Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Sheep Drawing Strategies

Thumbs down Changing Sheep Drawing Strategies

It will be interesting if hunters will change their drawing applications due to the chinook winter storm that is presently hitting the Interior. People in the know do realize that these freezing rain storms kill more dall sheep than any other artificial, natural or pathological phenomena.

There is a really interesting report done by NPS about settlements in the North Wrangells where the sheep population crashed due to freezing rain.

It will be interesting to see if people concentrate on the Chugach areas where the freezing rain storms are less prevalent or if they will continue to do the drawing applications with similar patterns.

The sheep got an extra month of green feed so I hope they do well. There is a lot of deep wet snow at the Tsaina station so the Chugaches might be funked up as well.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas,

Really astute observation on your part. We got recently hammered with much more snow than normal for this time of year, and the other day I noticed when we were breaking trail that there were several layers of ice in this last 20 inches, some of which came when it was near 32 degrees as tiny hail. Had to cancel going out today cuz of high winds and the projected rain, which is just now arriving as sleet.

Gonna really make it hard on the moose. Up north if it gets there it will make it hard on the caribou. Out west they already got some rain too which can hammer the caribou. Can't control mother nature...they said we were in for a doozy of a winter and so far it's coming true.

I wonder if it is still rain at 3000+ feet elevation. It is definitely something to think about but I would expect that it is wholly possible that the sheep are only seeing snow.... One can hope anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wonder if it is still rain at 3000+ feet elevation. It is definitely something to think about but I would expect that it is wholly possible that the sheep are only seeing snow.... One can hope anyway!
    Doubtful. We live at about 1,800' here in Eagle River, and it was considerably warmer up there. There was a pretty significant inversion this morning - 36 degrees at my house, which dropped to 27 degrees by time I made it down to town. It was solid rain up high - not freezing rain like down in town.

Thomas....none, well few, of us know what you do about weather patterns and sheep mortality.
    this little wrinkle of statewide weather will not affect even 1% of us who apply for permits......in my conversational opinion.....

...lots of inversion weather stuff lately in the Chugach, which made for a most sensatonal hiking day yesterday, Sunday!

Brian, I just got the same news from a buddy up Hatcher Pass. No good.

bummer, better hold off on sheep draw apps till next year.....crud.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talking

Yeah, the whole Winter package will be important. Worst care scenario is tons of snow and a longer Winter after periods of icing. Then all game will suffer. I agree that people should probably avoid putting in for any draws in the interior. I apologize in advance as I already filed and did not know it would ice.......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

ya i'd pull my app if i could but...geez. i appreciate heads up and woulda been better served saving my money for christmas presents or something for my wife....
    Master guide 212

You can change you applications after submitting them this year. I'm not sure if you can pull it all together, but you can change your choices.

What are you going to change too? This storm is hitting all the sheep country from the Chugach to the Brooks. Waiting till next year will be no better, it will kill sheep of all ages this year. Bummer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Figures that I would draw a DCUA tag on the last good sheep season for the next decade and not get to hunt it...

You have to see behind the lines. This is a ploy on the part of thomas and brnbr to redirect hunter apps away from the areas they want to hunt.
    There have been winters out here where winter rain effected caribou negatively, and there have been other warm spells that effected them positively.
    Likely too early to tell what this weather system will do to any species winter survival.
    I'm on to you, thomas.............hahaha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MT - As usual - right on the spot! What they say about "fools and cheechakoes" predicting the weather equally applies here!
    Jo (Ak)

You might say that I am hoping that the Eastern Alaska Range near Tok draws a miss. However, most who really know me mean realize that although I have to teach in Fairbanks(Kid in HS/Politics in CRSD) I pretty much am watching weather patterns in South Wrangells and Eastern Chugach for a reason. While it is getting close to a temperature inversion there it is less than here.

The Eastern Brooks might also do ok. I do know that if the temperature levels out before it gets cold that the sheep should be ok. However, if it spikes down then we will see a population crash.
    The early ice storms in 1989 and 1992 significantly hit the lambs and ewes because they weren't ready with their undercoats. If their undercoats get wet and cold then they die.

Chinooks that are a little later yet get really cold are the big time killers.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

lol i can't belive you guys thought i'd change my sheep apps..alaska happens. keep on hunting.
    Master guide 212

I would say some are over reacting here, it is what it is, and you are banking on even drawing to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol i can't belive you guys thought i'd change my sheep apps..alaska happens. keep on hunting.
    Well, can't fault ya for trying! *laffin*. Good goin, Jake!

Well F&G can just hit "delete", save all the sheep and keep our money. Maybe someone changed the HAARP settings!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

They're not freezing to death, they're rutting. ADN told me so:
    http://www.adn.com/2010/11/19/156341...again-arm.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast