Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior Roads... Absolutley stay home if you can

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Interior Roads... Absolutley stay home if you can

I know wrong forum but want as many to see as possible...

the roads are the worst i have ever seen them... if you can STAY HOME. solid ice max speed 15-20 extremely hazardous.. school buses all over are being recalled

my F450 will NOT STOP pointed down hill..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is about an understatement. The roads are horrible. Good day to work from home.

vince how was the highway, ie the rich and in town? I don't have the option of staying home, but you know how far my drive is so how much time will I need?
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Is it worse than the ice storm in 02/03 winter that had all the buses off the road all over town? I remember that one it was hold on to your *** and slide till you were stopped by something else
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Andrew it took me an hour and 15 to get from my house to lathrop... if you must go out... leave Extremely early, and plan on 5 times the stopping distance.. the rain just start at about 0530 so we have a few hour of it getting worse before it gets any better at all.... as the water is freezing soon as it hits the ground..

the ambulance is just going by.... VERY slow with siren blaring...

I bet if you call and ask... they will let you stay home...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Don't most have chains? I don't go anywhere without a full set of chains and a bucket of sand.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Its like that from Anchorage, into the interior, and up on the Slope is the same way too....I'd venture there are few roads that haven't seen this mess this morning.....SLOW DOWN!!!

Anchorage is as bad........every 1 degree hill/road is a total "parking lot" due to vehicles without studded tires....

Default Be careful

People at work said North Pole to Fairbanks was way over 1 hour. Crazy! A bus was sideways in front of Pikes, cars looked like they were growing out of the ditches/berms, vehicles were sliding sideways everywhich way but the right way.
    Commercial vehicles were stopped on the road just to stay out of everybody's way and to not add to the hazard.
    My drive is less than 6 miles, and level except for the on ramp from Chena Pump to the Paks Hwy. Well mostly level. I did not think it was such a big deal when I left, but in hindsight, I should be home playing with the dog and drinking coffee.
    You can't help your company, or family, if you are stuck in a ditch or get in an accident. 4 wheel drive was barely helping me. I don't see how the Mustangs and other 1 wheel wonders were making any headway at all.
    I hear it is raining pretty much over the whole state.

It is bad in town. I didn't even make it to the truck before my feet came out and I cracked my elbow, head, and hip in the frozen asphault....

I don't have studs on my diesel and didn't have much problem stopping or going but I went slow. Everyone was going slow - everyone knew how slick it is.

Very glad that the wife's truck has studs on all 4's.

I couldn't imagine driving very far on any highway.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    Is it worse than the ice storm in 02/03 winter that had all the buses off the road all over town? I remember that one it was hold on to your *** and slide till you were stopped by something else
    yes cause then we did not have new snow on the roads still... it went from -30 to +36 that night and started raining... there is little to now standing even on the road out fron of the office. i am calling clients and telling them all to stay home too...

If nothing else... Stay put for several hours and let the sanders do the work they need to...

meet on face book here

well I just went and fed the ducks, and even they are staying inside today. If a bunch of ducks that go outside at -30 won't go out in the rain it must be bad. then I started the car and tried to move it, it just slid sideways then got stuck. and I am on level ground! Time to call the boss and say I'm taking a snow errrrr ice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It is bad in town. I didn't even make it to the truck before my feet came out and I cracked my elbow, head, and hip in the frozen asphault....

I don't have studs on my diesel and didn't have much problem stopping or going but I went slow. Everyone was going slow - everyone knew how slick it is.

Very glad that the wife's truck has studs on all 4's.

I couldn't imagine driving very far on any highway.

LOL try it in a Dually... the only reason i did not turn around and go home is that i was not sure i would get back up the hill i had just slid down...

I crested the hill above Nordale, on CHSR.. and slid all the way down.. past the three busses spun out in the other lane. one dual chewing at the plow berm the rest... not doing nothing..

I dropped it off to get service and got a shuttle to work ....

meet on face book here

It took me about an hour to make into Fairbanks from the other side of North Pole this morning. Worst I've ever seen, including '02/'03. All things considered, not too many off the road, but most of the ones that I did see were 4WD trucks. People get overconfident. I had mine in 2WD all the way in. My road didn't seem that bad when I left home. It was a little squirrely, but not too bad as long as I didn't try to accelerate or stop too quick. I didn't want to pull over and put it in 4WD (manual hubs) because I was afraid someone would start sliding and hit me. I will before I go home, though. Made the oldest boy ride with me this morning. He wasn't happy about it, but by the time we got to town he'd changed his mind.

I checked the forecast. Supposed to be like this for the rest of today and tomorrow, then cooling off the rest of the week. I imagine if that is the case they will cancel school tomorrow. UAF has already canceled classes for the day.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Just cause you got the day off don't mean bird hunting is an option

Freezing rain makes travel hazardous in Fairbanks
    by Chris Freiberg / cfreiberg@newsminer.com Fairbanks Daily News Miner
    Nov 21, 2010 | 23816 views | 95 | | 64 | |

Updated 10:43 a.m. Monday

Roads are very icy with multiple accidents reported this morning. A five-car pileup is blocking the Richardson on-ramp to the Mitchell Expressway. A bus was blocking the Steese Highway at Farmer's Loop just after 9 a.m.

Alaska Department of Transportation says travel not advised on the Parks Highway between Nenana and Fairbanks. They said there is more than 1 inch of ice on the road.

Fairbanks Police and Alaska State Troopers are advising people to stay off the roads unless it's absolutely essential.

Middle school buses have been canceled.

Schools are open for students who are there and students will be bused home. If students are still home, parents are advised not to try to take them to school.

Fort Wainwright is open, said Linda Douglass, Fort Wainwright public affairs officer, at 9:45 a.m. "We're not encouraging people to drive, but we're not closed."

All military vehicles except those used for emergencies have been ordered off the road, she said, but that order doesn't apply to non-military vehicles, Douglass said. If people have appointments at the hospital, for example, they are able to enter the post, she said. Anyone with questions can call her at 353-6701, she said.

Eielson Air Force Base is open.

Tanana Chiefs Conference offices are closed.

Classes have been canceled at the University of Alaska Fairbanks through 5 p.m. today.

Fairbanks borough has canceled bus service today.

We will update this story throughout the day.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Freezing rain makes travel hazardous in Fairbanks

meet on face book here

FNSD just announced school canncelled tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I know wrong forum but want as many to see as possible...

the roads are the worst i have ever seen them... if you can STAY HOME. solid ice max speed 15-20 extremely hazardous.. school buses all over are being recalled

my F450 will NOT STOP pointed down hill..
    Certainly agree 100% about staying home - however - IF YOU ARE USING TIRE CHAINS -= RATHER THAN THOSE "WOOSEY" STUDDED TIRES! shouldn't have any trouble ! even with these road conditions! Can post pictures for those not familiar with these "ancient" devices!.
    Joe
    (good advice about just "staying home")

Sat for 2.5 hours on the steese this morning without moving. When I got to Farmers loop I said screw it and headed back home. The northbound lane was a lot better for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    IF YOU ARE USING TIRE CHAINS -= RATHER THAN THOSE "WOOSEY" STUDDED TIRES! shouldn't have any trouble ! even with these road conditions! Can post pictures for those not familiar with these "ancient" devices!.
    Joe
    Yup,
    There is absolutely no reason on earth why anyone should have been late to work or in the ditch, because of a little bit of ice on the roads. It takes no more than ten minutes to put a set of chains on. So Simple, even a Caveman can do it. But the Educated Masses run around skidding and sliding into the ditch. Funny guys, these Educated Ones.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Delta just canceled school also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast