Thread: wooldridge alaskan

Default wooldridge alaskan

I have a 05 alaskan , I was told you can't tow it with the top up. I figured one of you guys have input on this, thanks

I think you'll find with any canvas top (which I assume is what you're talking about), you CAN tow with them up, but they will wear out faster if you do. Pick your battle: deal with putting it up and down every time, or having to repair and replace more often. I chose the latter battle.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

It's a pain to zip in the sides and back when they are cold, see allot of other boats towing with the top up, never any wooldridges though

I would think your towing speed would weigh pretty heavily on it too. If you are a 60-65mph cruiser you will probably be fine. But if you are a break neck weekend warrior trying to haul butt to the river Friday after work to fish all day sat/sun and run 75+mph the whole way then it probably won't last long at all. I tend to keep my top down and covered.

Quote Originally Posted by cmud View Post
    It's a pain to zip in the sides and back when they are cold, see allot of other boats towing with the top up, never any wooldridges though
    So carry them inside the truck in a duffle bag on cool days. Been doing it with mine for years, and even with very tight fit/tolerances works great. Towing with it up only trashes it and it's not worth the $1500 +/- to beat it up.

I tow my 20ft Sport with the soft top and slant back cover on every time, never had even a small problem.
    My tow vehicle is full size van so it passes a lot of the air over the boat instead of straight at the the boat.
    The slant back probably streamlines the airflow over the back of the boat thereby reducing flapping of the back curtain that would happen without it. Anyway, several years, zero problems. I did a past post that shows how I modified my slant back so that it can be unzipped, folded and stored along the back of the top of the main cabin canopy neatly out of the way when on the water.

I have been drooling over that slant back pic for a while! With that setup and a couple cots overnights for me and a buddy would be too easy! I would definitely like to see how it is designed to fold up out of the way.

Mine is topless so I just tow and go.
    I would like a nice top, though, and probobly wouldn't tow with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have been drooling over that slant back pic for a while! With that setup and a couple cots overnights for me and a buddy would be too easy! I would definitely like to see how it is designed to fold up out of the way.
    I have an 2005 Alaskan II has been towed all over the state with the top up. Still has the same top it came with, I also have a mooring cover that covers from the top to the transom.

Lujon, I used mine to run and gun in PWS. 2 guys on cots, sleeping where you are when it gets dark. Must say it was tight in my 21 fter.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve,

I have never done the salt, honestly I don't know if my 17'6" narrow hull wooly is up to the task. Since you have quite a bit more time out there do you think it is doable? If so it may be worthwhile to find another lil boat guy and do some exploring next summer.