Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What holster and hand gun did Dick Proenneke carry at Twin Lakes?

Question What holster and hand gun did Dick Proenneke carry at Twin Lakes?

Watching his videos I was trying to figure out what hand gun and holster he carried. Looks like a Ruger Blackhawk? in an unknown leather shoulder holster. Looks like a nice rig...

In the book he references a .357 on his hip, I don't know the make and model though. If I remember he had a sporterized 1903 in 30.06 and his .357 and that was it to my knowledge. What a great adventurer and story teller!

Mountaintrekker

I have been watching all three CDs on Youtube. He was quite the outdoorsman!

I believe its a Ruger 357 that he carried
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've read two of his books (would like to know if there are more) and watched the video. Fascinating man, Bushrat I believe knew him. maybe he'll chime in. I remember he did have both a .357 and the '06.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Very cool! Proenneke would have been the ultimate outdoorsdman to learn from! Would like to know about him.

He had a Blackhawk in .357 and an '03. I believe that was in his unabridged journals, not the Keith book.

Agreed- quite the outdoorsman.

I have the Keith book, like to read more that is written by the man himself, not a book writer. Good book though and great pictures.

The second book I read was a compilation of Dick's own un-edited journals from (iirc) 1974 through 1980. A very good read.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

the youtube video's are amazing in their quality...what an interesting man. his knowledge and understanding, especially for the time was immense. building his cabin, and the finish work was something i've never seen before. this is so much fun...thanks dick!
    happy trails.
    jh

What is the name of that book? That is a must read for me!

The one book that I read was by Sam Keith, One Mans Wilderness, an Alaskan Odyssey. That was very good but I haven't seen the others that are referred to; Dick's own writings. Would like to see them also. --- This book, One Mans Wilderness is available on this forum, that is where I bought it.

Here is a link to the PDF journals entrusted to the NPS. It is free and about a 50 meg download so be prepared before you click the link from work <grin>

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/o.../proenneke.pdf

One of the more interesting tales I have heard about Dick was that when he first built his cabin, he didn't have a permit to build one, only to cut firewood. when the park ranger visited and complained and threatened to make him tear it down, Proenneke said "Are there any rules against how I stack my firewood?" So, they let him keep the 'stack of firewood" cabin! I don't know if it is true but it does add to the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    One of the more interesting tales I have heard about Dick was that when he first built his cabin, he didn't have a permit to build one, only to cut firewood. when the park ranger visited and complained and threatened to make him tear it down, Proenneke said "Are there any rules against how I stack my firewood?" So, they let him keep the 'stack of firewood" cabin! I don't know if it is true but it does add to the legend.
    And a Tale it is. As that was not a National Park when he built the cabin. It is a long story about how the Park Service interacted with Dick. I was living on Lake Clark at the time. The Park Service was not embraced when they set-up camp out there.

Great man for sure and I truely respect him.For prospective though when he was starting his cabin I was finishing my two years in RVN with dreams of comming back to Alaska.Yes he was much older but its still a in my lifetime thing. Many on here say get over the old days past those days are gone but Dicks cabin story starts in 68 and goes to 2003,its not old days its in our lifetime and recent.We think of the greats Dick,Joe Want P&T as a time long past but really was just yesterday
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Great man for sure and I truely respect him.For prospective though when he was starting his cabin I was finishing my two years in RVN with dreams of comming back to Alaska.Yes he was much older but its still a in my lifetime thing. Many on here say get over the old days past those days are gone but Dicks cabin story starts in 68 and goes to 2003,its not old days its in our lifetime and recent.We think of the greats Dick,Joe Want P&T as a time long past but really was just yesterday
    His cabin stay is well within my lifetime too and he started out at an age that many in the lower 48 would find hardly believable. He was a tough fella for sure. I worked with a park guide in Ohio that was 84 at the time and he was outwalking the 18 year olds in the class through ravines! He is truly unstoppable. Historic Alaskan settlers have alot to still teach and we must never silence that!

I spent many hours talking with Carl Charsmith in Yosemite,what a man passed at 91.Folks like Joe are a treasure we still have with us but like many treasures folks don't want to take time to get through the Barnacles to get to the Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I spent many hours talking with Carl Charsmith in Yosemite,what a man passed at 91.Folks like Joe are a treasure we still have with us but like many treasures folks don't want to take time to get through the Barnacles to get to the Gold
    I have always preferred to learn from older generations about the outdoors and homesteading. My really good friend from my gun club Bill Cunningham passed away this year. He was a wealth of knowledge and accomplished alot in his life that I hope to do also. He is greatly missed by all at the club.

My wife and I did our 5 years homesteading to the North-East of the head of Kachemak Bay in the 1990s. Built our place with an Alaska MK III chainsaw mill. A far cry from the incredible handwork Dick did, but we were truly blessed, I believe, to have been able to live those wonderful years in the bush. I miss it all the time, but health and circumstances sent us off on a different trail. He was one h--l of a guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast