signal to the people searching fast enough. The next day, Dave heard the planes and helicopter searching, and saw Kenny but no one was able to see him where they were. So, Dave hiked down to the river and waited out there until someone was able to spot him. So, Dave was dropped off at the Lodge and Russ was taken to Providence Hospital in Anchorage. It didn't sound like Russ was doing very well though so I am praying that he comes through. The machines are still out there, but my mom has threatened Dave with his life to stay away from them until it freezes. I don't think Dave has any desire to go after them anytime soon anyway :-)

I just want everyone to know how much we all appreciate your help and support. You will never know what it has meant and means to us. Mom wishes she could call and thank you all personally, but she is just so tired right now. She is still in Anchorage since she missed the good weather window to get out to the lodge. Mom says Dave was extremely emotional when she was speaking to him after she told him all that had been done to look for him. He said he felt a bit embarrassed as well, but we are just glad he is around to be embarrassed. Dave was going to call you all and thank you and talk to you on the phone, but he was just too emotional to talk on the phone. Please just know that we are so thankful for you all. God Bless You and have a great Thanksgiving!!!

So glad that this story has a happy ending. I'll keep praying for Russ- hopefully he'll be out of the hospital soon.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Just found this site and will update as time etc allows. I'm fine. A few slight errors in the telling but the basics are there. I will be glad to see everyone this winter.---Dave Luce

Dave , could we hear the correct story and how it unfolded. Glad both made it back ok. Thanks

Dave, So glad to hear that you are alright. This is brent and brian from above yentna station and if you need any help retrieving the sleds or if there is anything else that we can do for just let us know. Hopefully it gets cold and we will see you soon.

Try to go to alaskadispatch.com dated november 25 article titled thanksgiving joy for Alaskans who cheated death Outside of some editorial embellishments, it is fairly accurate. Many thanks to everyone for all the good thoughts. I'm sure it helped. Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast