Thread: Icy conditions technique

Default Icy conditions technique

Ok, I know this is going to sound stupid, but hear me out. Today, went to move airplane back into my parking spot from turning it around from the heavy wind a week or so ago. It was slick as HE double hockey stick, and nothing was working for traction while trying to push it, problably had to move it 50 yards. Now, I do have 31 bush wheels, so may not apply to small tires. But the son said dad how about walking on the tires like when your refueling. I said ok, got nothing to loose, and boy it worked like a dream, and had plenty of traction on them. Now please dont sue me if you fall,

Terry

Neat idea. Did it take two people so you did not go in circles?
    My balance is so bad these days I would probably fall off well before I got anything to move.
    Two pairs of my favorite winter boots have those springy ice grippers strapped onto them for the duration of winter.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My answer to that wld be a used set of crampons for your boots. Work great.

I've got a set of Icebugs that I use - you can walk on anything with them. Made by a Swedish manufacturer with tungsten cleats built into the soles, I think we got them at Skinny Raven for about a hundred bucks. Far cheaper than a visit to the ER, and they're comfortable too.

http://www.garmontusa.com/icebug.html

Cheers,

John

Barney's sells these. I have a couple of different slip-over cleats for icy walking but these are the best I've tried. Wife is a winter runner and the past two days haven't slowed her down at all with these on.
    http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

For moving the plane I keep a rope in the truck and enjoy those tow hooks Chevy put on the front. Wheel skis and tail skis both suck for pushing the plane backwards.Tie the tailwheel to the front bumper hook and I can maneuver the plane very accurately. On straight skis those boot cleats are mandatory for horsing the plane around on slick ice.

Default Movoing the plae with auto/truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Barney's sells these. I have a couple of different slip-over cleats for icy walking but these are the best I've tried. Wife is a winter runner and the past two days haven't slowed her down at all with these on.
    http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

For moving the plane I keep a rope in the truck and enjoy those tow hooks Chevy put on the front. Wheel skis and tail skis both suck for pushing the plane backwards.Tie the tailwheel to the front bumper hook and I can maneuver the plane very accurately. On straight skis those boot cleats are mandatory for horsing the plane around on slick ice.
    PID - I plan to move mine to a hanger for some minor work I'll do. Think towing the plane backwards by the tailwheel hooked to the rear receiver will work ok?

Rick

Pulling the plane with a truck is pretty common. How to authorize a truck on Merrill taxiways isn't something I'm familiar with, though. The only advice I can give is that I prefer a shortish rope. The tail will stray and you want to limit it's leash. But, the truck will stop faster than the plane so go gentle on the brakes. I prefer a buddy to drive and I walk with the plane to keep things under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Pulling the plane with a truck is pretty common. How to authorize a truck on Merrill taxiways isn't something I'm familiar with, though. The only advice I can give is that I prefer a shortish rope. The tail will stray and you want to limit it's leash. But, the truck will stop faster than the plane so go gentle on the brakes. I prefer a buddy to drive and I walk with the plane to keep things under control.
    Yeah was gonna try and have a doger walk along. Will be using a towing bar so aught to be pretty safe.

thanks

When I moved the plane on Merrill with my truck I had to have a flashing yellow light on top and a hand held radio to the tower in the truck. Calling ground to authorize the move is all I then had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    When I moved the plane on Merrill with my truck I had to have a flashing yellow light on top and a hand held radio to the tower in the truck. Calling ground to authorize the move is all I then had to do.
    k,

Yeah got that all squared away yesterday. No probs mate. Thanks