Thread: How many people have their maps out?

Default How many people have their maps out?

Just wondering how many people have their maps out looking for the "hunting spot for next year"?
    It seems like every year towards the end of hunting season people post asking for help on harvesting a moose. I think from now till spring is almost as important to success as it is during moose season. I have several friends/co-workers asking for advice for moose hunting or asking me where I hunt. I tell everyone to break out there maps and do some scouting. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are? Maybe some of the ol' timers can put in some good info to help others and me ;-) Always in search of more knowledge when it comes to a hobby I love. And maybe for fun put how many moose you have harvested at the end. Lets keep it light hearted and fun though and no lying ha ha!!
    My moose count = 7. Biggest 56"

yep, been looking over the maps pretty regularly, I have a new spot picked out for the upcoming season, been thinking about this spot for several years, but haven't been there yet, it was confirmed by a friend that hunted it this year to be a pretty good spot. I have taken 3 moose, all in the same general area.

I got three spots I need to check out. First I need to check out land status, then if its still a go, I need to make the long drive there and log some miles on the snowmachine. To date I have bagged 2 moose..both tiny

Do all my hunting where I live so no map needed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I need to set up some game cameras so I know what is frequenting my area. Then I will know my next step.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

yeah the maps are always out! lol looking over the drawing permits and regulations, so i can put in for everything, some the same old spots and a few new ones i found more info on this year. I found a new moose spot or 2 this year, did some after season scouting and seen 5 bulls in there, good sign. not realy gana scout any new spots out by map I do mark spots on the maps that I found moose in or lots of sign, do the research, like access, land ownership, regulations and then if its still unclear talk the the biologist for the area, then hunt it if im in that area for that part of season, and havent taged out or draw a permit. Ive taken 2 moose in 3 years of residency, one 60 and the other a 48, with 3 brows, as well as 5 bou and 1 ram. I would say that luck, timeing, research and of coarse skill, lol, all contribute to my sucsess.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Do all my hunting where I live so no map needed.
    What... in between bouts of Altzheimers?

That was for the Abe shot. ;->

I saw more bull moose this year than any other year while hunting the area we hunt. We usually pull 3 or 4 bulls out of the area and was very encouraged with what we saw this year. Not reason to change hunting spots........yet, though I know it will happen and for that reason I spend all spring/summer/fall looking for new moose and sheep areas while backpacking. Just getting out there and looking is the main thing. The map gives you an idea for sure and is a great way to select an area to explore. Just make sure you explore it more than from google earth or you could be in for a suprise come moose season opening.

Studying regs, permit supplement and maps diligently in anticipation of my first Alaska resident hunting season next fall.

For those who relocated to Alaska, can you remember the excitement buildup throughout your first year as you are restricted (financially anyway) to scouting and planning for your first hunt AFTER the 'big anniversary'?

does anybody have a source for decent aerial photos? the area i am thinking of is not covered by the good photography of google earth, just the fuzzy stuff.