Thread: Ice Build-up On Boat Drain Plug

Default Ice Build-up On Boat Drain Plug

Due to recent weather of rain and freezing I examined the boat hull of my 20' SeaArk out in the weather and found the ice was preventing the water from draining. So I cleaned the ice with an long screw driver and it wasn't enough to loosen the ice so I found a tire iron and broke the ice free and drained what appeared to be 25 or so gallons of standing water. I just wanted to post this to alert any one else to check their equipment for standing water and prevent any ice related damage to the boat hull as I did...

Happy Holidays!

This can also be a problem with scuppers if they get iced up and the boat is kept upcovered. One big piece of ice in the spring and who knows how much weight.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    This can also be a problem with scuppers if they get iced up and the boat is kept upcovered. One big piece of ice in the spring and who knows how much weight.
    not to mention... that a winters worth of snow and ice will melt before the drains thaw out.. and leave your engine compartment full of water and can cause serious engine damage. (out boards excluded)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Oh sure.

Us outboard are ALWAYS excluded.

Begining to think we ain't liked....

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

You could rig up some heat tapes for occasions like this

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Oh sure.

Us outboard are ALWAYS excluded.

Begining to think we ain't liked....

Aw mutt we dig ya. Just remember when you store your boat for the winter make sure your outboard and kicker are in the down position so water doesn't run in the exhaust ports and freeze...NOT GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    You could rig up some heat tapes for occasions like this
    Ditto.....good idea!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Aw mutt we dig ya. Just remember when you store your boat for the winter make sure your outboard and kicker are in the down position so water doesn't run in the exhaust ports and freeze...NOT GOOD
    Yea I know.
    a buddy let his Honda sit in the raised position. It actually popped his head gasket (thankfully thats all it popped.I did straight edge it and it didn't seem warped but it wasn't milled afterwards.)

I run mine with rv antifreeze once the thremostat opens and then still store in in the down position. 14000.00 outboard would break my right now.

Plus I dump the left over rv stuff into the fishwells and bilge and run the pumps till they run nice and pink. I usually run through 10 gallons of the stuff. But well worth the cost for the piece of mind.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1