Thread: Defective new brass

Default Defective new brass

Received my order of 100 Remington 444 Marlin brass. 20/100 are damaged at the case mouth. Some look salvageable, but others have the case mouth nearly smashed closed. Most are "oblong" at the mouth. Didn't bother to send them back to Cabela's as I want to get reloading and am content with 80+/- for now as its hard to find in town.

I'm going to re-size all the brass before I use it. Is it standard practice to re-size new brass, or is it just preference?

Tim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Received my order of 100 Remington 444 Marlin brass. 20/100 are damaged at the case mouth. Some look salvageable, but others have the case mouth nearly smashed closed. Most are "oblong" at the mouth. Didn't bother to send them back to Cabela's as I want to get reloading and am content with 80+/- for now as its hard to find in town.

I'm going to re-size all the brass before I use it. Is it standard practice to re-size new brass, or is it just preference?

Tim
    IME, Yes.

The necks on new brass are often bent out of shape, and you need to size them to straighten them. It's a good idea, anyway, I think.

After sizing, I check the Case Length, and trim if needed, so they are all the same.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I agree. I've had more Remington brass that was damaged and unuseable than any other. Sometimes a person is stuck using Remington though as others may not make the brass or out of stock, etc.

I just shipped back a bag (box) of 100 Remington 7mm Rem Mag cases to Midway. 65 out of the 100 had major dings just below the shoulder and were unusuable. I'm swapping them for the Winchester cases and hope for a better batch.

I too am going to resize and trim all my new cases for uniformity once I get the new cases and they pass inspection.

-Mack

Oblong case openings, dents, dings - all goes with ordering brass in bulk lots, but all still usable. I always carefully resize ALL bulk brass before initiating any reloading. Nosler brass is pretty much ready to reload straight "out of the box", as is brass packaged in standard 20 round ammo boxes .... but bulk brass is a bit different - buyers choice.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

If I threw out all brass that was dinged out of the bag, I'd be spending a LOT of money on brass. I FL size all new brass, to round the neck, as well as get a consistent shoulder setback. If there are dents in the case that are significant (but not affecting the structural integrity of the case), I just set it aside and use it for fouling shots. The pressure pushes the dent right back out. I also shoot semi-autos that can be a little rough on brass, and have not noticed an appreciable amount of accuracy loss or increase in SD with minor dinged up cases.

I will agree that Remington brass is too soft, and go exclusively with Winchester- best value for quality IMO

My last bag of 50 Win 300H&H had 2 with split necks. Dings and out of round necks are normal for bags of brass as the shippers aren't always the most carefull people in the world. I don't consider brass ready until it's been fire formed, trimmed, flash hole deburred and such anyway but the split necks I didn't like.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like rbuck says. It ain't ready til it's ready, which means, "until it's been fire formed, trimmed, flash hole deburred and such".

I use Rem. brass almost exclusively, but that could be cause I don't know no better. It's always worked for me, but I had a bad Win case one time, so they must be no good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I think about 10% of the bulk brass I get is throwaway. I even found a .300 RUM case with no primer hole punched! That would have made for an interesting moment.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Tim
    Don't know if you've tried this, yet, but for cases like you describe I take a sharpened wooden dowel and push/roll the worst lips back out, then carefully run them through the resizing die with plenty of lube inside the case mouth. That usually does the trick. I've even done this with pretty dinged up 223 brass that I've picked up at the range.

Dave

I was out at Cabelas' site and Midway looking at bulk Rem and Win brass, It seems lot's of folks are complaining about the lack of QC and damaged brass, just look at the reviews.

Mountaintrekker

Initial brass prep is a normal procedure when using bulk brass.

Dented cases and deformed necks does not indicate defective brass. Brass is a malleable metal. This is an attribute not an issue of quality. To minimize cost Remington & Winchester package their brass in bulk bags or boxes and this does not protect it from incidental dings. This is not a reflection on QC at either manufacturer nor of the inherent quality of the lots of brass in question. I've been loading for many years and bought tens of thousands of brass cases in bulk. I doubt I've discarded 1 case in a 1000 due to the issues discussed here. There are numerous ways to straighten necks for proper loading and after a single firing the cosmetic issues will be gone.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Initial brass prep is a normal procedure when using bulk brass.
    Thats why I try to use Norma and Lapua brass...prep is load 'em and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Thats why I try to use Norma and Lapua brass...prep is load 'em and shoot
    My experience with Lapua, like yours, has been load'em and shoot; Norma has been less friendly. For example I just received a box of 100 count 340 Weatherby cases from Norma and the necks needed a little massaging before the first loading. Of course the damage probably came after MidwayUSA broke their original shipment into smaller packages (loose in a cardboard box) for resale. FWIW, I never considered it an issue and I am not complaining about Norma's QC. IME it is simply a product of getting a break price buying in bulk--saving several $ in exchange for a few dents seems a fair trade. YMMV...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.