Thread: Franklin Engines

Default Franklin Engines

Anyone have any experience or information on 220/215 HP Franklin engines, sorry don't have the model number.

Pro's/ Con's, the good and the bad? Someone mentioned that they we not as reliable as the Continentals or Lycomings. Any truth to this.

Thanks in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wldlndfirefghtr View Post
    Anyone have any experience or information on 220/215 HP Franklin engines, sorry don't have the model number.

Pro's/ Con's, the good and the bad? Someone mentioned that they we not as reliable as the Continentals or Lycomings. Any truth to this.

Thanks in Advance.
    My only experience with Franklin engines was with a 165-hp heavy case model. Operated it at a relatively high RPM as I recall it, but the engine served me exceedingly well in a Cessna 170.

Take a look at the International Stinson Club web site;

http://www.stinsonclub.org/new_site/

They have a correspondence page much like this one with lots of helpful folks. Quite a few Stinson drivers bought 220hp PZL Franklin engines when thew were being produced in Poland in the 1990's. Prat&Whitney bought PZL and shut down the piston engine production so they are no longer available and Franklins are again an orphan.

You might also try calling Lee Hoffman of Lee's Tube and Fabric in Fairbanks (Chena Marina). Lee is a Franklin engine guru.

Franklin engines, including the ones made in Poland, are good engines but with no factory support finding parts for overhaul is getting to be a problem. I heard that someone in the US was going to start making pistons and crankshafts for Franklins but I haven't kept up with the scuttlebutt recently.

Here is some info on the Franklins. It looks like the whole thing is for sale to bad someone wont pick it up and start producing them again.

http://www.franklinengines.com/

Thanks for the info, I'll start reading through those publications. The model I'm specifically interested in is a 6A-350-C2, the 220 HP. Haven't found too much online, just trying to find out if they have any major problems and are good reliable engines. It would be a bummer if they went out of business, be way hard to get parts I would imagine.

Tralika

Lee Hoffman in Fairbanks wouldn't happen to be "An older gentleman with lots of gray hair", would he?

Thanks

I don't think Lee is here anymore. Finding parts is getting hard for Franklins.
    Tim

Lee is an older gentleman, lots of white hair. I haven't spoken to him in 5 or 6 years, when you say he is not here anymore I hope you don't mean that he has passed on.

It turns out that PZL/P&W sold the Franklin engine line to another Polish company that is (at least trying) to put Franklin engines back into production. They advertise new engines, parts and overhauls. It looks like a different company than the one mentioned in the earlier post. The web site looks interesting but I'd do some checking before I sent any money to Poland for a new engine. I really don't see how they could compete with with TCM & Lycoming but who knows. Here's the link.

http://www.franklin-engines.com/

Don't think he went west, just left Fairbanks or quit working on planes. The Hangar he was in has changed hands. I haven't heard anyone talking about him in several years. Doesn't mean he isn't here somewhere, I just haven't heard what happened to him.
    Tim

I had a franklin 220 in a 172 i owned about 7 years ago, it was a lemon since i bought the plane, never run unleaded (or even mixed) or you will blow a jug and there will be a half dollar sized hole in the top of your piston.

I sold the plane and never looked back, a few friends i know have franklins in their planes and they dont like them any more then i do.

to add to this, parts - dont bother looking on the field....i had to contact a really old guy (not sure if his still alive) to get new jugs and engine parts. then the CO company but they would never answer their phones.....

Letsfly,

Thanks for the input, really good info. I figure if a company is selling or going out of business, that should be a flag for the reasons you mentioned. What was the tail number of the aircraft if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

N739SM

i had picked it up and flew it from Maine on Aqua 2200 floats, slower then a pig..105 mph with those fat floats

the engine was the worst though, always going thru parts and jugs, mainly jugs...that engine does NOT like anything other then 100LL, i donno where the plane is now though

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/121850.html

Cool

OF course, running lower octane mogas in a high compression engine that is not nor ever has been approved for it, had NOTHING to do with the destruction of cylinders

The Franklin is no more problematic or perfect than a Continental or Lycoming. Matter of fact the power to weight ratio of the 6A-350 is great. But yes it is hard to find some parts and for others you have to live with used serviceable replacements.