Thread: Blade sharpening....

Default Blade sharpening....

So I got out with my boys, and went to drill our first hole, and realized the blades on my auger were pretty dull. Took me a while to drill the hole. I would of quit were it not for the three little voices cheering me on! Anyway, where can I get my blades professionally sharpened here in Anchorage?

You got three choices that I know of. I have had the same problem many times. Option #1) Buy a $5.00 sharpener at Wal-mart. They work all right in a pinch, but will never sharpen the blades back to their original sharpness. Option #2) Take your blades to Able sharpening on the Parks Hwy north of Mile 49 before the Big lake turnoff. He does an alright job for a reasonable price. I want to say somewhere in the neighborhood of $10.00. Option #3) Buy one or two spare sets and keep them always handy. This is in my opinion is your best bet to always keep your blade sharp. Oh, and here is another tip. Never run your blade through someone else's old holes. That is surefire way to dull your blades in a hurry.

Option #4 is to send them into Fish307.com and use their blade exchange.
    http://www.fish307.com/augerbladeexchange.aspx

I have 3 sets of blades for my Strikemaster so that I always have spares just in case.

Two options......buy new or buy new.

Unless you are a sharpening guru, it's really difficult and hardly worth the effort to make them sharp again yourself, balance gets off and you just sit and spin. Buy a new set each year, and keep either a stone, or a extra set of blades with you incase you drill in 8 inches of water and bottom out in sand/ rocks

I've largely just p'd myself off when trying self sharpening in anything other than an emergency situation. It may save the day, but sharpening will largely not save you money or your season.

my .o2

Ill tell you whats gonna happen. You r going to go get a new set and say ur gonna send the old ones in for new at the end of the season. Then youll forget and buy some more next year...Happens all the time. Just ask my wife. You can also shim them so they grab more ice. This works great if u have the power to turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Ill tell you whats gonna happen. You r going to go get a new set and say ur gonna send the old ones in for new at the end of the season. Then youll forget and buy some more next year...Happens all the time. Just ask my wife. You can also shim them so they grab more ice. This works great if u have the power to turn it.
    Now that's interesting. Never thought of that before. What do you use for shims? Regular wood shims or plastic or what?

I would go to northern knives on 5th. I take a pile of assorted knives to him every time I go to Anchorage. Cant hurt to give him a try. He also sharpens knives free for military.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Now that's interesting. Never thought of that before. What do you use for shims? Regular wood shims or plastic or what?
    Cut up a soda can and shim with a piece of that.

I used a couple small thin washers but i can see a soda/beer can doing the same deal. It dont take much thats for sure.

I'm assuming it's a hand auger, and if I were you, I'd just go out and buy 2 new sets of auger blades. Put one on, keep the other as a spare.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm in the "buy new" corner as well. Over and done.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

i used to take mine to northern knives, think it was less that $10, super sharp