Thread: My time for deer is getting closer

Default My time for deer is getting closer

For as many years as I can remember I have wanted to hunt deer in PWS but for one reason or another I have never been able to make the trip to the islands and hunt deer. Last year I did something I never thought I would do or could do I bought my own boat and was one step closer to closing in on that dream of hunting the sitka blacktail. I was planning on going opening day but that fell through and all attempts to get there this year so far have been washed away due to other circumstances. Finally as of right now everything is inline to finally make the trip down and my hopes are high. The gear is ready to go for my return home from work the tags have been picked up the hunting partners are ready to go, the boat is fueled and ready and the oversize permit has been paid. The only thing keeping me from those deer is the weather and as of right now the forcast is still good for a saturday 4am departure from the house. (But that weather change at a moments notice)
    My plan it to head to Knight island and hunt the northern part for a day or so and change my plans as needed from there. In my mind is the perfect hunt, great weather and flat water with at least one good buck I can put my scope on. But just to get there so far has been the battle so to finally step foot among the deer will be a great feeling no matter if the deer cooperate or not. This will also be the first time I have been able to hunt with my dad in several years.

To be continued and pics to follow...........

Good luck Tony. I wish we could run out with ya. But I'll be out of town for a week Bu as soon as I get back. We will be loomi g for that window as well. Looking forward to the great pics
    Rob

NE 15 seas 3 ft. That's as good as it gets this time of year. http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

Hope you have a marine radio for updates as getting out isn't the only thing to consider. Anchoring your boat and leaving it while you hunt, and getting home are big ones.

How big is your boat and how long are you planning to stay out?

Good luck! Hope you have a safe trip and find some of those fine eating deer.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    NE 15 seas 3 ft. That's as good as it gets this time of year. http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

Hope you have a marine radio for updates as getting out isn't the only thing to consider. Anchoring your boat and leaving it while you hunt, and getting home are big ones.

How big is your boat and how long are you planning to stay out?

Good luck! Hope you have a safe trip and find some of those fine eating deer.
    The boat is a 25' bayliner 2556 with all the electronics we wll only be out for 3 days but I am hoping to get out one more time with the wife in December. I just put a new antenna on the boat as the previous owner left it up and went under a power line taking about 3 ft off the top. It worked good this summer but I wanted to be able to get max range with the radio as there wont be many boats out and I dont want to take chances. The weather looks good all the way around but still waiting till later in the week to see what the forcast will bring for the time out.

good luck out there, I have done this hunt a couple times and it is a lot of fun. I havent been on north knight very much, but we did anchor up in upper herring bay for 3 days due to weather, it was blowing from the east 30-40, the mountains keep the waves from getting big, but the wind swung the boat on anchor pretty good and we werent on a real good bottom, the anchor drug some and kept me up all night once, nothing bad happened, but it was a real uneasy feeling.