Thread: Travel trailer advice

Default Travel trailer advice

Okay, first want to thank those who chimed in their advice/opinions on questions regarding pickup campers.

After further thought, I'm thinking a 20-25 used travel trailer may be a better option for the following reasons:

1. more space (accomodates more people, storage space, comfort)

2. seems to be a simple operation to "park & leave" compared to a cabover

3. a little more self-sufficient/self-contained (thinking larger propane tanks, water tanks, etc.)

Of course a big factor is a place to park it and it looks probable that I've got use of a friend's lot for that.
    I'd appreciate any comments from those who've had these trailers and/or campers on the pro's/con's of each.
    Also, curious how these are typically heated and what about power? Seems like to run a microwave or other electric stuff you'd need a generator of some sort or can battery power run the electrical items? I think the refrigerators, stoves, heat would be run on propane?
    Thanks---Jim

It really depends on what you want to do with it. A travel trailer makes it really hard to tow a boat. There are toy haulers that will allow you to take a couple wheelers or sleds but they are generally limited to only a pair of either. If I could find one that would hold 4 ATVs or sleds then it would work perfect for me and I would just tent or rent when we took the boat out. As it stands a cab over and a 27' toy enclosed trailer would have me hauling anything I own right now for winter or summer fun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It really depends on what you want to do with it. A travel trailer makes it really hard to tow a boat. There are toy haulers that will allow you to take a couple wheelers or sleds but they are generally limited to only a pair of either. If I could find one that would hold 4 ATVs or sleds then it would work perfect for me and I would just tent or rent when we took the boat out. As it stands a cab over and a 27' toy enclosed trailer would have me hauling anything I own right now for winter or summer fun.
    thats why real Alaskans have more then one truck.. and the wife knows how to drive it and tow stuff TOO!...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My thinking is that a trailer would pretty much be parked in mostly one location, really just a place to live for 3 week stints at a time. Although not out of the question in the future, I'm not currently interested in traveling around with the trailer, just park it and live in it.
    Keeping it on land in Sterling is centrally located to what I like to do while there; mostly fish reds on the Kenai and visit/fish with friends in Homer, Whittier, Seward.
    On the other hand, a cab-over would let me be pretty versatile and still pull a small boat and then the idea of having a place to crash while away to above places would be convenient.
    Yeah, having more than one truck would be great, in fact I had access to 3 but...