Thread: Minto flats by paddling

Default Minto flats by paddling

I was looking at my map, and I got to wondering...could someone paddle to the Minto Flats from the junction of the Elliott and Dalton Highways? I haven't been there yet, but it looks like you could park a vehicle at one of a few spots and put in to one of the 3-4 creeks draining the watershed that eventually makes its way to the Tolovana River. Looks like there's endless possibilities for good pike fishing.

I know I've heard stories of guys' vehicles getting roughed up or broken into when they park in or near a Native village around that area. Would that be the town Minto that they are talking about? You would think you could park in Minto and put in for a few days of paddling and fishing, but I'm trying to not get my truck messed up. Any thoughts or comments??
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I floated that stretch a couple of times back in the mid seventies with a 19 foot Gruman canoe. We put in at the middle fork bridge. It is pretty shallow until you hit the main Tolovana but it is a very short distance until you do so. Lots of high banks and very slow water with no hazards. We would get dropped off and picked up but you could pay someone in Minto a few bucks to keep and eye on your car too. That way you can drop a vehicle off in Minto and drive back to the middle fork to start your float trip.

what middle fork are you talking about? You have me interested in this trip

Unhappy

Sorry about the error concerning the Middle Fork. I meant to say the West Fork of the Tolovana. It is the bridge you cross on the Elliot shortly after crossing over the pipeline.

Default used to be....

... a small grocery store on the West Fork. We parked there and hitched a ride back from Minto. Also in the 70's. Now? Dunno. The trip was just as described; lots of paddling, very high banks, good pike..... back then....