Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December deer in Sitka questions...

Question December deer in Sitka questions...

I will be flying into Sitka on the 15th of December for some deer hunting. I will be heading out early the next morning to a cabin for some much needed outdoors time. I will be out there for one night and two days. I am curious as to where the deer will most likely be and what the better tactics are for success. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Also curious if there will still be bears combing the beaches looking for those last second snacks before shackin up. Be neat to have a mixed bag like that. Look forward to everyone's input. In Arizona right now and will be trying to get my uncle on a bull Elk this coming weekend...will post a pic if successful...

AZinAK

Wow thats a long ways to come for 13 hrs of daylight hunting (Two days in Dec.). It's VERY unlikely you'll even cross a bear track. Bucks could be loosing their racks. Still hunt the oldgrowth in the bottoms.

Yeah, it's just the first opportunity this fall for me and I am all about getting out just to get out. Not too worried about the bucks not having racks or not. Would like to just get some delicious meat in the freezer. I figured the bears would be shacked up for the winter by then, was just curious. Appreciate the info, even with the "this guy is retarded" undertones... Look forward to hear more...

AZinAK

Although not in Sitka, I killed one of my biggest Sitka Blacktails on Dec 15th a number of years ago. Just don't be shocked if the horns pop off when they hit the dirt. One thing for sure is that they sure don't stick around very long when you run into them.

Horns were on him when I shot him! Nothing a little gorilla glue couldn't fix though.

What cabin (Forest rental)? Do u have a boat to get around? Seen bucks with racks and bear tracks during that time frame. Deer will be low, boating traffic will be down. Just moved from there, would love to be there right now for the rut.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Appreciate the info, even with the "this guy is retarded" undertones... Look forward to hear more...

AZinAK
    Dont think that was the case. Pretty sure he was just making sure you were aware of the VERY short days (which I'm sure was evident) in Dec. I cant say anything ribbin' ya as I just got back from there and didn't have a WHOLE lot more hunting time than that...

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Lovin' the SUV deer haul! Wife approve that? Better to beg for forgiveness right?

I'd be interested to know what cabin as well (if you care to share).

Like Bighorse says..low and slow!! BTW, Bighorse, did ya connect this morning?

That's my "I've got 4 kids" suv. That poor rig has seen several bears and lots of deer, not to mention piles of wet waders, a dog, just about everything else to do with the outdoors.

Yeah hunt_ak...I know, I just like making a point of good fun when I can on here. Especially when coming from who seem to be good natured guys like Bighorse...there is so many people to make a point to tell others how stupid they are, I like showing it can be without ill intent. I respect Bighorse from how he carries himself on this forum, and I have never met the man. Seems like a class act. I am not sure which cabin or where. I'm being told my sister in-laws boyfriend owns it and takes his boat out to it. He is a Chief in the Coast Guard...I'm sure he knows his stuff, I just like getting as much info as possible about anything I set out to do. Thanks for the info so far guys...keep it coming...

AZinAK

No connect on Sunday HuntAK. The location we went into had hunters the previous day and made a fresh kill and tromped around all over the place. The deer also were roaming around all night with a full moon. We saw some does but nothing to get excited about.

Thanks for the consideration AZinAK. I wishin' ya the best and hope you have a productive trip. If you land at False Island I've seen some good deer come from there. With some snow your likely to get some shooting done. Good hunting to ya.

Dec 15th... on the beach.

Sobie2

Nothing like the little bit of fresh snow in Juneau to help push em down farther...

Speaking of which...gotta go check the trailcam in the AM....

Here's something to add to this...I will be taking a Browning A Bolt Stalker chambered in .300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9x40 on it. Of course shooting a really light grain bullet, is this set up good or will it hamper me in the timber? All the years hunting I never had a problem with a scoped rifle except once when I was 10 or so on a Javelina hunt. It was about 10 yards from me and all I could see was hair...had to wait for it to run out a bit before I could see where on the animal I was aiming...

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Here's something to add to this...I will be taking a Browning A Bolt Stalker chambered in .300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9x40 on it. Of course shooting a really light grain bullet, is this set up good or will it hamper me in the timber? All the years hunting I never had a problem with a scoped rifle except once when I was 10 or so on a Javelina hunt. It was about 10 yards from me and all I could see was hair...had to wait for it to run out a bit before I could see where on the animal I was aiming...

AZinAK
    I've been hunting with a 300wm with a 3-9x40 Zeiss...not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I've been hunting with a 300wm with a 3-9x40 Zeiss...not a problem...
    Good to hear...

I only have SEVERE limited SE AK deer hunting experience (maybe 8 or 9 hours total), but a lot of the time you won't be fighting light with your scope nearly as much as trying to keep your scope lenses water and fog free. Its just a matter of when (not if) your lenses will get water on them so have a rag handy at all times for a quick wipe of the lenses when you see a deer.

That said I wished I would have brought my lever gun with open sights as it would have eliminated that problem as well as gave me some style points in the field

Cool Great info...

Great pointer Alaska_Lanche!!! I try and mix in a combat roll randomly into my hunts for style...depending on conditions, not the best. Javelina, Coues Whitetail or Quail in Arizona usually involved cactus needles somewhere in me. I may steal your style making idea...could save me some pain and keep me drive up here in Alaska. The rag tip is awesome. Little tips like this that can really make the difference. This is why I love this forum and MOST of the people on here. Thanks again! Keep them coming...

AZinAK

I was tending my scope with a towel every 15 minutes or so. Moving slowly and checking my optics often....yeah, we learned the hard way....

Gosh, i sure would want more than two days hunting for such a trip... Are you going to be doing this alone? I would highly recomend you try at least an hour or two of rattling, even this late it will get some attention, i promise.

I would personally spend most of my time hunting thicker stuff, lots of still hunting. Be a great help if you had anyone familuar with the area to give you pointers, scouting is invaluable unless you have hunted the area extensively over the years.

P.s give the rattling a try if your having trouble locating anything, i have had good success rattling in coastal blacktails before and after the rut, i stick with 25-30 minute rattling sessions with some bleats by mouth mixed in, maybe a grunt or two.

P.S have fun.

Thanks for the reply. I will be there with a local and some family. My time down there just worked out to be two full days of hunting. I will actually be there for a little over three days. I'll give the rattling a try. Also curious if anyone is still seeing bears out?

AZinAK

We're staying in the Allan Point cabin. Anyone have pointers as to where to hunt in that area and how the deer population is around there? Thanks in advance...

AZinAK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast