Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Bullet Suggestions for Big Black Bears

Default 7mm Bullet Suggestions for Big Black Bears

Buddy is planning on using a 7mm mag for SE black bears. I've never used the caliber for game larger than deer. Would a 160gr NP or TBBC be sufficient or should I tell him to opt for the 175gr TBBC or something similar?

RW

All will work fine if placed correctly.

I agree, so many people worry to much about bullet size. I shot a nice black bear this year with my single shot .223 62grain FMJ and it did go 15 feet. It's all about making a good shot.

Reloading 160 grain controlled expansion bullets like the Barnes, Partition, A frame, etc. Factory my first choice is the Winchester XP3 160 Grain Failsafe, followed by the Federals with Barnes or Partition.

160g is plenty for black bear; and it will carry plenty of energy fired from a 7mm mag.

I used 175gr factory Winchesters 2 years ago and the bear just fell backwards... other hunters I was with
    that used the 7 mag was using 160's with good results also.

I would shoot whatever is the most accurate in the gun. I particularly like the Accubond, and I don't think that a couple of grains difference really matters. I have seen pretty awesome performance with Berger VLD "Hunting" in 168 gr. in 7MM.

Anything over 150 grains is more than enough. I have shot numerous black bears with 150 soft points and 160TBBC's with no issues except the cheap soft point fragmenting more than I would like. The bear still went less than 30 yards. I also had a 6.5 Ft brooks range griz charge and ended up shooting him in the chest at 30 yards with a 160grain TBBC. The bullet was found lodged between the skin and the meat of the hind quarter. So I am a believer in the effectiveness of this caliber and bullet.

I like the 160gr Barnes XLC for Black Bears, out of my Kimber Montana 7wsm. I'm sure a TSX would work just as well.

gotta go with 270 on this one, barnes all the way

I've watched plenty of elk fall to one round of 7mag using the 160gr Nosler Partition. And after watching my Dad shoot a 7ft interior grizzly with one this fall I would have to recommend the 160gr Partition. Noslers aren't usually my favorite bullet but it's hard to argue with results like those.

I have been using the 175 gr TBBC factory federal. My Ruger doesn't shoot the 160 gr as well as the 175. I like partitions as well but think the TBBC holds together a little better, imo.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd like to throw another question in here, hoping nobody minds.

What about using 160 grain Nosler Partitions, in 7 Mag. on BROWN bear?

I don't hunt bears, but I watch out for them, when I'm hunting Caribou, for example.

I always loaded 160 NPs in my 7 Mag. in case I had to defend against an aggressive Grizzly.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had an encounter with a somewhat aggressive brownie, 160 grain failsafe's changed his attitude quickly, 2 of them in the heart/lung area. recovered both rounds stuck in the hide on the exit side, expanded perfectly broke some ribs and destroyed all organs, apxx 150yd shot's. Squared 8' 6" / 25" skull. Although If I knew I would have been shooting a bear that day I definatly would have had my 375.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good shootin, Loomis:

Now, all I gotta do is learn to shoot like that.

I shoot off-hand a LOT.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up

The 160gr Fail Safe would be excellent along with the 160gr Barnes TTSX.......as well as the Federal Trophy Tipped 160gr.
    all high % retention weight bullets!

In my 7mm WSM really like the 160gr Fail Safe with H4831SC.

Bergers really like the accuracy but on dangerous game the jury is still out!
    Alaska

Berger..they will take down dangerous game. Expensive and a according to Superior Ammo and the TV Show "Best of the West" they swear by them, even in 7mm. I have access to one of their Long Range Shooting Systems..and it drives tacks at 300+ with the Bergers. I know Brown, Black, sheep and goats have fallen to this rifle in 7mm.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Berger..they will take down dangerous game. Expensive and a according to Superior Ammo and the TV Show "Best of the West" they swear by them, even in 7mm. I have access to one of their Long Range Shooting Systems..and it drives tacks at 300+ with the Bergers. I know Brown, Black, sheep and goats have fallen to this rifle in 7mm.
    Hey I saw that show last night. Can't say that I agree with taking shots at moose and sheep at 900+ yards however. As the show went on one of the shooters was showing how fast their shooting system was compared to another and he had issues with a 600 yard shot I believe. I would like to see some of the footage taken out of these shows. At these distances there is such a huge margin for error. As well they compared the 7mm Berger bullet ballistics to a .300RUM. Berger makes some great products though a larger .30 caliber bullet in the same weight of the 7mm is not fair comparrison. Naturally the 7mm will have a better bc and better extreme long range performance however load the .300RUM with a heavier grain bullet and then see what happens. Just my opinion.

John

I personally would be very concerned if the need arose to shoot a bear, be it black or brown, at close range with a Berger bullet. Hunting bears in southeast could make this scenario very likely. Berger bullets (even their "hunting" bullets) have a farely thin jacket and are not tough enough for high velocity impacts (in which a 7 mag would produce in the brush or the timber if the the first shot out on the beach didn't work out as intended). They are intended for long range shooting (as shown on their television show) where impact velocities have dropped down a bit (more than likely in the low to mid 2000 fps range). I believe Bergers are great bullets if left for their intended purpose. They have some of the highest ballistic coefficients out there and are manufactured in such a way that ensures accuracy. Nonetheless, they are best left at home if the possibility could arise that close range action is possible with an animal that can bite you back. I would take a 7 mag bear hunting in southeast without a second thought, but I would shoot heavy for caliber bullets. I personally would shoot 175 grain A-Frames or Kodiaks. I don't think you could go wrong with a 175 grain Partition either. There is a lot to be said for a little bigger and slower when it comes to angry carnivores. With that said, a 175 in a 7 mag will still have good enough ballistics to anchor any bruin at reasonable hunting ranges.

That explains why these guys on this "Best of the west" show like them so much. At about 800 yards or so the velocity and energy has bled off greatly. Do these Berger bullets just come appart or explode when used at close ranges? And I would guess that anything under 200 yards would likely cause a bullet failure. Either way I am still not an advocate of taking a 800 or 900 yard shot at any Alaskan big game animal. Just my opinion.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast