Thread: Spitfire vs. Firestorm - worth the price difference?

Default Spitfire vs. Firestorm - worth the price difference?

I've been looking on Foxpro's website comparing their callers, and it seems like these two are the ones I'd be interested in. I'm splitting the cost with my brother, so the Firestorm isn't cost prohibitive, but I'm wondering if the cost difference ($220) is worth it with regards to the features. It has two speakers, but it sounds like one is devoted specifically to low frequency sounds. The storage on the Firestorm is internal as opposed to a micro SD card, and the Firestorm has a 5 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year warranty. Other than that, they seem relatively similar. I guess my question is if there is anything about the Firestorm that would actually make a difference in the field. My share of the cost difference is only $110, so I don't mind ponying up the dough if it's worth it, but...is it? Does anyone have experience with any of Foxpro's more expensive calls that lead them to believe the extra cost is worth it compared to their less expensive models?

I have a FX3 .. they run about 400 and the two speakers is nice. it helps make are more realistic sound. Amazing for the bird/mouse sounds! Fox pro stands behind there product for sure.. I would have gone with the FX5 ( was the best at the time I got my FX3) but I went with the lower one to test it out and I can upgrade to a FX5 for a little more by sending it in. If money is not an issue I would go all out and get the best.. Lord knows it will last and you will be happy with it. I just need to find a place to give mine a work out.

I'm not opposed to paying more for a better product, but I want to be sure it's worth it. The spitfire is getting pretty good reviews, so what is it that the more expensive models do that make it worth the price difference (as in putting more animals in range)? The warranty is certainly a draw, but I also like that the spitfire uses half as many batteries.

The fx3 isn't available any longer. I'm assuming the Firestorm is the model that replaced it.

I have no first hand experience with either of the callers you mention but maybe I can help with my perspective.

The external antenna, 8 AA battery, extra warranty, dual speakers, and better remote of the firestorm are very appealing to me. The price is not, lol.

The firestorm reminds me of the older FX3 (but on steroids) which I had for a period of time and absolutely loved. The external antenna should will give you better remote range. 8 AA's will obviously give you longer battery life, and the programmable and recall buttons on the remote has proved useful with my caller. While calling with buddies I found the dual speakers beneficial. I could turn on both speakers, set to lower volumes and project my sound of choice in both directions. I believe this gave me a better chance to call in animals from all directions.

If you plan to set the caller at your side or close by on stands the spitfire, I'm sure, will do just fine. Maybe you only call every now and again and the features of the higher end caller aren't necessary. The cheaper caller would be on my list in either scenario.

Another caller I would not overlook is the scorpion. This is my second winter on the scorpion and I only have one thing bad to say about it, and that is the scorpion will eat the batteries much faster than the larger callers. I can blast the piss out of the scorpion for two solid all day calling trips and the batteries are done, compared to my FX3 I only changed the batteries twice a season. I just bought rechargables for my scorp and should lessen the pain of replacing the AA's. Pack-ability is this callers best feature. I can put the caller, remote, and all my calling gear in my fanny pack and head out on foot. No need to carry a bulky ecaller by hand when you have the scorpion. Throw it in a backpack along with a rifle and set out on a snowmachine for a days worth of calling. You won't even know you are carrying it on your back. The volume is exceptional for it's size too. I could go on and on, I just love this caller. You are more than welcome to borrow it or give it a try if you'd like.

I bought a spitfire last night after reading a thread on here got me. From the research I did on some predator forums it sounds like more sound storage capabilities, more presets, and more volume come with the more expensive models. On that allpredator.com that lujon made reference to you can get a refurbished fx3 and 32 sounds with the newer remote for $@230.

If you're going to jump for a Firestorm, spend another $80 and get the CS-24. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Plus, the CS-24 is the toughest game caller out there and will handle about anything your Alaskan calling adventures take you on.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/custom_shop/product_cs24.php

I only use one speaker for my calling, but can plug in a small external to the CS-24 if I wanted to mess with stereo sounds.

I was in between the scorpion and firestorm. Called foxpro and the rep was very helpfull, talked about the scorpion in open space might need extra speaker. Went with firestorm, and taked me into the jack attack as well and battery charger almost too helpfull. (military discount 10%)

Coincidentally I just got a Spitfire and I am pleased with it. I have not tried it in AK as I am out of state right now the the coyotes down here love it...

My only gripe so far is the volume on the locater howl is a little lacking. It works but if the wind is blowing it doesn't seem to carry very well. I haven't tried to download new sounds yet, that will be the next test.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by thayer the slayer View Post
    I was in between the scorpion and firestorm. Called foxpro and the rep was very helpfull, talked about the scorpion in open space might need extra speaker. Went with firestorm, and taked me into the jack attack as well and battery charger almost too helpfull. (military discount 10&#37
    So here we are a year later. How has it worked for you? I hope very well since I just ordered the same exact thing last weekend. Should be here on Oct. 25th.

Wildlife technologies has the best caller on the market. Check out their comparison with the fow pro on their web site. They have graphs that show sound waves we can't hear, and there is no comparison what so ever!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    If you're going to jump for a Firestorm, spend another $80 and get the CS-24. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Plus, the CS-24 is the toughest game caller out there and will handle about anything your Alaskan calling adventures take you on.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/custom_shop/product_cs24.php

I only use one speaker for my calling, but can plug in a small external to the CS-24 if I wanted to mess with stereo sounds.
    X100

If you are gonna get into the bigger money callers, then the cs-24 is the best. that said, the firestorm is a good caller but no frills.

What do you all think about the FOXBANG on some of the FoxPro's? Is it worth it and does it actually work as advertised?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

FoxBang works as advertised for sure. Up here, I rarely call double coyotes, so I guess it's not necessary, but very handy for a second chance shot if you miss a coyote. I have killed one that I missed and the FoxBang went off, causing the coyote to quickly stop and look back. Just enough time to get a kill shot. I used it down in the states though and it is a very handy tool to have.