Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Heaters????

Default Boat Heaters????

So, does anyone have an opinion on a good heater for a boat? I am looking at making the cuddy of my 22-ft C-Dory a little more comfortable for my wife without asphyiating her, and me for that matter. I have tried some small propane non-direct venting heaters, but they don't cut the mustard. Any help would be appreciated.

What is your budget? This has been discussed many times. Espar and Webasto should be put on your short list. I have the Espar airtronic D4. It sips kerosene and his easy on the house battery bank.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I suppose a few hundred bucks, but I really have no concept of cost for such a device. Although, I should up the ante to keep my wife smiling.

I apologize if I am re-hashing old topics here, as I have not frequented the Boating forums much in the past. What in the hell is "asphyiating", I meant asphyxiating.

I used a Big Buddy and remote propane tank in a 20' hewes with good results. It has a built in blower for circulation, beyond that, it's a wet heat, like alcohol. I would have to keep the side curtains open to prevent fogging over. It has a built in oxygen sensor for safety. Quite honestly though, if you want a good, dry, heat, you need to a heater that uses fuel oil, or kerosene as Pete (spoiled one) mentioned. There really isn't a substitute. Doesn't your C-Dory have a fuel fired Wallas heater?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I suspect you are going to be into an Espar for a couple of grand. I really, really like mine and as you stated a happy wife equates to a happy husband. I suspect that you could get by with a smaller unit and save some money. Your heating a smaller area than I am and your C-Dory isn't the heat sink that my alloy hull is. I had a wallas 1300 in my old hewescraft and it sure was a fickle unit. My Espar fires up on the first try each time. I run continously.

I have the Espar D2 which was a little cheaper than the D4 but after running the Delta Clear water this fall I wish I would have shelled out a little more money for the D4. But I have canvas thats not sealed up. I would think in a cuddy cabin it would be fine.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I had a Toyotomi installed in my boat two years ago. It takes either kerosene or diesel. My cabin is 10' by 10' and that heater puts our way more heat than is required. Unfortunately, the boat has been put up for the season and the manual is in the boat, so I can't tell you the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post
    I had a Toyotomi installed in my boat two years ago. It takes either kerosene or diesel. My cabin is 10' by 10' and that heater puts our way more heat than is required. Unfortunately, the boat has been put up for the season and the manual is in the boat, so I can't tell you the model number.
    Its probably the Toyo NS 2800. Unfortunately, they are no longer making them.
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What is your budget? This has been discussed many times. Espar and Webasto should be put on your short list. I have the Espar airtronic D4. It sips kerosene and his easy on the house battery bank.
    I would agree with the spoiled one, I have a Airtronics D4 and I couldn't be happier. They aren't cheap but you get a good reliable, dry, properly vented heat source. Ebay is the most cost affective place to purchase. My wife loves the thing and a happy wife certainly makes for a happy husband.

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    I would agree with the spoiled one, I have a Airtronics D4 and I couldn't be happier. They aren't cheap but you get a good reliable, dry, properly vented heat source. Ebay is the most cost affective place to purchase. My wife loves the thing and a happy wife certainly makes for a happy husband.
    If you go this route, just make sure you get the marine kit, not the truck kit. I have kicked mine on during the mid winter cold snaps and it will maintain T-shirt weather at -20.

Try West marine, and search for cozy cabin heater, it's a vented propane heater for about $500,works great no moisture,plenty of heat for a large cabin, and won't shut off in rough seas.

I've tried 3 different wallace heater's and they are very expensive and don't stand up to heavy use.

Thanks for the insight folks. I figure with the small cuddy I have, the airtronics might be a little overkill. I'll keep the research going for a warm spring boat run.

Two downsides of the cozy cabin heater, you have the hot exhaust stack that somebody could burn their hands on, and if you keep an inflatable on top of your cabin, you have a hot exhaust that is going to melt it.

I'm planning on getting a wallas, combination heater and stove, burns diesel, and the exhaust vent is out the side.

I have a dickinson propane heater installed in the starboard rear corner of the cabin on my short-cabin 26' hewes. It runs without battery power. It does have a small circ fan on it, but I've not yet taken the time to wire it up because it works fine radiating and drafting naturally. The stack is an annular type, with combustion air drawn in through the annulus, and the exhaust leaving the center. It's not cool to touch while operating, and it's not anything you'd want touching things for a long time, but you won't burn your hand if you brush against it. It's a pretty bonehead simple, efficient, and cozy little sucker. The termination fitting on the exhaust outside the boat does get hot, and you don't want it touching inflatables or fish poles or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Two downsides of the cozy cabin heater, you have the hot exhaust stack that somebody could burn their hands on, and if you keep an inflatable on top of your cabin, you have a hot exhaust that is going to melt it.

I'm planning on getting a wallas, combination heater and stove, burns diesel, and the exhaust vent is out the side.
    I have the Wallas combo as well....Great heater! Since new in 2003 I've only had to replace the glow plug once $40. My fuel pump is acting up so will be replacing it this year but other then that it heats the cabin great while anchored up and you obtain fuel right from the vessel tank. I have 40,0000 btu Heater Craft heater/defroster that runs off the engines for heating while underway.

DEC dickinson stove.jpg 19 years old and still going strong.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I had a Wallas single burner stove with the blower lid that stopped working after about 25 hours of use and I just have not felt like sending it in. I also have the 40D Wallas furnace that stopped working after about 500 hours. Sent the furnace in and after about 2 months and $500 dollars I got it back. Re installed it and it worked ok until I got below 1/2 a tank of fuel in my main tank. I installed a smaller tank near the furnace and now it works ok. The down side to the Wallas furnace it runs all the time all you set is the amount of heat you want. I give up on the cook stove it is cheaper to buy a Honda Generator 2000Watt and use a hot plate. The generator can charge your batteries and cook your meals at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    DEC dickinson stove.jpg 19 years old and still going strong.
    I think I seen one of those on the Waltons, Does that burn wood or coal? You cooking Thanksgiving turkey in that? That's definitely more than just a heater.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I had a Wallas single burner stove with the blower lid that stopped working after about 25 hours of use and I just have not felt like sending it in. I also have the 40D Wallas furnace that stopped working after about 500 hours. Sent the furnace in and after about 2 months and $500 dollars I got it back. Re installed it and it worked ok until I got below 1/2 a tank of fuel in my main tank. I installed a smaller tank near the furnace and now it works ok. The down side to the Wallas furnace it runs all the time all you set is the amount of heat you want. I give up on the cook stove it is cheaper to buy a Honda Generator 2000Watt and use a hot plate. The generator can charge your batteries and cook your meals at the same time.
    Check the to see if the glow plug is out. They're $40 I think to replace. Unless something in the circuit board went out there's not much to them... If its not coming on at all, check the fuse inside. There's a 3amp car fuse in there that can go out and cause it to not even come on. The fuel pump is the only other thing that can go bad. Ok the glass top can get cracked if someone closes the lid on something.

DEC bunk stove.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I think I seen one of those on the Waltons, Does that burn wood or coal? You cooking Thanksgiving turkey in that? That's definitely more than just a heater.
    Its a Dickenson Bristol oil stove, one of the best things i ever put on my boat, keeps the cabin warm dry and cozy. They make a small about 12" square diesel heater, thats what i would put on a smaller boat, needs no power to run just a gravity tank to fuel it with.
    Newport Diesel Boat or RV Cabin Heater
    Bulkhead mounted diesel fireplace. Ideal for boats 30/36 ft. Should be mounted as low as possible on the bulkhead to provide excellent, dry, comfortable heat convection, to provide good natural draft and to reduce through deck stack temperatures. Manufactured in stainless steel. 3 diameter chimney accessories required.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwngqkMQ_k

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast