Thread: 62 Caliber Smoothbore

Default 62 Caliber Smoothbore

Last summer I came up with a Green Mountain drop-in barrel for a TC in 62 caliber smoothbore (same as a 20 gauge). I mounted it on a Renegade and did a fair bit of shooting with patched round balls. But recently I took off the rear sight and went to work at the pattern board with shot loads.

Holy cow! With my load (80 grains of Goex 2f and the same measure full of #6 shot, with a lubed Type A wad between them and a nicked overshot card) it yielded unbelievably smooth and dense patterns at 25 yards, in spite of no chokes.

Today I took it out for snowshoe hare, and I was selling it really short in patterning at 25 yards. The hares weren't holding and I was forced to take running shots at around 35 yards, and absolutely rolled both I shot at. Dressing showed one with 3 pellets in the body and the other with 5. Can't beat that, but I doubt I'd use it that far for ptarmigan and expect to connect regularly.

I'm headed back to the range ASAP to do some patterning at closer ranges and on out at 30, 35 and 40 yards just to get better acquainted with it. I'm sure the pattern is too dense at 25 and closer for dead-on holds, so I need to know where the edge is at closer ranges so I can fringe them and cut down on hits.

Just thought folks would like to know!

BrownBear:

I appreciate your range report, as you know, I'm awaiting delivery of my own 20ga Fowler so this is all very pertinent and informative for me. Thank you and sounds like you have a winner.
    Afflicted by condition human

You bet e45colt.

I've been comparing results with testing I did last year with a Brown Bess, and I'll have more to say after a couple of more shooting sessions. My GM barrel is indeed tight for a 62 at .610, compared to .615 or .620 for most others. That results in a really tight fit of that 62 cal Type A card- so tight I can't even start it with thumb pressure. Since the Type A is hard, it does a great job of "swabbing" the bore as I seat it so fouling build-up is less of a problem than I experienced with the Bess, or for that matter with my double 12 so many years ago.

But here's the part I want to test with the Bess when I get some more components. I was using softer 11 gauge base wads with the Bess, and I'm starting to suspect I was getting some gas leakage into the shot column that isn't happening in my 62. Whatever the explanation, I'm hypothesizing that the more open patterns with the Bess were due specifically to leakage. I'm going to get some slightly larger Type A's for the Bess to test for better patterns. If that bears out, I'd look to 19 gauge Type A's for a 62/20 made by someone other than GM if the mike showed it indeed had a little larger bore.

Here is the first page of the wad listings at TOW for you to ponder along those lines, if you're inclined.

Default another day

I managed to sneak back out for an hour this evening with a hunting pard. I decided to try a 75/25 blend of olive oil and beeswax on the base wad, soaked in the hot liquid for about 5 minutes and allowed to cool. Fouling wasn't a problem before, but this made seating subsequent loads even easier.

Oh yeah! I got both that I saw on the quick hunt, running at 25-30 yards. Flat rolled em! I had been planning to jug choke this barrel, but I don't think I'll bother.

rabbittwo32.jpg

Well done mmm bunny-stew.

Your powder horn looks like it's made from two different types of horn, is it?
    Afflicted by condition human

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Your powder horn looks like it's made from two different types of horn, is it?
    I just stained the front end, along the lines of some old ones I've seen in photos. I've got another one I'm working on that has a natural dark brown layer deeper than the outer white layer. That one is getting similar shaping treatment, but with no need to stain.

Call it justification for liking to make bags and horns, but I'm slowly making up one of each for every gun I own. Whatever the case, that sure makes it easier to keep things organized, while also helping avoid forgetting something or having to change powder as I switch from one gun to the next. Just grab the gun and "its" bag and horn, and I'm out the door.