Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Rifle Project - .280AI

Default My Latest Rifle Project - .280AI

I got the barreled action back from the 'smith today. This is my second .280AI, and I wanted this one lighter than my first. Here are the specs and some photos:

Remington SS ADL action, squared & lapped
    Lilja #1 barrel, chopped at 22" and measures .590" at the muzzle
    Remington Ti stock, barrel channel opened slightly
    Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x, Talley LW's
    Factory trigger & other parts
    All up, she weighs 7lbs, 1oz and balances just behind the front action screw.

I think it'll work....

Pieces & Parts:

Assembled:

I've been looking at the 280AI for a while. That looks like it turned out nice. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I got the barreled action back from the 'smith today. This is my second .280AI, and I wanted this one lighter than my first. Here are the specs and some photos:

Remington SS ADL action, squared & lapped
    Lilja #1 barrel, chopped at 22" and measures .590" at the muzzle
    Remington Ti stock, barrel channel opened slightly
    Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x, Talley LW's
    Factory trigger & other parts
    All up, she weighs 7lbs, 1oz and balances just behind the front action screw.

I think it'll work....
    I gotta like it. In fact, I gotta like it a lot!

I'd prefer another inch or two on the Lilja (just my preference), but that's a killin' machine you've built there Dan.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

How many of them Lilja barrels have you owned Dan? Are they as great as I hear they are?

If I was building a rifle today, you pretty well defined it from caliber to details. Only thing I'd change for my own use is the scope. I'm more inclined to something like a 2x7, probably a compact. Absolutely no reflection on your own great choice there, however.

Is that weight with the scope? Nice lookin stick!!

I'm speaking out of turn, but the weight sounds right to me. I've got much the same rifle in 257 Roberts with a McMillan stock, and it comes in right at 7 with a 3x9 compact scope. The barrel walls are slightly heavier due to the smaller caliber, but that's offset with a stock that's probably a little lighter than the Remington.

Am I on course with my comparison, Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    How many of them Lilja barrels have you owned Dan? Are they as great as I hear they are?
    I've owned Krieger, Bartlein, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, and a couple of Pac-Nor barrels, but this is my first Lilja. I hope to get out shooting this weekend to see what she'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Is that weight with the scope?
    Yep, just a hair over 7# with the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Only thing I'd change for my own use is the scope. I'm more inclined to something like a 2x7, probably a compact.
    I just sold three rifles, so I had a spare 3.5-10x sitting around. I have a couple of 2-7's and 2.5-8's on other rifles and think highly of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm speaking out of turn, but the weight sounds right to me. I've got much the same rifle in 257 Roberts with a McMillan stock, and it comes in right at 7 with a 3x9 compact scope. The barrel walls are slightly heavier due to the smaller caliber, but that's offset with a stock that's probably a little lighter than the Remington.

Am I on course with my comparison, Dan?
    I don't own any McMillan Edge stocks (their really light ones), but I have/had several of their regular stocks, both painted and gel coat. The (B&C) Remington Ti stocks are lighter than all of my McMillans. I just plopped a short-action Ti on the scale, and it weighs 27oz. I weighed my McM's at one time, but I don't remember what they were.

I have a short-action .25-284 built with pretty similar specs. The quarter-bore wears a mtn rifle contour Pac-Nor barrel, chopped at 23" (.565" at the muzzle). It weighs right at 7# with a VX-II 3-9x. It's the bottom rifle:

For comparison, my factory Ti in 7mm-08 weighs about 6.25# with a Leupold 2-7x.

The (B&C) Remington Ti stocks are lighter than all of my McMillans. I just plopped a short-action Ti on the scale, and it weighs 27oz. I weighed my McM's at one time, but I don't remember what they were.
    Are the B&C Remington Ti stocks different than one of their regurlar models (Carbelite or Medalist)?

I've handled one of those Ti rifles and LOVED the feel of the stock and would like to have one.

Very Sweet for sure, I love the .280 and the 280AI has tempted me more than once. I keep thinking though is it enough of an advantage to go to the effort over the std 280? I dunno???
    I have to question chopping down to 22in as it seems you are giving up too much top end performance which is what the AI was meant to offer?
    I have 26in on my 280's and they handle great!
    Not running your outfit down for sure - its a beauty!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

evandailey, yes, the Ti stocks are different, and much better in my opinion, than the other B&C models that I've handled. They pop up frequently on the various outdoor forums classifieds as take-off stocks. You can also buy them from places like Stocky's.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Keep us posted on how it shoots.
    Here is the best group I was able to shoot with it today:

It's a 5-shot group at 100 yards; 139gr GMX (blems) & RL22 in a Nosler .280AI case. The flier was the first shot.

Here is the best group I was able to shoot with it today:

It's a 5-shot group at 100 yards; 139gr GMX (blems) & RL22 in a Nosler .280AI case. The flier was the first shot.
    What's not to love?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

here are a couple of mine ( top remington is 30-06 ai) ( bottom remington is .280ai). my .280 will duplicate 7mm magnum velocities up to 160gr. and is very accurate. i am using a 25" number 4 fluted lilja barrel. a timney trigger @ 2.5#, mcmillan stock and 4X nikon monarch scope make up the package. trailside it weighs just under 8# with scope and sling.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i am using a 25" number 4 fluted lilja barrel. a timney trigger @ 2.5#, mcmillan stock and 4X nikon monarch scope make up the package. trailside it weighs just under 8# with scope and sling.
    Nice! My previous .280AI was pretty similar to yours. I had a 25-1/2" fluted #5 Hart, McM Sporter, and steel Williams BDL bottom metal. Mine was about a pound heavier than yours, though, which I wasn't wild about. But, it was crazy accurate.

Very nice package, nive group too. Did you only run one recipe down range or a few. Either way day one group was very good. Throw out the flyer and your better than .5 moa, hard to ask for better than that in a hunting rifle.

I just picked up an Edge for my carbon RUM, haven't put it togther yet but it feels a ton lighter than the stock it's replacing. I haven't handled the Remington Ti stock but it looks nice.

Nice looking (and shooting) rifle and its just what you wanted from start to finish. I own several barrels from Dan Lillja and they are all outstanding (257WBY, 30-06, 338-06, and 375H&H).

I would say that'll do the job nicely. Congratulations on a job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Did you only run one recipe down range or a few.
    I'm running moly-coated bullets, so I loaded 25 rounds of a previous favorite .280AI load (140NBT's) to get things started. Accuracy was less than 2" for the first 15 rounds out of the rifle, with the last 5 being about an inch.

I loaded five different powder charges with the 139's, to see what they'd do. I'd never shot the GMX's before, but I picked up a bunch on the cheap (MidSouth blems) so I figured I'd give 'em go. I have a bunch more GMX's to play with, along with a fair stash TSX's, and I'm anxious to try the 162gr A-Max's as well. I've had good luck in the accuracy department with RL-17 in my other .280AI, but I didn't get any velocity numbers. I plan to revisit some of these combinations with this rifle, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I just picked up an Edge for my carbon RUM, haven't put it togther yet but it feels a ton lighter than the stock it's replacing. I haven't handled the Remington Ti stock but it looks nice.
    I've never run an Edge stock, and to my knowledge, I've never had the chance to even handle one. I've got several Ti-stocked rifles in the stable, so I might have to try an Edge sometime to increase the diversity around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast