Thread: first sea duck hunt of the new year

Default first sea duck hunt of the new year

004.jpgwent out and tried to get a few sea ducks... we found a few002.jpg

Looks good! The tides aren't very good for the flats this weekend, so I may switch over to sea ducks.

Erich

I've pretty much bagged my waterfowl hunting for the year....Just not feeling it as much...!

Hmmm... You should probably go see your doctor

Erich

More into the bowhunting thing...and work has been keeping me busy...worked over 23 hours of OT the past two weeks...

What is a sea duck and where do people hunt them? On the coasts, I presume??

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    There are several species of sea ducks: Surf Scoter, White Wing Scoter, Black Scoter, Harlequin and others. They are mostly on the coast, but it's not unheard of to find them on inland lakes some times.

Alaskafudge12 has Surf Scoters (black ones with orange and yellow bills plus all the brown ones) and a Harlequin (blue and white) in his pics above.

Erich

Sea ducks consist of various species of scoters (white wing, surf, and something else), harliquins, and golden eyes. In some areas you can also take pacific eiders, but the other eiders are protected or so far out to sea that you can't get to them.

Harliquins are in the rivers and mountain streams all summer nesting and rearing their young, and then move out to the rocky shorelines in late summer.

Scoters can be found in the early season on inland rivers and lakes - yukon, and tanana rivers - and sometimes out a the hayflats. In early fall they move out to the rocky shorelines.

Prince William sound and Homer area are the two closest spots to access them.

The other species of scoter you are thinking of is the common, aka black scoter. They are pure black with an orange bill. Don't forget about the long tails too. I have a hunt planned for december, long tails are on the top of the list.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I've pretty much bagged my waterfowl hunting for the year....Just not feeling it as much...!

not to mention we kicked the holy hell outta them the last time we went out

How do sea ducks taste compared to others?

I thought Goldies were not on the seaduck count?? I better check the regs on the way out when kwackillercrew and I on the road BFE in the morning....

We are going to do some slaying if the weather holds.

hap

Goldeneyes are NOT counted as seaducks... They are counted as regular ducks. Buffleheads are often found in salt and they do not count as seaducks either. Oldsquaw (longtails) are sea ducks.

Stellers and spectacled eiders are protected but common and king eiders are counted as seaducks.

Harlequins nest in mountain streams and some go way far inland to do it. After mating the males immediately head back to salt and leave the hens to brood and raise the young while they form huge flocks of bachelor birds in river deltas. The hens are fairly easy to find during the early duck seasons before they take the broods out to salt.

How do sea ducks taste compared to others?
    They are NOT rib-eye of the sky, that's for sure. They tend to be on the gamy side of ducks. Most guys save up their seasons harvest and make them into jerky or pepperoni.

Erich

If you have any recipes for coot, pigeon, or old roadkill, they should work just fine for scoters too.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by vermilion View Post
    not to mention we kicked the holy hell outta them the last time we went out
    Yes.....yes...we did!