Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of Help!! (Nor-Vise users, please respond...)

Exclamation In need of Help!! (Nor-Vise users, please respond...)

Dear fellow forum members... I come to you in dire need of help - I am on the verge of spending some of my hard earned hundos on a Nor-Vise.

So with that in mind -

What DON'T you like about the Nor-Vise?

Why SHOULDN'T someone buy one?

Is it WORTH the money? Did it revolutionize and revitalize your fly-tying?

A little about my situation - I probably tie 2 or 3 times a week, strictly for fun.
    I can afford to spend the money, but there are arguably more practical things to put it towards. I understand the concept of only buying what you can afford ;-)

Note: If you are not familiar with the Nor-Vise, then I want you to feel my pain - Misery loves company: http://www.nor-vise.com/nor-vise-videos.html

P.S. I would like to thank George Riddle for allowing me to see the vise in action... I'm telling my Fiance' on you!!

I guess the only thing I have found is portability. With the table needed for the vise and post it makes traveling with the nor-vise difficult. Norm has solved this with a travel case that looks like wood brief case. You have seen how I travel with mine in the tote. I solved the travel issue from the lodge by getting two vises. I was lucky in that Norm came to the lodge and I traded some guide days for each vise.

I have seen what you can tie and you got great skills and your products are great. This vise will not make you tie better flies but with the learning curve and the bobbin handled you will be able to tie faster. You might think about seeing what kind of deal you can get at the sportsmans show in April. Norm is usually there and watching him is great learning and entertaining times.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    I guess the only thing I have found is portability. With the table needed for the vise and post it makes traveling with the nor-vise difficult. Norm has solved this with a travel case that looks like wood brief case. You have seen how I travel with mine in the tote. I solved the travel issue from the lodge by getting two vises. I was lucky in that Norm came to the lodge and I traded some guide days for each vise.

I have seen what you can tie and you got great skills and your products are great. This vise will not make you tie better flies but with the learning curve and the bobbin handled you will be able to tie faster. You might think about seeing what kind of deal you can get at the sportsmans show in April. Norm is usually there and watching him is great learning and entertaining times.
    I bought mine at the sportsmans show, I hadn't ever tied a fly before hand, I like mine, I'm still learning a lot and still fussing around trying to get things to work right, but for chenille and hackle and especially dubbing, its awesome, you can really crank out the flies fast.

I don't own a Nor vice, although they look really slick!
    The depth of experience & wisdom on this forum is hard to beat, but if you want a little more breadth (though probably no more depth) you might ask the same question here.
    http://flytyingforum.com/
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I like mine for dubbing bodies but that is about it. I know George has devised a away to tie articulated flies with his but this is where I don't care for it at all, I find it easier to tie articulated flies on a standard rotory vise was more effective for my style. Just my .02
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Price seems fair; not that expensive as far as equipment goes. It seems to do many things faster, and some much easier, than a conventional vice. I have seen it demo'd at fish shows, and used by some tyers to make very impressive fast work with it.

Quite the toy.

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    I like mine for dubbing bodies but that is about it. I know George has devised a away to tie articulated flies with his but this is where I don't care for it at all, I find it easier to tie articulated flies on a standard rotory vise was more effective for my style. Just my .02

I hear you there, I just tie off the front hook to the thread post or drop the trailer hook through the jaws and hold it there with a rubberband.

You loose the "spinner" advantage though once you tie off the front hook to anything.

Default Nor-Vise pros and cons

I've been tying since I was seven (I'm 46 now). I spent most of those years tying on a Regal C-clamp model which I still own, but haven't actually used since I bought the Nor-Vise 3 years ago. That's saying something.

Pros:

building base wrap of thread--very fast
    wrapping dubbing, chenille etc on med to lg flies
    holds a hook as good as my Regal, or better
    can crank out dubbing brushes very rapidly
    can crank out marabou brushes very rapidly
    the auto-bobbin really speeds things up if you tie a lot of flies
    can add different jaws for tube flies, small flies
    you can make some flies incredibly durable and better performing, and do it quickly
    ex: make a dubing brush our of flesh colored rabbit and use this instead of a rabbit strip; you get the full effect, but you don't have the weight of the waterlogged rabbit strip; therefore easier casting; less bulk to impede hooking fish, plus since the rabbit is spun in copper wire, it is very, very durable compared to the orignial flesh fly that uses a strip of rabbit hide

Cons
    The standard jaws are too big for small nymphs and dries
    putting the hook in just right takes practice
    with the midge jaws, you must adjust, then tighten the jaws to keep them from moving

I have to say that for some techniques I do not use the rotary function at all, for instance, palmering marabou. I have to sweep and adjust fibers as I do this, and I can'd do this if I just spin the vise. These are just some quick thoughts. I hope they are helpful.

Cube,

Remind me just before the next time we tie and I will do some articulating flies. I do have a way of not loosing the spinning part of the Nor-Vise.

Thanks for your input everyone... I'm pretty much sold, but I may wait until after Christmas to see what Santa brings me. (Not that "Santa" and I don't have share the same income :-P)

Thanks again!!

the Nor Vice is amazing, I love it, I also have a renzetti traveller for travelling and constantly miss the nor vice.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

OOPS!!

I made a 'best offer' using E-bay's Buy it Now system of $300.00 for a nor-vise and automatic bobbin kit. I thought for sure they would decline the offer, but it was accepted... My nor-vise will be here shortly, and I feel vindicated about the expense since I can hardly be held responsible for an accident like this!

Christmas came early this year!!

Yippee, Skippee. Hope it will be here for this Sat. tie in...

George

I guess the only thing I have found is portability. With the table needed for the vise and post it makes traveling with the nor-vise difficult. Norm has solved this with a travel case that looks like wood brief case. You have seen how I travel with mine in the tote...
    That wood case is slick. Aside from that, I agree the portability isn't great.
    I have a Griffin 2A that's hard to beat for portability. No one probably NEEDS a NorVise.

On the other hand, after weaving peacock herl into chenille for Prince Nymphs for a season, winding
    the herl on by 1-wrap at a time seems so slow now. NorVise technique makes the herl (chenille) stronger too.
    For the other tricks Charholio posted too, the NorVise can really crank the flies out.
    Spinning out herl-chenille makes Prince Nymphs fun and efficient when tying up a bunch.

Me too George! But either way, I should still be there this weekend.

I do a bit of woodworking here in my shop and plan on coming up with my own board/fly bench/travel system... Mostly just another goof ball project of mine, but such are the things that make life great.

Fly tying you say?????????? Nor-Vise????????? Man to rich for me! Cube shouldn't you be snowboarding???? LOL
    You still meeting at 3 rivers??????

yep, 3 Rivers 9ish to 11 ish and I will be doing articulated on the Nor-Vise.

George

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Fly tying you say?????????? Nor-Vise????????? Man to rich for me! Cube shouldn't you be snowboarding???? LOL
    You still meeting at 3 rivers??????
    Yeah I should be... I don't live as close to Alyeska as I used to anymore, but that is no excuse.
    The fiancée has to work all weekend, but then next weekend we are going to try and make it down there (she's the only female I've ever 'boarded with that can keep up with me.)

I just got the ship notification of my vise today - It's going to be a close shave to have it here by Saturday... Keeping my fingers crossed!

yep, 3 Rivers 9ish to 11 ish and I will be doing articulated on the Nor-Vise.

George
    Well, I had to miss the get together yesterday morning in the name of going to the post office in Anchorage (I live in the valley) to pick up my vise.... Long story, short, it got stuck there in Anchorage. After that though I pretty much spent all day and night in front of it - I'm hooked (no pun intended) - this thing is awesome.

Cube,
    There is always next weekend. Glad you are loving it....

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast