Thread: Snare Pole (Tangent to "Hope this is only the beginning")

Default Snare Pole (Tangent to "Hope this is only the beginning")

In the other post a lot of discussion about dispatching has started. I felt it was most appropriate to start a new thread...

I like Bushrats idea of a clean dispatch with no bullet hole and no bashing the fur. I was just curious if anyone uses a snare pole. I made one with some 3/4" PVC schedule 40 (thicker wall). I put a cap on one end then drilled a hole in the center. then right above where the cap fits drilled another hole. I ran some rubber coated 3/32" cable through the end and back into the side and affixed a stop. I also put a standard coupler with no glue in the center so it can be broken down and just bent into 2, 3 foot sections. Then on the handle I used a clothes line tightener to make it so an animal cannot pull back out even if I can't hold the cable. To terminate the cable I just used a double ferrul to make a loop big enough for my largest glove.
    Just wondering what some of you more seasoned trappers thought of this idea? BTW it cost me about $20 to build (clothes line tightener was $10)
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

i built one just about the same as yours....just haven't need to use it yet
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Just gotta ask, is SharksInTheSalsa a refrence to the original Clerks?

Cloths line tightener GREAT idea

Roger that AKPyron. Instead of a clothesline tightener i just cut a groove in the end and tied a knot every couple of inches. So i can pull as hard as i can then just put the line in the groove and it will hold on the knot.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I use snarepoles on lynx in footholds. Very effective. Maybe workable on fox and yote. Marten mink too small and squeezing heart suffices. Larger animals, wolf/wolverine may be too large to safely control. 22 in the chest for them. Their skulls are worth some money so 22 in the head is a loss.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info MartenTrapper. Wouldn't have thought about saving the skulls! All my marten sets will be coni's, if I can ever frigginfind somewhere to set!

Sharkskin... bad *****

AKDude... Yeah its really effictive and holds super tight. I found them on amazon for I think 2 for 18 bucks. Only problem was they don't fit correctly in 3/4" pvc so I just got another coupler and epoxied it into the coupler and then put it on the pole with no glue.

Just came across this link to a video of making your own plain jane catch pole and thought I would share.

http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com...-a-catch-pole/

Fancy catch pole? geeesh what a bunch of weenies... Who needs a fancy catch pole when all you need is a stick!

Didnt cost us a dime, if we lose it we go get another one and it only takes seconds to make!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

LOL I guess I just like building crap too much lol. I even built my own setting tongs and I did it just to do it. I could have bought them for about 2 bucks more than it cost me to build them lol

It's ok Pyron...at least it gives you guys something to do. Keeps ya out of our hair! lol...We might get fancy and make my next stick out of diamond Willow.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I just use a snare attached to a length of #9 wire. Work slowly, be patient and you can usually loop the snare around the head without too much fuss.

[QUOTE=Huntress;842035]It's ok Pyron...at least it gives you guys something to do. Keeps ya out of our hair! lolQUOTE]

LOL thats why my wife lets me do it!