Thread: crabbing by kayak

Default crabbing by kayak

anyone have first hand experience working crab pots with a kayak?

from the pictures of crab pots I have seen.. what is manageable on a kayak?

Donalson's up here has some foldable crab and shrimp pots. Would work well from a kayak. Ladner is the parent company that makes the traps. Donalson is a Sponsor on the forum too!!!

I've heard of Donalsons Company. Will make a note to check it out, thank you.

how about depths... is there much crabbing done close to shore?

I tried shrimping out of my kayak this summer with a folding shrimp pot from pot builder in Palmer. I didn't catch anything, but it was more of a learning experience. I rigged the pot up with 80 lb halibut cord and used a halibut jigging rod to drop it and reel back up. I have a cheap Walmart rod and reel so I think it would work much better with a higher quality set up. The drag was a little weak when I tried to reel everything back up. It took a bit to reel it back up in 250 ft of water. I have a Current Designs Extreme kayak, which was a little on the tipsy side without some added buoyancy. Its only about 21" wide at the cockpit. I have some inflatable sponsons that attach to the sides to add a little extra beam to the boat. I also had a friend hold my kayak for a little extra stability. Next year I'm going to invest in a better, bigger reel with more line capacity. It would be nice to be able to shrimp a little deeper and hopefully have better luck. It was fun though. It would be nice to be out kayak camping and have some fresh shrimp for dinner.

shrimp on the barbie.. on a camping trip - few things could be better ) I'm definately going to make it a go... I know there are a few of those fellas out there that have my name written on them...

for crab & shrimp pots, arn't they just lowered down and set with a float or small bouy for a few hours at a time? I don't see the need for a fishing pole

The pole is disconnected from the line and I hook on a buoy. The purpose of the pole it to make it easier to keep the line from tangling in my feet and to help crank it up off the bottom. I used a short section of line on the spool with a swivel at the end which connects to the rest of the line which is connected to the pot.

My wife and I used to crab successfully from our kayaks. We had a couple of the foldable pots with about thirty feet of weighted line tied to a bouy. When we pulled them up we would go bow to stern with our two kayaks and one of us would pull the pot up while the other held the kayak close to the other kayak. We would leave a hatch open on the persons kayak that was not pulling the pot up to put the crab in. It worked very well...

***duplicate post****
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    We would leave a hatch open on the persons kayak that was not pulling the pot up to put the crab in. It worked very well...
    Did the hatch open access to the cockpit? OUCH!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    My wife and I used to crab successfully from our kayaks. We had a couple of the foldable pots with about thirty feet of weighted line tied to a bouy. When we pulled them up we would go bow to stern with our two kayaks and one of us would pull the pot up while the other held the kayak close to the other kayak. We would leave a hatch open on the persons kayak that was not pulling the pot up to put the crab in. It worked very well...
    What kind of crab would you catch in that shallow of water?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Dungeness Crab.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    What kind of crab would you catch in that shallow of water?

Yup my first wife would get real crabby every time i went kayaking for the weekend.

Look for some crab snares. I have seen them on on ebay.
    Might be an option and it would attach directly to your halibut rod.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

if you buy some fishing line in the 1/4 LB spool an take it off an mix it up to have 1/4 LB bird nest, but bait in the middle then when the mess is reeled in the crabs will get caught in it you won't get a lot but it will work for supper this will work an it was legal the last time I looked it up, the bigger the nest the better off you will be

never heard of crab snares. wouldn't mind being armed with a few of 'em.

as for crab pots, are there places that rent them?

I remember back in the day... (in California.. early '70's).. we'd make crab nets out of chicken wire & bicycle rims... tie up some fish guts.. lower it off of a pier... and bring up a crab.... he no sooner saw the light of day before he disappeared in a pot of boiling water...