Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Fish?

Default Shooting Fish?

Okay, I just watched this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRJy...eature=related. In it the guide uses his pistol to shoot the fish that his clients are landing. This seems ridiculous to me.

1. Water is not a good surface to shoot at or so I've been told.

2. You could shoot the fish and the lure off at the same time. Doing so, a fish is killed and wasted. Ive seen this happen with a huge halibut.

3. It just gives the impression that alaskans are idiots.

Even though it worked out for this guy they were still bonking them with a stick. I guess I like the net method and sliced gills.

on a side note those were some nice kings!

wow seems like a real moron guide.
    Semper Fi!

Yea that's pretty rediculous to be shooting kings like that. I can see shooting big halibut, but shooting kings? C'mon....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I wonder if that is even legal.... I imagine Alaska Wildlife Trooper will figure that out soon enough.... Seems pretty stupid to me and an easy way to fatally injure the fish and have it get off the hook at the same time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wonder if that is even legal.... I imagine Alaska Wildlife Trooper will figure that out soon enough....
    Why? is there anywhere in the book it says HOW your supposed to kill a fish you have hooked? i suppose it could be an issue if it were C&R..or S&R in this case...

but lots of people shoot 40-50 lb halibut every year along with sharks, skates and other... i suspect that any real outrage or strong comment against ( i should maybe say) is due to IT"S a KING... and thus more worthy of a head beating and gill cutting then a bullet
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I kinda agree with Vince here. My only issue is discharging a firearm with others around. You never know where the projectile will end up. Unless he was using snake loads the possible ricoche (sp) from the water and the rocks is what would be concerning me.

Nice fish though.

George

No I was actually thinking more along the lines of when it is considered "harvested"? Is it at hookup? I can't get the fishing regs to download but I seem to recall different rules on salt water vs creek side. Which is why I asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Why? is there anywhere in the book it says HOW your supposed to kill a fish you have hooked? i suppose it could be an issue if it were C&R..or S&R in this case...

but lots of people shoot 40-50 lb halibut every year along with sharks, skates and other... i suspect that any real outrage or strong comment against ( i should maybe say) is due to IT"S a KING... and thus more worthy of a head beating and gill cutting then a bullet
    The difference between this and a halibut is that a halibut you are shooting straight down on it. THe kings in this situataion are at angle. And halibut are impossible to net. A true shooter halibut that is. but I dont think shooting fish is practical anyway. Maybe after they are harpooned. I was witness to a very nice halibut that was shot, but the shot also cut the leader. Never again. Harpoon and gaff.

Legal or not, I think this is about just looking dumb and acting dumb. IT just screems yayhoo. And the guides first comment as he passes the boats doesnt help his case either. "we'll just float past these guys, we like these guys".

Guidezilla? PUKE GO home guidezilla you reek

I hope people watch for this yellow boat and warn potential clients that want to hire them. If I was on the river I can assure you they wouldn't catch another fish wordup

"fullbush", buddy, the minute I viewed the video I thought about you. LOL. You shouldn't get so worked up over those idiots so early in the AM. They look like complete jerks. They should have whatever permits / licenses they have (if any) revoked.

He's what we call a Tinkerbell- right out of Walt Disney Productions.

Sad thing is, the complaints mount and finally laws are passed, laws that hem in all the rest of us right along with him. He moves on to sell used cars in Orlando, and we're left behind with stupid laws.

I'm sorry but I'm friggn incensed! I just watched it again and now I wanna Bi#ch-slap the bimbo that acts all cutesy and can't hold the slimy fish. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I watched it again and Zack kept his 1st fish and caught another one at the end? This video has been forwarded to CDFU, UFA, ADF&G in Cordova and Anchorage, the AHTNA Corporation and my niece who is a Trooper.
    Looks like CDFU is going to have to hire boats to patrol the Klutina and possibly deploy hydro acoustical gear in the holes the guides use. We'll activate the compressors when the guide boats show up and chase all the kings out. You see we can legally protect these kings its just gonna cost us a few bucks. Anybody w/ a jetboat will be eligible for a lucrative contract and you don't even need a 6-pack....more later

Guidezilla??

More like Guidebozo.

Go gettim fullbush.

ya i wanted to choke that bit^% the second i heard her voice! the guide looks like some rich whitey thinking hes rambo from the hillside.. everyone their needs a good *****kickin! cept the guy that helped the bimbo hold the fish at the end. he seemed like a straight shooter caught up in that circus of a guide operation. seems like they had no respect for the river/fish.
    Semper Fi!

Seriously???????? ***?????? That guy must not be from around here, I have never heard of any one shooting a king like that. And more importantly I can't imagine that is a good idea in 2 feet of water with rocks around. Guess they were to lazy to use a net????? Or maybe the net takes up to much room and he would have one less seat. And my last thought, some one should have told that bimbo to shut her mouth..............that is man time not tee hee hee look at me I want attention time!

I have heard rumors of a lodge/gunsmith that practices this. It looks like the lodge boat matches the one in the video. http://www.fishhuntalaska.com/ I have always just used a net.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ha - their add says that the Klutina is not crowded....they must not fish it when the kings are in.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Looks like CDFU is going to have to hire boats to patrol the Klutina and possibly deploy hydro acoustical gear in the holes the guides use. We'll activate the compressors when the guide boats show up and chase all the kings out. You see we can legally protect these kings its just gonna cost us a few bucks. Anybody w/ a jetboat will be eligible for a lucrative contract and you don't even need a 6-pack....more later

How is that legal?
    AS 16.05.790. Obstruction or Hindrance of Lawful Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, or Viewing of Fish or Game.

(a) Except as provided in (e) of this section, a person may not intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game by (1) placing one's self in a location in which human presence may alter the (A) behavior of the fish or game that another person is attempting to take or view; or (B) feasibility of taking or viewing fish or game by another person; or (2) creating a visual, aural, olfactory, or physical stimulus in order to alter the behavior of the fish or game that another person is attempting to take or view. (b) For purposes of (a) of this section, "lawful" means (1) in compliance with (A) this title, regulations adopted under this title, or applicable federal statutes and regulations; (B) the Marine Mammal Protection Act (P.L. 92-522) or the Endangered Species Act (P.L. 93-205); or (C) federal regulations adopted under 16 U.S.C. 3111 - 3126 relating to subsistence hunting, fishing, or trapping on federal land; and (2) with the permission of the private landowner if the hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game occurs on private land. (c) Notwithstanding AS 12.25, only a peace officer may arrest a person for violating this section. A peace officer who has probable cause to believe that a person has violated this section may arrest or cite the person or order the person to desist. (d) In a prosecution under this section, it is an affirmative defense that the person was lawfully entitled to obstruct or hinder the hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish or game. (e) This section does not apply to (1) lawful competitive practices among persons engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, or trapping; (2) actions taken on private property with the consent of the owner; or (3) the obstruction or hindrance of the viewing of fish or game by a person actively engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or trapping. (f) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both.

You hit it right on the money SpoiledOne. I watched this same type of video in the Wild West shop almost 20 years ago, with Jim shooting the fish. The guides aren't Jim, but it sure looks like his operation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast